Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own a 95 impreza 2dr 1.8 L model. what can i do to put some performance in this thing? are there parts available to swap from the rs newer body? i already have the hood and spoiler off a 98 impreza rs. please help me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is rsb? i put a different muffler on it and an intake adapter and filter thats about it performance wise. it does ok on flat ground but dies on a long hill, i just want some more pep, get up and go! and a quicker responce from a stop.

·
Premium Member
Company Car
1,875 Posts
rsb = rear sway bar. That will help out your suspension and handling.

As for performance, intake/pulleys/exhaust/plug wires/tune up are your best bet for the L. In my opinion, I wouldn't worry too much about some of those and save my money for a ej20 swap/turbo swap.

Good luck with the car.

·
AYVI Motorsports
White 98 Impreza/06WRX
440 Posts
not really much potential for power effectively. Work on your suspension, then swap when you can

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
Don't do what I'm doing! lol..

Borla Header?

·
Registered
'97 white Impreza Coupe
458 Posts
"footwork"...

1) wheels and tires
2) coilovers
3) rear sway bar
4) front and rear strut tower bars
5) steering rack bushings
6) fender braces
7) brake upgrades

In that order. A rear sway bar should not be mod #1. A rear sway bar improves handling by keeping a larger portion of the tire on the pavement. That wont matter if your tires are crap and your spring/strut setup is stock (softer than a balloon filled with applesauce).

·
Registered
643 Posts
Personally, sense its OBD1, id do an EJ20G swap to get really put some bounce in its step.

·
Registered
01' RS Coupe Blue/02 Forester
175 Posts
Dude. I have a Impreza L 96' with no mods perfomance wise except front WRX disc brakes. I love this car and body wise you should beable to mod the hell outa it. But remember the size of your engine. If i was you i would buy a 2.5 or 2.2.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
id like to have the 2.5 or go turbo but doing this on a budget is rough, it will be a slow build but over time i think it will come together. i love the car. as far as running a rear sway bar can i get one off an rs? will that fit or do i get one aftermarket, i havent even looked does my car have the setup to install a rsb?? im running 215/35/18's on the car now getting ready to install a set of springs and will go back to a 16" combo....let me know on the rsb

·
Backroad Warrior
97 LGT, 02 OBS, 99 OBS
2,456 Posts
did your car come with a RSB from the factory? If not you'll need to get a set of rear lateral links with the bracketry for a RSB. Thats how my 94 L is. Maybe a 95 L has the RSB already.

·
Backroad Warrior
97 LGT, 02 OBS, 99 OBS
2,456 Posts
Just finished a 2.2 swap in my 94 L. So glad I did it. Substantial power difference. The car actually accellerates now. You can probably find a used 2.2 or 2.5 at your local boneyard for 3-400 bucks. You'll be happy with the power, even though it's not turbo.

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
My local u-pull-it sells all 4cyls for about $70-80 & there are always 2.2's around.

I remember someone actually posting up Dyno Results before & after for the E-bay cone filter intake on a 1.8 & he actually made 10WHP across the rpm range.

? if it was on NASIOC....

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
+1 for a RSB

work on suspension. not power from a 1.8

how much did you buy your car for? im looking for a coupe L

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
My local u-pull-it sells all 4cyls for about $70-80 & there are always 2.2's around.

I remember someone actually posting up Dyno Results before & after for the E-bay cone filter intake on a 1.8 & he actually made 10WHP across the rpm range.

? if it was on NASIOC....
eBay mods like those actually make a lot of sense on smaller displacement engines. +1 on Earp running big brakes with a 1.8 and having fun.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i bought the car for 500.00 bucks. the dealership i work for got it in on trade, it had two broken front cv axles and they didnt want to fool with fixing it. first come first serve, i jumped on it, replaced the axles and started driving, car is getting about 32-34 mpg....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i installed a intake cone and adapter to my factory pipe, lowered the car with some springs i purchased off rsclub and thats about it so far, ive got a rs hood and rear spoiler, getting ready to paint the car. just would love some more power out of it, im thinking the 2.2 is going to be the easiest and cheapest way to go.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
on the 2.2 swap is it just a drop in from my 1.8? will my trans/wire harness/computer work or do i have to swap anything else?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts