Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 impreza outback sport
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Im sorta new to subies, im young but i know how to work on cars, i know about hondas haha, just not savy on subarus yet. ive got a 97 impreza obs ej22 phase 1 im hoping to get 200-250hp out of! im thinking 2.5 heads, sti exhaust and downpipe and TMIC, redtop injectors fuel pump. all the usual stuff as far as thats concerned. new oem internals or ej22t internals perhaps? and then i have no idea about the ecu. i heard something about a wrx ecu? but not sure on that :confused: id perfer not to do a swap.. idk why. just kinda wanna build it ya know? any ideas appreciated and ur opinions or improvements on my ideas are welcome! thanks for your help and patience!! :bitehard:

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Welcome to the club.

Ok, I don't think 200-250 is an unreasonable goal if you're planning on turboing the stock 2.2.

Start here:
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f7/t7280...nduction-thread-everything-you-need-know.html

A lot of people go with 2.5 heads. I'd look more into better pistons and rods. Stock TMICs are good, but using a bellmouth or other open style aftermarket downpipe is going to net you more gains. On stock turbo Subies, the downpipe is the main source of power restriction and can add 25% of power between that and a tune for it.

The size of the turbo you choose is going to designate what injectors and fuel pump you need. Anytime you go bigger than stock WRX/STI turbos, you need larger injectors and fuel pumps (or should I say 90% of the time?). For example, if you use a TD04, you'll need WRX injectors from those years WRXs... VF39, STI injectors, etc.

Lastly, tuning is a biggie! That makes everything work, or blows it all up.

My questions: how many miles on this 2.2 engine? What's your budget? Can you afford having the car down for months on end?

·
Registered
97 impreza outback sport
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for replying! the problem im finding with internals is not really finding much options haha so im not sure where to go. and can i use the stock ecu and chip it and tune it? or can i use a different one like out of a wrx or leagcy gt? its got about 215,xxx on it, runs strong doesnt burn. and i wont really dig into the motor til i get my other project out of the way so ill be able to take my time on it and have something elses to drive. as far as budget im not sure. im pertty flexible but i dont wanna get too crazy on spending the dough lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts