Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states -- I am trying to get a phase 2 EJ25 throttle body to work on a phase 1 EJ22 intake manifold.

The engine I just built in my car is a ej22, ej22t internals, ej22e dual port heads, vf11 turbo, tmic, rrfpr.

Now the car has a rough idle due to the IACV on the TB not able to get air into the intake manifold because the port is not in the intake manifold at all.

I was curious if there was a fix for this - or what I would have to do. Reason I am using the EJ22e intake is because of the phase 1 heads, the ej25 intake manifold does not fit due to being phase 2.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I hate that IACV with a passion. It's a dual coil stepper motor that needs an oscillating signal to go either way. My Link ECU has a daughterboard to control it......but I ain't using it. I ended up buying a 99 EJ22 throttlebody with a 3 wire IACV.....but it's also wierd and doesn't operate like the older type.

I'm about ready to ditch my PCV valve and use the external (manifold mounted) IACV plumbed into the PCV port.

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
If you were going PI wiring with PII engine you can do what Storm suggests which is basically what joejoe-69 outlines in 1 of his turbo builds.
BUT
You are going to opposite way & running a PI motor on PII wiring so I think you need to drill/port out a space for the IAC to draw air from.
This may require that you weld some additional material onto the I/M.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is there any way of wiring in a 3wire IACV to work with the RS ECU ? I know there are 6wires going to the ECU, compared to the 3wire IACV (phase 1 ej22).

If i go the route of drilling/tapping for air - I thinking i will do what has been suggested. Just trying to think of a way of using the 3wire IACV on the RS ecu

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Not that I can think of. You can try pairing up the open wires and close wires to see if it'll operate a 3 wire IACV.

You should have a wire each for:
open 1
gnd 1
close 1
open 2
gnd 2
close 2

Tie together to make:
open 1/2
gnd 1/2
close 1/2

The ecu should toggle between 1 & 2 for a given direction and move the 3 wire IACV.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just curious and not to be an asshole but isnt this the n/a tuning thread?
Figured this was the correct spot since the electronics are from a N/A ECU/engine........ if not then a mod can move it and my apologies.

Not that I can think of. You can try pairing up the open wires and close wires to see if it'll operate a 3 wire IACV.

You should have a wire each for:
open 1
gnd 1
close 1
open 2
gnd 2
close 2

Tie together to make:
open 1/2
gnd 1/2
close 1/2

The ecu should toggle between 1 & 2 for a given direction and move the 3 wire IACV.
Thanks Storm -- I will give it a shot and see what happens. I will update tomorrow and hopefully it will work :D

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I really wouldn't mind delving deeper into the daughterboard for my Link ECU, to see how it converts the signal to operate that stinkin IACV. Asking questions through email is not the most efficient way to communicate with the folks in NZ....and calling is out of the question (haven't thought of using the GF's skype until just now.....).

Using that board and somehow making it into a piggyback signal converter would be pretty practical for P1 to P2 swappers.....

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I'll see what I can do. If I wasn't such a dunce in regards to designing micro controllers, I'd have already built a controller to work that fucker......

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well instead of wiring it to a 3wire IACV i just did the external setup similar to what joe did in one of his threads (i looked it up :D, great BTW). so the IACV is all set to go, now just gotta finish hooking up all the hoses and stuff. hopefully I will update with pictures tomorrow - I just threaded in the fittings, then sealed around them with some JB Weld to make sure there was no leaks.

·
Registered
01 impreza rs 2.5 two door
20 Posts
well instead of wiring it to a 3wire IACV i just did the external setup similar to what joe did in one of his threads (i looked it up :D, great BTW). so the IACV is all set to go, now just gotta finish hooking up all the hoses and stuff. hopefully I will update with pictures tomorrow - I just threaded in the fittings, then sealed around them with some JB Weld to make sure there was no leaks.
Sup man
I am running into these same issues
How do you connected the 6wires to the 3
Got any pics
I would appreciate so much
Thanks

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, '00 911 Cab, '18 CT6 TT, '04 Escalade ESV
5,496 Posts
Sup man
I am running into these same issues
How do you connected the 6wires to the 3
Got any pics
I would appreciate so much
Thanks
This post is like ten years old dude. I doubt the guy is still on here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts