Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Brighton Cpe, 01 LegOutback
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start, I'd like to say: "Yes, I did search. Unfortunately, I've only found one topic with a similar noise."

So last night, while driving someone home, my transmission developed this ticking (clicking, popping?) sound. It starts above 1200RPMs at random RPMs, but does not matter what gear it is in. As long as the car is in motion, the sound is present. Whether or not the clutch is engaged, it is there. Turning does not affect the sound, but the faster you go, the less annoyance there is. It will only go away when I am stopped. It did seem louder in reverse just a bit ago. The sound is also right around where the shifter/boot would be.

The only thing I can think of is the cause being from the knife that someone dropped behind the dashboard, or my uneven tires (wear matches on both fronts and both rears with the rears being the lower tread).

Could anyone give me possible insights of what's going on before I just decide to sell this car?

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe Silverthorn 5spd
565 Posts
Check all CV's, check driveshaft for any rocks in the carrier bearing, check brakes. Could be throw out bearing going...or the flywheel bearing. Check trans fluid level?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Post a vid with sound.
As requested:

Instagram (phone would only let me record with instagram. :unamused: )

I've also found that I can now hear it while idling and the sound goes away with the clutch disengaged. :unamused: When I went to reverse, it also conveniently made the noise in a less noisy manner, at least this time it did.

·
Registered
00'RS/02' WRX stgEleventy
2,144 Posts
Wow.. thats pretty nasty.. I would check the main propshaft .. that seems slower than engine speed but faster than vehical speed? Yes?

What "speed" does it follow? That will point a direction on this

Sent from an other planet (Tapatalk)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow.. thats pretty nasty.. I would check the main propshaft .. that seems slower than engine speed but faster than vehical speed? Yes?

What "speed" does it follow? That will point a direction on this

That sounds about right in terms of being faster than speed, slower than engine. Im not sure how related to rpms it is, so ill try to get that checked on in a moment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news everyone! My transmission imploded!

Yeah, not happening on my watch. Turns out the last slushy storm decided to embed a crap load of ice chunks between the heat shields and drive shaft.

The last picture is to show how big some were compared to my hands size.

Edit: not sure why some pictures duplicated. Can't delete from post using app, sorry. Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Hahahahahaha...

I just had to pull BOTH back wheels and knock/melt the rock hard ice out.. I thought a wheel bearing imploded.. check this shizzy out...

Watch till the end..

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
A simple pic here.. but check out the clod of ice on the trailing link and how its shaped to the body.. hahaha

I had to do this in -6*...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy crap. Plenty of ice, eh? Lol it sucks you had to do it in that temp, but that was entertaining to watch the strut drop back down. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts