Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own a 95 impreza 2dr 1.8 L model. what can i do to put some performance in this thing? are there parts available to swap from the rs newer body? i already have the hood and spoiler. please help me.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
What is your mechanical expertise level? Cuz, you can pick up a 2.5 or a 2.2 motor pretty cheap. But.. you gotta know how to do the install.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is a 2.2 woth the effort or is the 2.5 the best route?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have some mechanical knowledge for simple bolt on parts, a motor upgrade would be paying someone for the install. what are some simple upgrades or swaps i can do myself? i seen an rsb upgrade in another forum, what is that?

·
Rally Hopeful
1997 L White - 2004 STi WRB
560 Posts
Your 1.8L puts out ~110 HP. The 2.2L Puts out ~135HP (newer ones are ~140).
The 2.5 puts out ~155HP (again I believe newer ones are 160, and even newer ones are now 173!)

The 2.2 is the easiest swap for you, as you can still use almost your entier setup and wiring. The cost should be ~300 - 400 for a complete motor. (thats what I'm hoping to sell mine for) I believe that a 2.5 would be more wiring work and you need a new ECU, the cost for a good 2.5 would also be more, I would guess ~500 to ~600?? (+extras)

So, its really up to you. 25-30 HP (gain) for $300 or 45-50 HP (gain) for $500.

A RSB is a "Rear Sway Bar". It helps your car handle better (less understeer, faster turn in). If you have a 1.8L. I would guess that you dont have a RSB at all. You need to source some rear control arms and sway bar mounts and then also the RSB. This is a very nice upgrade, most parts can be found at the junk yard.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
RS engine for < $500. You betcha.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the 1.8ECU is capable of controlling the Phase1 DOHC EJ25, like those in the MY99RS... But, I can't actually confirm this. So, if there is any truth to this, then a 2.5 swap might be way easier than you think.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the 1.8ECU is capable of controlling the Phase1 DOHC EJ25, like those in the MY99RS... But, I can't actually confirm this. So, if there is any truth to this, then a 2.5 swap might be way easier than you think.
wagonl had a ej251 running off of a 1.8 ecu.
pretty sweet if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
i own a 95 impreza 2dr 1.8 L model. what can i do to put some performance in this thing? are there parts available to swap from the rs newer body? i already have the hood and spoiler. please help me.
The L exhaust is one of the shittiest, most restrictive ever made. But the EJ18 is a surprisingly strong, torquey motor. Gravel Girl dominates her rally circuit in a 1.8, beats up on 2.5s all the time. Don't hate on it just yet.

Oil change + OEM oil filter (fill it up with oil before screwing it on)
Unequal length headers
Cold air intake
Snorkle-ectomy
Copper spark plugs
Catless exhaust
Weight reduction
Underdriven pulleys
Battery relocation to the trunk

First suspension upgrades should be RSB + BETTER TIRES

96ImprezadentL ran a turbo 1.8 which did high 12s in the quarter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok ive changed out the intake but as far as the exhaust do i just gut the two convertors? wont the eng lamp come on and make it run funny because the 02 sensor is not reading lean/rich?? or you talking about swapping out the exhaust?

·
Registered
1994, impreza L /EJ20G
91 Posts
yours is OBD1 yeah? if so it won't throw a code since you don't have a downstream O2, but I still would not be too hasty to punch out those cats, they can get mighty expensive when you need em in a pinch.
If you really want to free up some flow you might consider a test pipe inplace of the cats.
If you feel like doing the research and can fab some parts a home made turbo kit can be fairly inexpensive and make some decent power.

I've got an EJ22E in my 94 L with the 1.8 electronics, it's nothing to cry home about.
the best advice I can give you is don't be in a hurry.

·
Registered
1995 2.? L
143 Posts
There are some old threads in the conversions forum that cover this swap. The 99 RS had a MAF based SOHC...not DOHC. Only 98 RS was DOHC. It is possible to run a 2.5 off of the 1.8 ecu...but it does not run correctly. It has comparable top end...but the low end (below 3000rpm) is missing power without the proper ECU to manage the engine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
eventually if money works out right i would like to swap in a 2.5 or go trubo, just working up as i go. it will be a long process though, baby steps...=)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts