Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I got a 95 l coupe with a bad auto trans I'm going to be doing a complete usdm ej205 swap into. I'm new to the mechanical side of things but I've been into Subarus for a long time and have been reading the swap threads here for years! I have a complete running 2004 wrx wagon as my parts car, I picked it up from a copart auction, it had hazardous materials for a spill in the carpet, it's got 135k miles on it. It needs a new clutch for sure which I already have and I'm also going to be resealing the motor as well with a complete gasket kit( where should I purchase this from?) I'm going to be taking everything possible from it, engine, transmission, x member, brakes, ect. I'm curious about what I can't use, correct me if I'm wrong but I can't use anything from the rear suspension? I'll add some pics of the cars after work! Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, '00 911 Cab, '18 CT6 TT, '04 Escalade ESV
5,497 Posts
You can use pretty much everything besides body panels and interior trim. The entire Rear end will bolt up no problem, you can even use the gas tank if you want.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can use pretty much everything besides body panels and interior trim. The entire Rear end will bolt up no problem, you can even use the gas tank if you want.
Nice! Would there be any drawbacks, with the wagon suspension in the coupe?

·
www.jackstalk.com
5,497 Posts
Nice! Would there be any drawbacks, with the wagon suspension in the coupe?
I think the track is a little narrower than the sedan IIRC but if you use all the wagon parts for your build it's mostly fine. I actually prefer the WRX track width on GCs because it really fills out the fenders and makes the car look the way it should.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,537 Posts
Correct, the wagon track is actually identical to the coupe track. WRX sedan tracks are wider. I wouldn't recommend running the WRX struts and springs in the coupe though, the rear top hats are different and the chassis would have to be slotted, and it'll raise the rear up too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct, the wagon track is actually identical to the coupe track. WRX sedan tracks are wider. I wouldn't recommend running the WRX struts and springs in the coupe though, the rear top hats are different and the chassis would have to be slotted, and it'll raise the rear up too.
Okay cool! So run everything but the struts,springs and control arms?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just the struts and springs, you can run the control arms without issue.
Would you just unbolt the struts from the knuckles and brake lines from the calipers and crossmembers from the frame and pull the entire front and rear end withevery thing else connected? Or just pull each and every piece out by itself?

·
www.jackstalk.com
5,497 Posts
Would you just unbolt the struts from the knuckles and brake lines from the calipers and crossmembers from the frame and pull the entire front and rear end withevery thing else connected? Or just pull each and every piece out by itself?
The front WRX struts will bolt up, for the rears you can use a spring compressor and remove the top hat mount and replace it with your coupe top hat and bolt it back together. The GD suspension does feel a little taller and will raise the car up like an inch but it's pretty stiff. When I did a complete drivetrain swap I literally unbolted the entire rear end, left the struts and rear diff attached, and wheeled it under my 1st gen and bolted it right up.

·
www.jackstalk.com
5,497 Posts
They definitely come out, I dont remember if I put a flathead screwdriver on either the backside or front side to pry the plastic clips free. There also might be a 10mm nut and/or phillips screw in there somewhere. I only remove the fusebox once or twice, usually i just pull the entire fender harness out through the engine bay after disconnecting it under the dash. Its kind of a pain in the ass. The entire harness removal in general is kind of a pain in the ass.

·
www.jackstalk.com
5,497 Posts
Was it a flatheas screwdriver from the back? It's good to post details on here when you are successful so future members reading the thread will know how to do it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah it was just a flat head on the side where the mounting bracket is and from the wire side!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts