Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 impreza coupe, 03 WRX wagon
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay plain and simple, the 4eat in my impreza is on its way out. I would like to swap to a 5spd which I already know needs the pedals, the cable, trans, diff, shaft, clutch/flywheel. Now my big question is what will I have to prepare for in the ways of electrical/wiring?

·
Premium Member
2004 WRB WRX Wagon
514 Posts
I would pretty much be prepared to search this site and google. Im doing the same thing and found every answer i needed to know within about 20 minutes. Hey i'm not normally a ass but its 4 am and i have to go to work :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
try to find the ECU diagram for your exact year, there should be a pin that needs to be grounded out to tell the ECU that it is a manual trans car, not sure of the exact pin name. not grounding this pin on my car caused it to go in to limp mode and not rev over 4k

Also on mine there was a mechanism that would lock the key in the ignition until the auto shifter was in park, if you disconnected the shifter it would not think it was in park and the key would not come out. look in to that also.

i think there are sometimes issues with the speedo also, depending on your exact model and the trans you are swapping in.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would pretty much be prepared to search this site and google. Im doing the same thing and found every answer i needed to know within about 20 minutes.
I rarely get every answer I get even if I find a step-by-step walkthrough, that's why I ask while I do my research. That way I can get peoples first hand info and what issues they ran into, just as Fifty1 shed some light on his swap.

Also on mine there was a mechanism that would lock the key in the ignition until the auto shifter was in park, if you disconnected the shifter it would not think it was in park and the key would not come out. look in to that also.
Is this something that would be easily remedied with a new ignition cylinder? Or just tear into the column, break something and put it back? (joke)

i think there are sometimes issues with the speedo also, depending on your exact model and the trans you are swapping in.
Given that I have a 99 impreza with the phaseII 2.2 I was intending to find another 99 if possible so that any electrical changes would match. Figures I had a 99 legacy wagon with the same motor and a 5spd that I pawned off for the forester :wtf:

·
Enthusiast
2001 SRP L
2,513 Posts
the physical part is easy, but it gets tricky once it gets to the electrical part.

I have quite a few things for a 5spd swap, lmk!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the physical part is easy, but it gets tricky once it gets to the electrical part.

I have quite a few things for a 5spd swap, lmk!
Im just looking at a lot of little things that people have run into in their swaps, like some people saying their reverse lights stopped working, or having to modify wiring to get the fuel pump to work...

What all do you have for a 5spd swap??? Im very interested granted I may not be able to attain anything immediately (not until Im working again) but I wanna know what I need to source and what Im looking to match up to.

I know the 99 legacy had a cable clutch not hydro, and I assumed just for ease of use I would go with what matches... but if Im potentially trying for boost in the future should I go hydro?? I really dont know the pros and cons to either as I only drove my 3kgt (hydro clutch) for a short time and the legacy... well the clutch was non-existent when we got ahold of it :blol:

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
The cable clutch cables have been known to fail under the pressure of upgraded pressure plates, and they aren't self-adjusting. Just something to think about.

The reverse lights won't work after the swap, the plugs between the 5MT and 4EAT are very different. Most people make an adapter harness to change the 5MT's individual reverse and NSS wiring to fit the old auto plug.

Additionally, you'll need to either jumper the P/N interlock or hook up the wires to the clutch switch to get the starter working.

There's a few other little things, but those are the biggest issues. This has been covered before...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a few other little things, but those are the biggest issues. This has been covered before...
That's exactly why I asked, Ive done homework and haven't gotten entirely conclusive findings. the diy, which is posted on this forum, the op had no issues with the reverse lights. It was mentioned that cruise control and ABS will be lost, but with my model you cant lose what you don't have. Im reading up and checking other works in the process, but at the same time it would be nice to get info from other people to fill in the blanks.

·
Registered
98 gc coupe L
127 Posts
Ill be doing the same thing to my 98 coupe but am go n switch out all my harness to the 5speed good luck I hate wiring in things I'd rather just switch out the harness less hassle of course more work but least u don't gotta worry about shorts

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
That's exactly why I asked, Ive done homework and haven't gotten entirely conclusive findings. the diy, which is posted on this forum, the op had no issues with the reverse lights. It was mentioned that cruise control and ABS will be lost, but with my model you cant lose what you don't have. Im reading up and checking other works in the process, but at the same time it would be nice to get info from other people to fill in the blanks.
Hmm. I will admit, I haven't read the DIY but in passing. I guess it's assumed that people realize there's rewiring to be done? Either way the two big ones are the reverse and P/N interlock.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm. I will admit, I haven't read the DIY but in passing. I guess it's assumed that people realize there's rewiring to be done? Either way the two big ones are the reverse and P/N interlock.
Oh I definitely knew there would be rewiring, of course. I just wanted to know what all to expect going wrong, because mose diy write-ups dont mention 90% of the problems we tend to run into.

I had imagined I would have to swap in the 5spd ECU, but apparently its not vital (again according to the diy) the car will run with the old ecu. I knew I would have to do something about the clutch switch wiring, however Ill probably rewire a clutch bypass/starter kill. Instead of having to press the clutch to activate the circuit, perhaps tap into the brake pedal switch? Or a button in the cubby next to the steering wheel?

Ill be doing the same thing to my 98 coupe but am go n switch out all my harness to the 5speed good luck I hate wiring in things I'd rather just switch out the harness less hassle of course more work but least u don't gotta worry about shorts
I do agree with this idea, but Im already debating my options of a wrx swap, in which case the car is getting pulled apart to rewire everything. If I can avoid doing so twice, Id like to avoid it. Imm trying to map out the pros and cons of each move. like a good game of chess I wanna plan 1, 2, maybe 5 moves ahead. If I really HAD to rewire the car with a 5mt harness/ecu, I would just throw in another 4eat until I did my wrx swap. When I do that, Ill be looking into replacing everything. If I can manage it, a trans with dccd would be nice. Doubtful, but a happy thought.

·
Registered
98 gc coupe L
127 Posts
Yea I hate that mines auto but once the motor goes I planned on finding a wreck bug eye or donor and swapping the suspension interior wiring motor swap into my gc

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I hate that mines auto but once the motor goes I planned on finding a wreck bug eye or donor and swapping the suspension interior wiring motor swap into my gc
My sentiments exactly, the drivetrain has almost 250k on it and I have another ej22 I could drop in, but the 4eat is also getting tired. I was debating on dropping in the motor and swapping to a 5spd until I can manage to find myself a wrx swap with the trans and with any luck add in the dccd.

I just want to gauge the wisdom in rewiring to accomodate for the 5spd just to pull it all out when I do a full overhaul. End result the car will be gutted to the bone, probably in the process of the paint and body work, and I wont mind running a new harness then. but having to get under the dash and weed through pre-existing headaches... :bonk:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts