Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not there yet...he still has to tune it. I'll post pictures of this bad boy as soon as I get them uploaded. Just engine shots for right now. Also up and available will be the 2.5L bottom end for a beast just like this...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I'm goofing off with this... a real page with it will be up soon enough. This is a gt30 hybrid turbo. It's got a huge compressor and wheel with a smaller exhaust hausing. 650 injectors and timing are controlled through a Link ECU (that needs tuning). It quite impressive to watch a ball of flame come out the ass end of this thing...

More coming soon...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more photos...

I like a nice bottom end...how about you? this one is rated at 500hp

--molybdenum, ceramic, and teflon coated forged J&E pistons
--pauter rods
--knife edged and polished crankshaft

All for 2.5L at present.

This isn't in the car pictured above. That customer is slightly nuts (perfect fit here.), and uses a 2.2 legacy turbo block, dog box, huge injectors, and a Link.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here's a closeup of a knifedged and polished crank on the bottom compared to stock on the top. Notice thinner, reduced radius crank filets and polished journals.

·
Registered
1993 Impreza L Greyish
1,694 Posts
Re: more photos...

PDMturbos said:
I like a nice bottom end...how about you? this one is rated at 500hp

--molybdenum, ceramic, and teflon coated forged J&E pistons
--pauter rods
--knife edged and polished crankshaft

All for 2.5L at present.
How much would this run?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here's a better shot of the engine bay. God I love shiny aluminum!

Yeah, I did get to go in a ride in this thing. I've never been plastered to the seat like that in my life in ANY impreza. I wasn't worried about lag...I was too busy holding on. From the outside, it sounds like a bike at full tilt boogy. It's kind of deep at idle and low rpm, but winds up like an opposed bike when the turbo hits. It's a nasty sound that must be heard to be believed.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Yeah, so, um, like, when are you going to come up to Aurora/Denver and take me for a ride? :devil:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
around $2500, possibly less. I need to talk to Joel about pricing.
Stock cams are better than you think, we're looking at valvetrain packages, too...

...as for that ride....I'll get my car done here in the next month...new struts, springs, flywheel, clutch..aaaaaannnddd

feel the tension???

"High" boost PDM Turbo kit!!!(10psi, legacy turbo, secondary injectors)...........MUAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO 6spd
4,229 Posts
Forgive the noob question, but what's that piece that says PDM on it?

JC

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's okay! Ya gotta start somewhere. That's the 4 core cooling unit for the water to air intercooler. Water/coolant come in one end, pass through the rows inside and back out the return line to the pump and tank. Then, back through that core again. It absorbes more heat than a front mount intercooler. There's also less piping than a front mount. The downside is that it can become heat saturated after long periods of hard driving. That's providing you don't get caught in the process and still have guts to keep driving that fast ;). The water to air intercooler runs $1500. FMIC's can run a grand or 1200.

·
Registered
1993 Impreza L Greyish
1,694 Posts
Also water to air intercoolers don't need a hoodscoop which means you can make nice sleepers using them.

Or if you have an L and you don't want spend the cash to buy an RS hood, scoop, vents, headlights, grill OR buy another bumper and do all the cutting to fit the front mount you can still have an intercooled turbo system.

Water to air intercoolers are sweet :checkit:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The kit also comes with the radiator, necessary lines, clamps, bracketrey, and water tank.

The WAIC radiator sits up front by the stock radiator. We haven't tried mounting it anywhere else. There's a few feet of hose that can be tricky. No one will really know it's there unless they look. Legacy owners don't have to cut their hoods, either. A huge custom top mt intercooler is available, but it really needs that hole in the hood to be beneficial. This also cools more than a top or FMIC...resulting in a denser intake charge :). We took readings after a hard run. The laser temp guage thingy (I dunno what it was...) read over 150 degree difference b/n the turbine, pipe, intercooler, manifold and TB temps. Ambient was about 30-35 degrees and the TB was 73. I don't remember what the turbo temp was offhand. It had no problem running like a scalded ape even at part throttle.

·
Registered
613 Posts
woohoo! very impressive. what's the compression ratio? nice rods, those. the new x pattern. i got a set in my 2.5. keep the pics coming. :cool:edit: hey!those are my rings, my crank, my pistons and my bolts too!! did you bridge the block? what's the ecu? you're gonna toast your clutch. heh

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This rotating assembly is the same stuff going into Larry Ganz car.
It'll have 8 injectors, custom IWTU ecu, and an injector controller.
There's two other blocks also being built with these parts for use with turbos. The compression is 8:1. The block isn't bridged. This bottom end can support up to 30psi. 20-25 is closer to nominal for the block and tranny's sake. The big monster above is on a 2.2 block with slightly less than 8:1 compression. This is territory of t3/t4 sized turbos and bigger. The vf22 could barely support what the rest of the motor is capable of after this. What we're shooting for with 8 injectors, this bottom end, and 20-25psi of boost is 500+hp. It'll have enough fuel for 600hp however.

·
Registered
1999/2017 RSTI
221 Posts
DAMN!!!!!

I have the legecy block... how much for this "stroker" kit... what heads do you use and what valves???? I want it!!!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The botom end kit is for phase 2 2.5L blocks...not really stroker as much as the right stuff in that block with our kits. If you indeed have a phase 1 2.2 turbo block from a legacy, then you are good to go. Just bolt THAT in with one of our turbo kits and it's pretty indestructable. Upgrade the fuel delivery and you're set. That's what is under teh big turbo pictured above. Gary

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My RS has the stock tranny. The big one above has a dog box and upgraded diffs. I'm not QUITE near that level yet ;).

·
Registered
83 Posts
OK, I have the same internals just not as low of compression as you. I am at 8.5 to 1. How many pounds of boost at the moment? Are you running the second set of injectors yet? Any numbers to the wheels yet? What PEMS are you running? Did you close the deck or just O-ring it? Did you sleeve it? I am curious about your set up. How noisy is your motor? Mine is pretty quiet inside for a forged set up. Looks good. Pleas keep us tuned for the next chapter.

Forgot one more question. I am also interested in the top end work. Could you keep us up on the development of your top end work as well?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The 2.2 bottom end in the black monster pictured has handled 30psi of boost like a charm. It's a BONE STOCK 2.2 LEGACY TURBO ENGINE! The bottom end kit is designed to give the same rock solid reliability at up to 30psi. 20-25 is what we recommend with good tuning however. The black one has 650 injectors with a link ECU. I'll be running secondary injectors on my car though. Built 2.5 blocks we highly recommend getting the block o-ring'd. The blocks aren't really that noisy at all. They use factory style semi floating pins. The pins are chromemoly, however, in the kit. I'll see what I can put together in terms of top end kits. We stick with the stock cams due to lack of quality regrinds, or new hollow camshafts like later stock engines. Most likely, a valve train kit with springs, locks and retainers will be offered. Stainless valves are a little pricey and would be priced separately. Stock valves hold up quite well. Stay tuned for pictures of our 00 Legacy turbo car. That'll have it's own thread :). Gary

1 - 20 of 24 Posts