Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok as the title states, that's the kind of car I've got. Its currently my daily and will probably remain that way. I was having some odd tire wear going on and a slight pull, and when I tooka bump, the driver side front tire felt like it was going to hit the inside of the wheel well. Come to find out, all my shocks and struts are toast. Now a lot of people are telling me "dude get coil overs!" "coil overs are the only way to go" Les be honest here, coilovers are fucking expenive. I'll never autocross this car so I'm looking for another alternative. I want to stiffen it up and maybe lower it just a little bit. What do you guys recomend for a fairly inexpensive alternative?

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
If you want to go super cheap, get 98-01RS springs and struts. Stiffer and maybe a tad bit lower than the L. You can find used ones on here for cheap... let's face it, it's a 96 daily driver. I'll probably be doing this to my 95 daily driver too.

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
I think struts are listed as '93-01 impreza awd or fwd.

N - PM me as I was looking around my basement yesterday & found the 4 shocks & springs from my '99 OBS.
The shocks were replaced for AGX's in '03 & all are fine if you need them, I'm holding onto the springs as i may want to lift one of my cars for winter fun.

Just add a set of rs springs or eibachs & you should be good to go.

I remember reading that RS & OBS struts were the same (gas charged...), but I'm sure someone will chime in.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
You're fine with drums. I did this and have since moved on to coilovers. I'm keeping the drums too...they're lighter!

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Are the drums really lighter than disks?
Have any #'s?

I'm a pound freak & weigh everything going into or coming out of my wagon & wanted to do the rear disk conversion thinking I'll loose a few lbs, at worse break even (my rear disk conversion is vented).

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have an exact weight for the different setups. Maybe someone out there has both setups off the car and can put some solid numbers behind it.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I guess I'll weigh the vented disks vs. the drums coming off my car when I do the conversion.

·
Banned
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definately post when you have info, cause I'd like to see the variation. This may come off as a really stupid question, and I should probably know the answer, but what are the pros and cons of disc over drum?

·
06 Wrangler Unlimited
4,613 Posts
Drums = suck. They are also ugly because they always get rusty.
Discs = good, the bigger the better.

That's about all you need to know. :)

·
Banned
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol the question was meant for a more in depth answer. There are steps that can be made to prevent rust. So that's not gonna fly. It doesnt have to be pretty to be better. Bigger usually means heavier. So can we get a more in depth answer?

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Discs dissipate heat better and are more efficient because of the direct application of the pads. Drums pivot the shoes outward which, being a pivot, looses efficiency and reduces the feel somewhat. That said...being at the rear, they're not doing as much work anyway.

The bottom line in any braking system is that if it is capable of locking the wheels up and dissipating the heat built up during modulated braking without fading, it's sufficient.

If you're running 17s or larger....and tracking the car, 4 wheel discs may be needed to keep from getting fade. For the other 95% of us, drums are fine in the back.

If you do swap to discs in the back, keep an eye on the balance or bias. It may shift toward the rear causing the rears to lock before the fronts unless the proportioning valve is changed along with the hardware at the rear of the car. YMMV

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Exactly, since the drums are @ the rear the effects on overall stopping power is not huge. Rear-Disks can dissipate heat better..., but for most people rear drums are fine.

Something that did make a bit of a difference on both OBS's in my family was the upgrade from 10.5"or10.7"(?) single piston front brakes to Legacy/RS(-?) dual piston calipers & 10.9" brakes which was a very cheap, easy, and noticeable mod that still fits under 15" rims (low rotational inertia!).

·
Banned
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll be running 17" wheels as soon as I get my shock and strut situation under wraps. I had no problem with stopping before and I was running on old shoes. I'm just going to get new drums, shoes, and a kit go to town. I'll even paint the drums to keep them from rusting as quickly.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
With the 17's you are going to increase rotational inertia, which will make it harder for your brakes to stop the wheels.
You may want to do some sort of front brake upgrade.

·
Banned
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I currently have Brembo cross drilled rotors on there now. I had no problems stopping the bigger wheels before.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts