Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok is it just me or does the tach go slow from idle to right at 4k then after 4k the tach flies up to redline and the car takes off. I noticed this on MY97 2.2 and on my 01 RS.

I always figured it was something with subaru's. Anyone else notice this. Happens in all gears, well not sure about 5th. It seems as if throttle response is much quicker/crisper after 4k.

This may be the hesitation everyone refers to. I had thought most people were seein it with in a 1k band though not from idle all of the way up to 4k.

Any insight or comments on telling me how I am a goof are welcome.

Buster

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
I guess I'd have to start by ansering your question with a question. What mods do you have? IF you've opened up the top end breathing and no reduced rotating mass (i.e. pulleys, flywheel, etc) then it makes sense. The engine has to get all that mass moving (i.e overcoming low inertia) and once it gets it going its easier to keep it moving/accelerating. Don't knwo if this helps or not but above and beyond that if its REALLY slow then you may have a sender or electrical issue. Bon Chance!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
its because of the torque and power curves of the engine. peak torque is at 4400rpm, and peak power is something in the range of 5000-5500 IIRC. the basic answer to your question is that the engine is producing more torque (and hence hp) at above 4k, allowing the car to accerlate faster.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. :)

Both of those answer made sense. I have a CAI and Stormung exhaust(cat back). Then just suspension stuff. It isn't really slow, it's just a bit slower. Thanks again.

Buster

·
Registered
95 Posts
I understand thet our flywheels are very heavy so it takes a bit of umph... to get the thing spinning. Have you ever driven a Honda? My prelude didn't even wake up until 3500 rpm.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
when i drove an EP RX-7, the owner said to me:
"try an keep it in the powerband"
"what's the range?"
"7-9k"
"fuck, my car redlines at 6200. this is going to be fun"

and it was :biggest:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts