Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 RHD555 98 RHDSTi 06 92xAero
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not mine...

**1993 subaru impreza sell or trade** - $2800 (tucson)

Date: 2012-01-20, 12:43PM MST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

1993 subaru impreza wagon, first year of the impreza. 1.8 litre 4cyl.w/ automatic trans. ac, pw, ps, tilt wheel, 165k, cd/mp3 player, wrx wheels, k&n cone filter, obx catback exhaust, hks air/fuel compressor,electric supercharger, performance chip, AWD so it handles great, the only reason I am selling this is to get a rwd car with a manual trans. $2800 or possible trade? call or text anytime! 520-551-7014 thanks. (also have stock wheels and tires- good cond.) *(tags)=ae86,240sx,240z,300zx,rx7,miata,drift,rwd,manual trans.....*

Pure champion stuff right here ^

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,762 Posts
Yep, that's the electric supercharge. It's awesome. It gives you all of 0 hp.

·
I kill threads!
3,762 Posts
I have no idea how much it actually takes. The power gain is negated by it's power draw. But is the power drawn more than the power gain?

I think about the only way to make gains with an electric supercharger is to make it more like NOS. Have some capacitors that slowly pull power from the engine. During times like coasting along the highway. Then you can release all that power into a fast turbine to actually compress air and generate a good amount of hp increase. Of course, the capacitors would drain hella fast and you've be back to normal hp in a matter of seconds.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
I think (after posting a thread dedicated to this topic) that the only way to get a true benefit from an electrical supercharger would be to only use it to keep the intake manifold from going in to the -psi.

I mean even +.124566 psi would have a small benefit, anything keeping the intake from going in to the negative pressure range is going to have a positive affect on performance.

Granted you wouldn't see 20hp but you might see 5.

Hooked up a variable speed motor with an impeller, controlled with a linear taper potentiometer and you have yourself something that might work. Worth your time? Maybe, worth the effort? If you're not busy, interesting and unique hell yes!

·
I kill threads!
3,762 Posts
The problem is, the power it's drawing from the engine. If it can't make up for it, then it's pointless.

·
Registered
opendeck251+stiInternals
483 Posts
I have been tempted for years to buy one of these and make it work, just to say "HA, see, I told you it would work".

Then I snap back to the real world and continue on my way. I still would like to see someone do it successfully and make 20-30 hp, although I don't see that happening.

~Josh~

·
I kill threads!
3,762 Posts
So it's pretty much exactly what I was saying before. Instead of a capacitor, they just used multiple batteries to power it. Lower power gains with the batteries, but longer running time.

·
RUSSIAN FOR HIRE
2000 Impreza RST
2,425 Posts
i got one of these for free when i had my honda civic. i put it in for kicks to see what would happen. and i honestly believe i saw a 1-2 hp difference. going DOWN. lol my car had basic bolt on parts on it and after installing the "supercharger" i lost some throttle response and it sounds like a fan going off all the time in your engine compartment. i took it off the next day. its probably somewhere at my parents house to this day.

sum it up electric supercharger= WORTHLESS

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,982 Posts
I've posted these before a few times. These are pictures I took at an auto show a few years ago.
The electric SC on Tiburons produce enough flow to generate around 6 psi. There is a kit name in the picture, so can do your own googling :)

Price for these sc was around $2,000... not $50 from ebay.

few unrelated pictures since i'm uploading anyway :)

·
I kill threads!
3,762 Posts
I think they said the Thomas Knight one is around $4k or something. Too lazy to go back through the article.

As for the Tiburon one, probably no different than the Thomas Knight. You'll require more batteries to power the turbine, but the alternator can't charge the battery faster than it gets discharged. So time limited. There's always higher powered alternators, but that'll require more power to run, which will partially negate the effects of the electric supercharger. I think the electric supercharger is a great idea for 0-60 mph times, 1/4 mile runs, and short time attacks.

Edit:

Is that the international car show they have at the Coex Mall? I went to that back in 2010 and found it a huge waste of my money. If it wasn't for the fact that it was at the Coex Mall, it would have been a huge waste of time too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A friend of mine had one on his Cavalier. Definite power loss. Not only does it lack the pressure to actually provide any benefit, it also restricts the air flow when the engine starts breathing heavy.
He also tried an electric leaf blower; same results, goofier looking installation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.