Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping for 6.5" component speakers for the doors of a 98 RS coupe. I had basically picked out a set of Alpines then when I spoke with an installer he said they won't fit (depth). He said the older generation DD drive Alpines did fit, but the newer lines do not - too deep even with a 1/2" spacer. He said take a look at MB Quart. They apparently have a line with a shallower magnet arrangement. The web site says nothing fits in the doors.

So any 98 owners out there with 6.5s in the doors - what did you get and how was the install done?

Are 98 doors the same as 99-01?

:confused:

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Well, I would assume the doors are all the same, and if it's any help I installed a set of Boston Pro Series 6.4's in the front doors. In case you have not seen these things, they are about the deepest magnet speakers I have ever seen - larger than many 6x9 speaker magnets. I installed them using a 1/4" spacer.

However, I could not install a plastic rain shield over the top of them, but they are weather proof as far as I can tell, so...

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
i just ran into this yesterday. i bought an audiobahn component system. i got them in, and went to roll the window down, now i'm pissed. i really like these speakers. and the stock ones just plain suck, so what are w to do?

brian

·
Registered
410 Posts
6.5" 3-way Infinity Kappas (the green ones) fit if you remove the rubber piece surrounding the magnet. (This is what is in my car currently.) The new Kappas (the silver ones) are shallower, so they may fit without modification.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
nakakmichi sps652 doesn't fit. i have a set sitting at home. they require 3" mounting depth. i heard that kicker resolutions fit easily.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I was told that 2 5/8 was the max depth for the front doors. I have a set of pioneer premier 3ways in mine. Fits perfect.

·
Registered
43 Posts
the new infinity kappa's do fit(the silver ones). they come with some cool spacers. you have to remove the spacer for the stock ones, but the kappa's come with everything you will need. they sound awesome too!

·
Registered
28 Posts
OK, I'll bite. I went looking for the Green Infinity Kappas and found no 6.5" 3-way green Kappas. Anybody have a link I can check out, or a place they like and knows has them?
Thanks guys!
-Chris

·
Registered
43 Posts
the green kappa's are no more, they havent been made for a few years now. i had a set, and they sounded great, but only with one of my amps, they sounded like junk with all my other amps. but the new silver ones have a seperate crossover for the tweeter and they are crystal clear, i still like my kicker resolutions better, but thats a differant story. here's a link to the silver kappa's at crutchfield; http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Il7vpLaMs6T/cgi-bin/prodgroup.asp?s=0&cc=01&g=52000&est=&search=kappa&AVF=N you can find better prices than they have though. i would highly recomend the 3 ways.

·
Premium Member
2000, GF4 wagon, BRP
10,383 Posts
For us with 4 doors. (wagons/sedans) The speakers in the back doors are smaller right? Anyone know the size? I assume the speakers in the front are 6.5"? They look bigger than the ones in the back doors.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i dunno how different my 98 L doors are, but ive got 6.5 inch kickers. Theyre awesome and fit rather nicely. No problems!

:biggest:

·
Third Wingman
00 2.5rs rallyblue
89 Posts
i have a 00 rs coupe, i put in som JL audio 6.5's in the front and back, the ones in the front i got with tweeters. im really happy with them. i dont konw the part numbers or what they were only that they were jl audio, they're really nice, good luck.

·
Registered
99' RS, RIP '00 BRP GC6
869 Posts
Ben.. said:
For us with 4 doors. (wagons/sedans) The speakers in the back doors are smaller right? Anyone know the size? I assume the speakers in the front are 6.5"? They look bigger than the ones in the back doors.
I dont have any speakers in the back doors of my 2000 RS. Mine are in the rear deck behind the seat.

·
Registered
2001 Silver RS-T
482 Posts
I just put some mb quart premium 6.5's in the front doors. If you check out www.iaperformance.com you can get a set of adapter rings that will work for any speaker they make. The fitment was great and they went in easy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought my 2001 RS sedan used. The guy had aftermarket speakers in front doors, as well as in the back. He also wired the whole car, he probably had at least 4 subs in the back! Too bad he took all of that stuff off when he sold the car. He also had Klipsches (sp?) in the back, with only one cone and a very big magnet. I'm a newbie in car audio, but a friend of mine said that those kinds of speakers are usually used to get powerfull mid-range. Front ones were alright, but too deep - the window would not open all the way.

Well, one of the front speakers broke, so I'm trying to replace all 4 to finally get it right. Any recommendations, ideas or advice is welcome. As I said, I know little about car audio. I have a Pioneer deck (about 1 year old) and the car is prewired for amps/woofers. I'm not looking to spend too much money, but I'd rather not buy anything at all than buy crap :) Quality > loud.

I'm thinking about replacing just the speakers for now. Also, does it make sense to get an amp without a sub, just for speakers?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
in regards to your last question, an amp powering your full-range speakers is absolutely a good idea. You'll notice much greater dynamics, less distortion, better mid-bass and imaging. Of course subwoofers are nice, but personally if I were going to invest in one or another, I'd do a good amp for your front/rear speakers, and worry about subs later.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts