Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1998, Impreza L, Brilliant Red
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 Impreza L and a 91 Legacy turbo. I was wondering what were the options with swapping the turbo engine into the L. I know that doing the wiring is the hardest part of the swap and am thinking of outsourceing someone to do it for me if I use the Legacy ecu. I just want to know what you, if you did the swap, would have done differently and would change on the engine pre swap. All comments are welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
91 LSi w/EJ22T
1,125 Posts
Did a legacy turbo swap myself, 93 legacy turbo into a 95 impreza. If your doing the swap, swap EVERYTHING. I'm 15 and did the entire thing myself. My car is very basic though, not one power option. I got everything wired up pretty much except for my lighting, still working on that. But all of the wiring in my car is legacy turbo except for a few impreza things i had to splice over. Also I'm using the Legacy gauge cluster, the cluster wiring seemed a bit too complex for me so I just cut up my bezel a little and it fits ok. IMO best way to do it is all in one peice, so drop front subframe with motor/trans/ from legacy and put it back into the impreza. Same for the rear. Also you will need a driveshaft from a 93-01 JDM STI with an R180 or get a legacy turbo driveshaft cut down, the stock impreza rear and legacy turbo rear have different flanges. Should cost about $150 to get a driveshaft cut down and rewelded. Hope that helped.

·
Registered
2006 WRX
611 Posts
Instead of using a JDM STI driveshaft or getting your driveshaft cut/welded, you can use a rear diff and driveshaft from an impreza that has the same final drive ratio as the legacy.

Also, I would contact Zephyr and see if he is willing to do the wiring. The guy is a guru when it comes to that stuff.

·
Premium Member
91 LSi w/EJ22T
1,125 Posts
Legacy turbo has 3:90 gearing, the impreza has 4:11 I believe, also the legacy is a R180 so its the bigger rear, pretty much same as the STI. 91-92 legacy turbo was LSD, 93-94 they went to open rear.

·
Registered
2006 WRX
611 Posts
Legacy turbo has 3:90 gearing, the impreza has 4:11 I believe, also the legacy is a R180 so its the bigger rear, pretty much same as the STI. 91-92 legacy turbo was LSD, 93-94 they went to open rear.
Different imprezas have different gearing. Some WRXs have 3.90 as do some older imprezas. Are you sure that the legacy has an R180? Everywhere I searched for information on my old legacy turbo ('91) said it had an R160.

Also, as long as the axles would fit in an impreza R160, then as long as the rear diff was a 3.90, you could use an impreza driveshaft.

·
Registered
Your mom won't let u have it
444 Posts
Different imprezas have different gearing. Some WRXs have 3.90 as do some older imprezas. Are you sure that the legacy has an R180? Everywhere I searched for information on my old legacy turbo ('91) said it had an R160.

Also, as long as the axles would fit in an impreza R160, then as long as the rear diff was a 3.90, you could use an impreza driveshaft.
Yes the leggy turbo's r R160's

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Is this the expert info of RS25.com? I hope not......

The 91 Legacy Turbo didn't have an R180. It got an R160, just like the Impreza. If it had the R180, nobody would be doing vented rear disc swaps, now would they? It's final drive is 3.90....but it doesn't mean the swapper has to use the transmission that came with it. There are no driveshaft mods to make, as the trans from the 91 is the same size physically. If the swapper wants to use the Legacy Sport transmission, a 3.90 diff can be had from any EJ22 OBS from 96-01. The differential input flange only needs to be changed if the R160 's are of different types (T-type or VA-type).

·
Premium Member
91 LSi w/EJ22T
1,125 Posts

I apoligize, when people say impreza's I automatically think GC. Well my dad has an STi and we have a 93 legacy turbo and my 93 legacy turbo swapped GC, I will take measurements of the rears and confirm if they are R160 or R180.

Is this the expert info of RS25.com? I hope not......

The 91 Legacy Turbo didn't have an R180. It got an R160, just like the Impreza. If it had the R180, nobody would be doing vented rear disc swaps, now would they? It's final drive is 3.90....but it doesn't mean the swapper has to use the transmission that came with it. There are no driveshaft mods to make, as the trans from the 91 is the same size physically. If the swapper wants to use the Legacy Sport transmission, a 3.90 diff can be had from any EJ22 OBS from 96-01. The differential input flange only needs to be changed if the R160 's are of different types (T-type or VA-type).
What year impreza do you mean, you told me in one of my F/S ads that my car (95 1.8 5m/t originally) did not come with a R160. I know on my car the complete 1995 impreza driveshaft will fit up in place but the flange that connects the driveshaft to the rear has a different bolt pattern the legacy turbo rear is more of a squre bolt pattern where as the imprezas is more rectangular.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I didn't tell you it had anything other than an R160. What I probably told you was that it had different carrier bearings because it was of a different type. Of the R160's, some of the base Impreza's got the VA type (screw in carrier bearings) while most got the T-type (bolt in carrier bearings). The input flange is different, as well as the carrier itself.

·
Registered
1998, Impreza L, Brilliant Red
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone else with experiance with this particular swap? I really don't care about rear ends. The Legacy is auto and the L is a manual, and my finale drive is 4.11:1. I was thinking about selling the 2.2t heads and purchasing a ej20g or K intake manifold and wiring+ecu and using some DOHC rs heads with an intake cam regrind that I have.

·
Premium Member
91 LSi w/EJ22T
1,125 Posts
Hey guys, got around to measuring then rears and yous were correct, the legacy turbo does have an R160.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts