Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help,

I have a 95 Impreza L w/ the SOHC Phase I 2.2L Automatic. I recently pulled the spark plugs and there is quite a bit of oil leaking through into the spark plug tubes and fouling out the drivers side cylinders. I have read the DIY replacement thread and unfortunately my spark plugs go directly into the upper block and not through the valve covers, so I dont have the spark plug tube seals to replace. Can someone please help me with what could be the cause? What do I need to replace? What gaskets if any do I need?

Much appreciated!!

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L FWD coupe
295 Posts
There aren't many places for oil to get into the spark plugs on those. I will have to look at my 1.8(basically the same) to see what I can find. It never hurts to do the valve cover gaskets if they haven't been done in a while. I went from 1.5 quarts in 3k miles to under a quart after I changed mine.

·
Registered
00 RS-T
483 Posts
Valve cover gaskets, it should come with rubber gromets that go around the spark plug hole. That will fix you right up

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L FWD coupe
295 Posts
People forget about the old phase 1 2.2s. I think they are much better due to great flow of exhaust and having the spark plugs out of the valve covers. I don't know why hes having this problem as of yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking that maybe it could be the PCV valve being bad and causing pressure build up forcing oil past the rings. But if that is the case then why only the drivers side??? I took a peek down the spark plug tubes and I dont see any cracking or "unusual" wear. I have read of multiple people having thse issues however there is always no solution at the end of the thread :/

Anyone else out there w/ a phase I ej22?!?!? oil...plugs...no?

Maybe I will take a chance and replace the pcv, new plugs and wires and see how she holds up.

Please feel free to keep brainstorming, I will post back with any findings.

Thanks

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L FWD coupe
295 Posts
I would say your getting oil into the cylinder from somewhere. Could be oil blowing by the rings or could be oil getting in by the valve stem guides.

As for the oil on the boot I'm lost on that one. Mine seal pretty good at the top and I see nowhere for the oil to come from.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:facepalm: I really dont want to have to tear this b***h apart. I bought this car for cheeeeeap, should have expected this. Was running great, then the radiator cracked and all of the sudden oil is in the plugs.

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L FWD coupe
295 Posts
Cracked radiator? Did the engine heat up a lot? I don't see it as likely but you could have heated the heads to a point to ruin some valve stem guides/seals and put a crack in the head going from the valve cover area to the spark plug.

When you say cheap how cheap do you mean?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When the radiator cracked and I saw the steam coming from the hood I immediately turned off the car and had it towed. The car ran fine after the radiator issue also. I bought the car for $800. I also dont see any cracks around the valve cover, heads, or inside of the spark plug tubes

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L FWD coupe
295 Posts
With almost 230k miles it could be getting tired and wearing out which explains the oil in the cylinder. You could always look for a used engine from a lower mileage car. Might be able to get one for around $300.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.