Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am going down the route of custom suspension. I would really like to stay with a strut and spring combo and stay away from coilovers.

I have seen here and elsewhere that custom valving stock struts is a thing.

Heres the deal:
2400lb Coupe, body panels and frame are 96L
V9 swap - everything, including the wheels.

The problem is the ride is very harsh. I have JDM pink lowering springs on stock JDM struts.

I dont mind that it is harsh, I am afraid it's too harsh and I would have to deal with rear wheel lift in a high speed corner due to the dampening.

I dont run a rear sway bar, I have stock JDM front swaybar and endlinks.

The springs are constantly maxed out, even with me in it (250lb). When ingest another 250lb in the passenger seat it feels like a different car.

What does everyone think? Ultimately this will be an SCCA road race vehicle, in the process of updating it requirements.

I have spoken with a team at Rallysport Direct who are volunteering to aid and help design the suspension. I dont mind sticking with them, but curious -

Does anyone else have a lightened coupe with 5x114? What suspension routes have you tried and decided on?

·
Registered
'95 JDM WRX wagon 2.5T
257 Posts
What are your wheel centre to arch measurements? How much fuel in the tank, when you take the measurements.
Is your JDM suspension the inverted version?
Where in the US are you?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll get the answer for 1 and 2 in a couple hours.

2. Almost always full, no real fluctuation between 1/4 and full
3. No, looks standard
4. Seattle metro area, WA

·
Registered
'95 JDM WRX wagon 2.5T
257 Posts
The 114.3mm pcd STI came with inverted struts = your damping is for a much heavier car.
Did the JDM pink springs, that you're using, come with the 114.3mm pd STI struts? Are they using the blob/hawk rear top mounts?
JDM pinks are so low, you're probably running on the bump stops. 60mm, rock-hard, front bump stops.
Your ride heights will give us a clue.

Other than Feal FPS or 2007 Bilstein RB320 are there any other 114.3mm pcb struts that can be re-valved?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I will:
Triple check inversion
Measure distance between wheel center and arch
Measure ride height

We modified the GC body to get the stock GD JDM struts and tophats to fit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just as an update, had to get a few tools. Currently waiting on UPS, should have some measurements and conformations in the next day or so.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
White Lwag
1,125 Posts
Not too much help. I read your title and was gonna mention that you should look up 2pot... then he was already there. Sooo, nevermind. Carry-on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry guys -- I went a different route and lost internet access at my place for a few months.

I went with the GD Bilsten B16 setup with GroupN tophats. Happy thus far, greatly improved. Sorry for the delay and thank you for the help!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah - rear is max height range, front is half height range.

It's gonna be 10mm lower front and back from what it is here, just passed 500 miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts