Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Impreza 1.8L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my first subie today :clap:...always wanted one just unable to find a decent one that isnt already broke....or too poor to finance one.

So for $500 (plus tax/title/plates) I am now a proud owner of one severely neglected beater (195K) that has a better home now....but here are my issues that my nub-ness will shine on now. I dont know where to start...so many minor to major issues... but my main concern right now is the Catback exhaust and what would be a good alternative...to not having one at all? Lol previous owner just beated on her and ripped parts off when they broke....douche.

I browsed the thread about posting videos of exhaust installs but all I got out of it was a 2.2L will fit on a 1.8 with some minor alterations...is this correct? Im looking at an OBX racing catback exhaust for $270 but dont want to buy it if I just have to return it.

It was missing real bad so a simple tune-up seemed to fix her up better but she still dont feel like she is pushing as hard as she could...my assumption is the exhaust but what would be some other issues causing lack of HP?

Im smart enough to fix it up and educate myself in the process but besides buying a manual (which is on the "to buy list" anyways) or beating on it with a hammer while scratching my head anyone of yinz wanna offer some advice to a nub like myself? Anyone living around Pittsburgh wanna get drunk for help would be super cool awesome too.

Thnx RS25 for the site and any help....pics of my new baby will get posted soonish.:monkey:

·
Registered
96 L Turbo Wagon
3,641 Posts
Any catback from an N/A impreza MY93-05 will fit but it's the headers you want. With the stock headers it will pretty much sound like a honda.

I'm not really sure what you are asking in terms of the EJ18 and EJ22 "fitting"?

Do you have an EJ22 or EJ18?

·
Registered
96 Impreza 1.8L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might be my nub talking but I assume a ej18 is a 1.8L? I have a 1.8 not a 2.2

Im just trying to troubleshoot why my car doesn't have the "get up and go" it should have and all I keep thinking is it has something to do with the lack of back pressure from the missing exhaust (from the Cat and back)...which is why I thought I should just get a catback kit and see if it fixes the issue.

The engine just bogs down a lot...almost like its in low range on a 4x4 and has no umff going up hills....in 2nd or 3rd....with a running start at it lol.

·
Registered
96 Impreza 1.8L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
poopy...seems digging through the forums on what my issue are it just seems standard for a 1.8 to act the way it is. Not looking to mod the eff out of a brighton and just wasting the $$$$$ so I guess I needa do a swap....so new nub questions for yinz

1. How can I tell what engine I have...read somewhere its under the alternator so is that right? I assume its a ej18 because its a 1.8L but could I be wrong in my assumptions?
2. If I do have a ej18 what would be a decent upgrade that would get more bang for my buck as a NA? And what else do I need to add to it or take away? Again just trying to keep it all stock (for the most part) and not worry about turbo.
3. besides craigslist and ebay/amazon....do stealerships have some reasonable priced parts/upgrades?

More to come later once I educate myself better =)

·
Registered
96 Impreza 1.8L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just fyi....I have already done plugs, wires and air filter....changing the oil/filter tomorrow along with flushing the radiator but after that I am kinda short.

Read up on 1.8L engine upgrade help...btw thnx syntech for all the useful info... so timing belt and other expensive (basic duh) shyt will come later. Not gonna blow a few grand if a simple swap is cheaper and provides just as much power.

·
Registered
96 Impreza 1.8L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Day2...Found out my 4 cylinder isnt banging righht now and causing all the missing so technically I have a 3 cylinder till the morning. After that the o2 might be fixed as well...fingers crossed all it needs is a new ignition coil.

Starting to get the hang of the my super weak ass gear ratio but its working out....still need a damn exhaust so she doesnt sound so angry....was told my engine is a 1.6L but couldnt find one made in a 96?

Took it on the snowy trails I have in my woods with some buddies....<25% tread, up a step and bumpy trails and rallied it through the woods like a champ =) Love my subie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.