Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Legacy SS
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious when the turbo kicks in for the 97 sti-ra. my brother owns this car in hK and he told me that turbo spools from 6000 rpm....something seems strange.....

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1995 S14 w/S14 SR
1,323 Posts
its a vf23 on those motors right? That should spool around the 3k range I thought... I can't speak from personal experience but no way it is 6k...

If it was a GT35r, maybe the 6k claim would make sense

·
Registered
70 Posts
my buddy has the same ra engine as you and it starts pulling at around 3000rpms and is like holy shit at 4000rpms! Not to mention this baby pulls right up to around 7500rpms. lets just say its stupid fast common from a 2.2l legacy.

·
Registered
95 RHD WRX
1,799 Posts
dairybarry said:
my buddy has the same ra engine as you and it starts pulling at around 3000rpms and is like holy shit at 4000rpms! Not to mention this baby pulls right up to around 7500rpms. lets just say its stupid fast common from a 2.2l legacy.
Thats pretty characteristic of my 20g, and about the same in my friends 20k. Spool starts at 3000 but doesn't hit full boost until around 4200rpm. Yeah that seems high, but its not bad when you can rev to 8000rpm.

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS Raccoon eye'd
25 Posts
ok so on the 20k, what are the general characteristics in the sub 2700 rpm range? all the wrx's and sti's(2.5L, i know....) i've driven have had great low rpm power... but i'm curious as to how the JDM engine does. anyone have any experience with really bad turbo lag/bogging in those low rpms?

·
Registered
70 Posts
FunkMasta said:
ok so on the 20k, what are the general characteristics in the sub 2700 rpm range? all the wrx's and sti's(2.5L, i know....) i've driven have had great low rpm power... but i'm curious as to how the JDM engine does. anyone have any experience with really bad turbo lag/bogging in those low rpms?
with my friends RA tranny the gearing is extremely short so there is rarely any turbo lag what so ever. even on the stock rs tranny i really didn't have any trouble driving it below 3000rpms. In addition the ej20k revs really smoothly as in the throttle is really responsive it picks up into boost relatively quick. in all honesty turbo lag isn't that bad especially when you have an 8k redline and the moment you shift it still puts you in boost. i've driven with an 03 wrx and an 05wrx and by far the the turbo was much more laggier than the 20k and ran out of breath much sooner than the it.

·
Registered
91 Legacy SS
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you everyone.....he thinks his RPM gauge/cluster is messed up.....he'll have to get it checked out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts