Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

'79 Honda cx500 - Single-Shot Cafe'Racer.

5K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  ALL NATURAL 
#1 ·
Automobiles have always been a big part of my life; motorcycles, not so much.
I have went through a few of them and have always loved riding, but the customizing part had never really captivated me.
Well, that has all changed.

My brother stumbled across an ad on Craigslist for a Honda motorcycle. The ad wasn't very informative and even stated that the motorcycle was a 1985 [its really a 1979].
We checked it out anyways. With a gallon of premium and a new battery, we were prepared for the worse, hoping for the best.

It fired up and a test drive later, it was ours. I was just stoked to be back on two-wheels.
It was that night, I looked to see if anything legit could become of my bike; I was flooded with cafe-racer photos and hooked.

Its a very solid platform to start building on; with only ~3,300 miles, shaft-driven, clean engine, all very good signs.
I can't wait to start tinkering with it.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Today, I went out to my bike with the intention of adjusting the carburetors; I ended up with this pile also.

The most noticeable modification that I did was removing the rear fender and mounting the tail light onto the underside of the seat.
This really opened the rear-end and gave it a little more of a raw appearance.
I also removed the orange turn-signal covers, since one was already shattered it look odd having a full one.

For the front-end, I removed the radiator shroud [may prep it to spray it a flat black and then reinstall], removed the unneeded mounts for a front fairing, removed misc. brackets and fixed the rear-view mirror.

I decided to put the side covers back on the back until I purchase the pod filters and remove the stock air box.
I did remove the highway pegs since if used you'll more than likely burn a hole through your pants on the valve cover. Also, removed misc. unneeded brackets.

My speedometer wasn't working correctly. The majority of the time it didn't move, the rest of the time it would get stuck at some random number.
I lubed up the spring inside hoping that was the issue.

I threw it back in and wahlah, it was functional again. Still stoked that it doesn't even have 3,500 miles on it yet.

After all that was said and done, I adjusted the carbs and the bike now runs beautifully. It feels entirely different than the day we picked it up.
In my book, 'the dirtier the hands.. the better the day.'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.