Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 98 impreza and everything has been great except i’m running into some problems with the transmission. When in 3rd and 4rd the shifter moves forwards and backwards when going from acceleration to deceleration, but in 4th gear everything will be fine on acceleration, but once i let off and am on decel, the shifter moves forwards and pops out of gear. If i hold this shifter very lightly (yes i know that’s bad) to prevent it from moving too far forwards and popping out of gear then everything is fine. My question, is this an issue with the shifter linkage, moving back and forth and this motion causing it to pop out of gear, or is this an issue with the transmission itself? Not a lot of money left for this project and i’m really hoping it’s something that can be solved relatively easily. I’ve already changed the transmission fluid to start but that had no affect.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
661 Posts
I did a quick search of this site, sounds like the shift fork(s) are misaligned or bent from the few threads that popped up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts