Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The Dash Flocker!
00 GF, 04 Jetta TDi
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 2 or 3 years I finally got around to welding in the ol' roll bar.
I didn't get any pics of the finished paint yet...

Door bars:

driver's side footwell

pass. side footwell

view from the 'backseat"

rear footwell area

floor plates for the main hoop

Overall it makes the car really stiff. I can jack up one side of the car just by putting the jack in front of the rear wheel; and the door still shuts correctly when I jack it up from under the rear skidplate. Plus it is a nice place to mount the harnesses to keep them short. The drawvback is it makes the backseat area all but useless. I can put my wife's purse there and that about it. If it doesn't fit between the main hopp, harness bar and the headrests it isn't going back there....

It took me and a friend about 5 hours to fit and tack weld it into place after the 25 hours I spent stripping the interior and the tar from under the old carpet. Then it took him about 25 hours to weld everything. He TIG welded each joint twice except for the floor plates. I had to spray the underside of the car with water while he was welding so the anti-rust coating wouldn't catch fire.

Yes the headliner will fit. It is back in place now, but it sure was a total PITA to get it back in and lined up properly.

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,208 Posts
Nice dude. :D

How hard is it to get in and out of the car now? If you don't mind me asking, (and don't answer if you do), how much did it run you?

IIRC, your backseat was pretty much useless anyways since you couldn't really squeeze past the seats. :p

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs BDP
2,079 Posts
is there any way to get rid of the sunroof without having to cut and paste an entire L roof on there?

·
The Dash Flocker!
00 GF, 04 Jetta TDi
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
t3hWIT said:
Nice dude. :D

How hard is it to get in and out of the car now? If you don't mind me asking, (and don't answer if you do), how much did it run you?

IIRC, your backseat was pretty much useless anyways since you couldn't really squeeze past the seats. :p
be prepared to spend 2-300 on materials, gas, tungsten, ect. and pay someone for about 25-30 hours of welding if you do all the stripping yourself. This does not include the cost of the roll bar itself- which in DOM tuning will run you 3-400.

It is pretty easy to get in and out even for my 6'4" ass. Yoiu just kind of get your feet in first, put your hand on the seat and slide past the steering wheel. I really want to put in a sparco wheel with a quick release so it would make it really easy, but I spent all my budget for this year.

·
The Dash Flocker!
00 GF, 04 Jetta TDi
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
scoobaroo said:
is there any way to get rid of the sunroof without having to cut and paste an entire L roof on there?
anything can be done if you've got money.

seriously the easiest way is to just weld in some plates (think of those bars that hold racecar windows in in case of a crash) that hold in in place and then take out the motor and junk. But the best way is to cut off the roof and put an l roof on. too much money for me so I just kept the sunroof even though I really want a type RA vent.

·
Registered
97 Impreza Brighton 2.5
47 Posts
very nice! I think we saw your car a few times parked in various locations up in wellsboro. Kept walking by and there it was again!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
cool :) Always nice to see another silver RS with a cage ;)

As for the vent, it can be done the sunroof still in place, though obviously the sunroof won't be functional anymore. FWIW, R-A rules don't require you to reskin the roof if the sunroof is metal, just fix it shut.

·
The Dash Flocker!
00 GF, 04 Jetta TDi
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
10th Warrior said:
cool :) Always nice to see another silver RS with a cage ;)

As for the vent, it can be done the sunroof still in place, though obviously the sunroof won't be functional anymore. FWIW, R-A rules don't require you to reskin the roof if the sunroof is metal, just fix it shut.
did you take out the whole mechanism and just use the bars to fix it shut? I remember seeing pics on the outside but not inside..... I was thinking to take out the whole roof insert, motor ect, and then weld a plate over the hole and smooth it out and paint it.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Originally I just removed the motor. However, I found landing some of the bigger jumps would cause the roof to tilt open a bit. After that, once I'd hit about 70mph, the pressure differential would cause the roof to open ever so slightly. I opted for the cheap and easy fix, if not the prettist: rivited some Al straps over the edges.

Also, when I added the vent, I had to cut the gutter to make room to accuate the handle. The vent didn't leak, but I found out just how much the roof does! A little (well, alot) of silicon grease around the edges fixt that though.

outside:

inside:

·
Registered
681 Posts
I plan on doing something similar, I just picked up a J2-modle 3 tubing bender a few weeks ago. I am building a FIA cage for my rally car but I also want to build a small half cage for my RS.

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP Coupe
599 Posts
man...awesome looking cage. you need to clean up the welds/steel and paint it quick tho...rust isn't your friend, no matter how little there is!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts