Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 RX sedan
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all

New here, From Australia and have just bought my first Subi.
Looking forward to Learning heaps from this site and getting my hands dirty.

Probably the slowest car ive owned, but it sounds great and good on fuel so its a upside :p

Plans are possibly different rims, get rid of that damn huge bonnet scoop and fit a smaller one or source a new bonnet. Wire in the fog lamps. And look into a EJ20 NA engine for that little extra oompphh (not expecting a rocket ship :p )

Thanks for looking, Ill be sure to update when and where i can :)

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
97 RX sedan
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the positive comments Guys, Only had it a week today, so progress is minimal obviously. PO left it in such a bad state :( have re mounted front bumper, and tightened the rear, full inside and out clean, nice wax and polish on outside. came out great. few dints and scratches. but nothing major. I got a 3 yo daughter so i cant have nice things yet LOL.

Here a few "MOAR" pics ;)

Need to get out and snap some nice ones asap.

The minute i got it home (does that class me as a Nutter????)

Following day after a much needed wash

Mid way through the polish... mmm

And one of my other tinker toy, mk1 Golf/rabbit

·
Registered
97 RX sedan
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took car to my local mechanic this morning to check the oil leak.

First look when i first got i thought it was leaking from the sump, nope :( that would have been tooooo easy. Its a camshaft seal, which has also contaminated the timing belt. Its getting its 200k tune up next week. timing belt, idler pulley, tensioner, cam seal ect. fuel system checked ect.

·
Registered
97 RX sedan
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Made a start on the rims,
they are some cheap after market ones, nothing special from what i can gather.
PO thought a lick of cheap paint would make it "look cool" i guess..

Sanded back the lips as good as i can, got all the clear coat and what not off. And a quick polish. nothing special.
Will paint the centers again but with better quality stuff.
if it looks good and last long enough till i get new rims, then win win

·
Registered
97 RX sedan
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Small update,

Car is still in the workshop after what was supposed to be a "easy' timing belt swap and 200000kay check up. think thats like 129000miles??

Since i got the car it felt slow, i know its a 1.6L 16v single cam, but surely 0-100k in 7 days is way toooo slow!!
Seems who ever did the timing belt last had no effing idea what he/she/it was doing and either put the cam pulley's on wrong, or created their own timing marks :(
Car is currently apart finding TDC the manual way and not relying on the marks (should have done that anyway... ohwell)

Today is Xmas, so i gotta wait till possibly tomorrow or day after to get it back. Itching to drive it again. I think i got the Subi Bug haha

Merry Xmas to all and safe Holidays :)

·
Registered
97 RX sedan
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clean wagon! Hope you get the timing figured out. Good luck with the subie bug!
Thanks mate, :D

Yeah it is clean, few little nicks and paint scuffs, worst is the rear bumper and front quater panel where it was backed into. breaking the corner light and headlight. Have sourced new headlight and corner light to replace it. waiting for them to arrive.

·
Registered
97 RX sedan
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, got the Subie Back!!

Timing was WAAAYAYY out, couple teeth each cam pulley. not sure how it ran, but who ever put that belt on needs to be shot!!!

Pulls much better, can hold 100k in 5th now easy, and the fuel gauge dont move as quick now :p

·
Registered
97 RX sedan
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Got new headlight and park light. (well secondhand but new to me lol)
Front end has had a small impact so i had to spend a while bending metal slightly to get them to sit. need to spend more time on it as headlight still sinks in abit.

·
Registered
97 RX sedan
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not much has happened, did buy another one... :p

Painted the fog light covers, silver came out different, ohwell. cars is 4 shades of silver anyway HAHA.

Pic of how it sits as of now

·
Registered
97 RX sedan
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
little update,

Got some new interior in her,
fixed some missing trim pieces.
Got some replacement carpet in the boot and a spare wheel and jack :p

Also my indicator lens turned up so i got that fitted.
Gave it a wash and wax yesty, i think it looks good :)

Just need a facelift bonnet now, i got the lights and grill in. The odd gap is annoying me..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.