Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 USDM Sti Trans in my car. It has 2004 axle stubs installed with corresponding oil shaft seals. My current axles are female end roll pin versions. My passenger axle is a cheap reman that is making noise. I need to replace it.

I bought a DSS Stage 0 axle allegedly for an 04-07 wrx and 04 STi, which I assumed would be compatible with my male axle stubs. However, when it arrived it has a male inboard end on it. I then attempted to buy a DSS stage 0 GC8 axle from DSS which is apparently discontinued.

My thought right now is to keep the axle I already have purchased and swap the oil seal to an 05-07 STi axle seal, which according to conflicting information, should work???

It seems like all front axles from 98-07ish are the same length and differ only in having a male/female inboard end and maybe differ in beefiness? There are so many PN's out there for axles for these year ranges.

I need a confirmed axle to fit my 01 RS coupe with stock hubs/spindles and 05 STi transmission. The DSS axle I have in the garage right now is this:

The image on their site is incorrect obviously, or I would not have started with this axle. It has a male end, not female.

Any sage wisdom out there? Pounding my head against the internet walls.

·
Registered
1999 Impreza L
568 Posts
My thought right now is to keep the axle I already have purchased and swap the oil seal to an 05-07 STi axle seal, which according to conflicting information, should work???
Should work, 05-07 STI transmission axle seal is the same as Late-04 to 07 Impreza/WRX transmission axle seals. I run 05 Impreza axles in my 07 STI 6spd.

It seems like all front axles from 98-07ish are the same length and differ only in having a male/female inboard end and maybe differ in beefiness? There are so many PN's out there for axles for these year ranges.
As far as I'm tracking they are not the same length.

I need a confirmed axle to fit my 01 RS coupe with stock hubs/spindles and 05 STi transmission. The DSS axle I have in the garage right now is this:

They really need to remove the "04 STI" from the title. Late-04 to 07 Impreza/WRX switched over to axles with inner stubs. But damn, thats an expensive replacement axle. Should have grabbed a used OEM axle.

·
GC8 FTW
7,473 Posts
i run the stock gc length RS axles as the GD axles would constanlty bind or prematurely die.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any idea with the front axle length difference is between GC and GD chassis? I think I remember the back is roughly 10mm wider on the GD chassis (though I could be convoluting R160 and R180 track width, and that could be 10mm / side?)

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
822 Posts
Edit: I'm probably wrong about different length axles. I don't want to spread miss information so I deleted that.

I've had oem r180 axles in my narrow-track (ie stock width) RS for years and haven't had a problem. So has my buddy that we did a 6mt/r180 swap on his Saabaru aero wagon, the axles are still going after all these years. Maybe they would last less time if we raced the cars?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any idea on front length difference from GC to GD? akcel seems to think the longer GD's might be troublesome?

·
GC8 FTW
7,473 Posts
yeah i havent had the rear/stock length r180 axles from the gd body go bad yet. the fronts were an issue for me initially until i switched to narrow gc axles.

I dont believe the rears are different lengths as its the same part number for both sides from subaru.

Rear 2005 STI Axle
Part Number: 28421FE241
Supersession(s): 28421FE240

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
822 Posts

I was wrong on the R180s, The r160s have different lengths, left to right. The r180s have equal length axles as aksel said.

In that same thread you can see the widths of the axles, and also see why I went out of my way to get 04 STI axles - they are the narrowest of the gd r180 ones.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive got my single good front reassembled, booted greased etc. On the advice of Anadersen Design Fab I ordered an A1 Cardone HD axle, and shipped back the DSS axle. I pulled the boots off of the Cardone to inspect t and it looks solid. Rebooted it with OEM boots and clamps. Going to put everything back together tomorrow.

The info on the R180 is noted. I have a set of 04 R180 rear axles which probably need a little love. Ive been looking for a 3.9 R180 for a reasonable price for months, there was a time they were worth $400. Seems now the going rate is $800-$1000 which I reject as a brand new one can be had from Subaru for $1700

1 - 10 of 10 Posts