Registered
1994 Impreza L
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car is currently for sale as of 15NOV2014

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f171/t214403-94-gc-sedan-w-ver-6-sti-swap.html

--------------

What's up all?

As you can see by my "Join" date (3 years ago), I've been into the GC/GM body style for a few years. I was more of a lurker just learning along the way and finally decided to pull the trigger.

I'll be posting my journey with my GC in this journal. At times I can get lengthy in my writing, so if you're just browsing through, feel free to skip and just look at the pretty pictures.

History

28 APR 2014 (http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/205691-94-impreza-l-first-subaru-2.html#post3197986)

Car has been dropped off at Area1320 for a Version 6 swap. More details to come.

12 MAR 2014 (http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t205691-94-impreza-l-first-subaru.html#post3177840)

Some minor doings on the car. Changed the radio to a double DIN w/ Bluetooth. Switched to 2002 WRX seats (front and back). Added an extended arm rest. Put new shoes on the car!

10 FEB 2014

This past weekend, I've finally picked up my first Subaru and it's a 94' Impreza L, AWD and 5-Speed. No sunroof, power windows or locks.

I had been searching here, other forums, and Craigslist like crazy for the past few months. I either wanted an unmolested base model or a running swapped car.

After missing out on some swapped cars I finally found an ad for this below -

Clean, one owner, 4 Doors, AWD, 5SPD, OBD1, and NO RUST! Pretty much everything I was looking for. The only issue was that the car was located in Denver and I'm in NYC. After some consideration, I decided to go for it. Bought the tickets and flew down there.

The Carfax was clean but I was weary. When I arrived, I went through the entire car. No bondo and no signs of body work or rust. I even put magnets on the quarter panel and it all held up. I then took it to a shop to have it looked at. Found two things wrong - A/C Belt Tensioner Pulley was seizing and there was an oil leak.

My Uncle advised to just have the belt removed, which the mechanics concurred with since I didn't have time for a replacement nor was A/C really necessary in 20 degree weather. As for the oil leak, well, I'd have to take my chance.

The seller was asking $3,000. Negotiated it to $1,000 less than that. Still a bit much, but it is SO hard to find a rust-less Impreza.

Made the buy, got the temporary permit, and drove that s***** back with my Uncle for ~2,000 miles. I'd say we went through about 10 quarts of oil so it roughly leaked 1 quart every 200 miles. Other than that, the motor ran strong. No overheating. No funkiness in the coolant. Just the motor vomiting oil all over Interstate 80!
/History

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 2.5rs-pacifica blue pearl
425 Posts
nice looking car man. props for making the journey all the way to denver for it from NYC!

sucks bout the oil problem man... I too encountered a similar thing with my first subie but luckily I didn't have to drive it 800 miles home.

I'm no expert but if I am not mistaken that car has the ej22 which is supposed to be the most "bulletproof" engine. it may be smarter to just do the repairs, could be cheaper and might last longer than say one of the motors you are thinking of swapping... your call though man...

I decided to just buy the parts for my car but honestly I am slightly regretting not doing a swap... but I think in the end I will be happy, because putting the money into my car now will make it run for much longer than even if I bought a low mileage turbo'd engine and I won't have to spend nearly as much on the car to keep it in good condition...

either way man, I'd say not bad for 2,000!

I am actually came across a steal on a L wagon very recently! can't wait to get it!

ok sorry for clogging up your thread, time for me to make my own thread!

·
Registered
1994 Impreza L
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little bit of work done since I've gotten her. I've got some more things lined up but I'll wait until they're done before I post them.

Replaced the old radio

with this -

which has bluetooth!

----

I didn't have an armrest, so I put one in.

This goes out

This goes in (it's black as compared to gray, but eh.

---

Old wheels (14" steelies)

New wheels

---

Old seats

New seats

This is how she sits currently -

Ended up staying OEM with 205/55. I really wanted 215/50 but there aren't many tire choices in that size. Womp womp.

·
Registered
Bluebird
703 Posts
Nice clean car! I admire you for researching for so long, driving this back east and now doing your own build. A little while ago, I considered doing a fly and drive to CO, to pick up an Amythest 94 Impreza. Having owned an ej205 swapped RS, several 1.8 Impreza's, as well as 2.5's and 2.2's, I would recommend that you fix your oil leak issue first off. I'd hold off on the swapping business for a little while, perhaps take on modifying from a suspension/handling standpoint for the first bit. Usually, catastrophic engine failure is the good catalyst for a motor swap (which is why a lot of the 2.5's are now swapped ;)). Another reason I say this is because once you start swapping, it becomes a 'daily tuner' and not a daily driver. /rant enjoy your 'new' car already, looks awesome!

·
Registered
1994 Impreza L
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice wheels! Hopefully see your car on the road in NYC! You from Brooklyn?
Thanks man! I'm actually in Queens. Hopefully I can attend a few meets when they start happening.

Nice clean car! I admire you for researching for so long, driving this back east and now doing your own build. A little while ago, I considered doing a fly and drive to CO, to pick up an Amythest 94 Impreza. Having owned an ej205 swapped RS, several 1.8 Impreza's, as well as 2.5's and 2.2's, I would recommend that you fix your oil leak issue first off. I'd hold off on the swapping business for a little while, perhaps take on modifying from a suspension/handling standpoint for the first bit. Usually, catastrophic engine failure is the good catalyst for a motor swap (which is why a lot of the 2.5's are now swapped ;)). Another reason I say this is because once you start swapping, it becomes a 'daily tuner' and not a daily driver. /rant enjoy your 'new' car already, looks awesome!
I hear ya man, and thanks for the advice. My other ride is a 2012 Sonata 2.0T which is the first automatic car I've owned and I just really wanted to get back into a manual. As for the swap, I've thought about just leaving the EJ18 there but I just didn't want to spend any money working on the motor when I know that I truly want to swap it.

A little car history -

My first car back in the early 2000s was a 1986 Z31 N/A. This was the car I learned to drive stick in. It wasn't pretty. I then moved onto an 88 (Shiro Special) Z31 Turbo. From there, an S13, a B13 SE-R, an S13 again, a P10, a MKIV Jetta 1.8T, and now the Sonata. Each one of these cars has always been my daily and so my upgrading options were always limited to just suspension work.

I've always wanted an STI (A white hawk-eye with goldies), but the insurance and the price of one was always more than I wanted to spend. I also don't really like to stand out too much. I've seen one too many cars stolen.

The more I looked into the GC, the more apparent it became that this was for me. There are a ton of upgrades and options available which makes the car unique to its owner. You can keep it low-key or get as crazy as you want with it. To be able to say you built something rather than just bought it is a feeling not too many people get to experience.

Anyway, thanks for looking! I should have some interesting updates coming up in a month's time.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Question! I noticed on my uppipe thread you commended and said you had a GS uppipe for your car you were thinking about installing... on what I see as a stock '96 engine? I'm confused!

But for real, nice car. Very clean. I miss my old '95 and '98 sometimes for their simplicity and 87 octane + great MPGs. Awesome wheel choice.

·
Registered
1994 Impreza L
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Question! I noticed on my uppipe thread you commended and said you had a GS uppipe for your car you were thinking about installing... on what I see as a stock '96 engine? I'm confused!

But for real, nice car. Very clean. I miss my old '95 and '98 sometimes for their simplicity and 87 octane + great MPGs. Awesome wheel choice.
Hmm, good question... Check back in a few weeks to see why!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1994 Impreza L
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Brian was super backed up with the merges. About two/three months to get a merge done. It was finally completed a few days ago and shipped. Should have the car back next week.

·
Registered
1994 Impreza L
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Almost there...

Been without her for 3 months now but good things come to those who wait.

And oh man, that grill is UGLEEEEE. Thinking I should have just gotten a black grill. Maybe I can find a PlastiDip/ElastiWrap color that's similar to the body.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R
189 Posts
I had exactly the same idea, find a rust free shell out of state, cover it and never move it in our **** winters, and swap it. I've been holding out for that $500 5 speed, rust free gem. I will find it... one day. But your cars lookin good man. As for the grille, sand the red and give it a blast with a black rattlecan, mine turned out fantastic. Well until I slammed the L hood on it not knowing if it would clear. It doesn't...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts