Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 WRX
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently did a complete conversion on my 99RS, essentially went to 07 STI. When I took the steering column out of the car, I left the key in there so I wouldn't lose it during the swap process. At one point, I needed to get the key out so I could get my chipped STI key cut for that ignition and have it programmed for my ECU/Immobilizer. It wouldn't switch back to lock or come out so I thought maybe the steering column needed to be in the car and have everything plugged in.

I get everything in the car a few weeks later, and try it again. No luck, the key still won't turn to the LOCK position. I read around and found a website saying that if you just unplug the shift lock unit, it should release the solenoid and allow me to turn it to LOCK so I can release the key. Well, it didn't.

Does anybody have any idea how I can get the solenoid in the ignition cylinder to turn to the "LOCK" position so I can release the key?

·
Registered
1998, Impreza L, Brilliant Red
429 Posts
there are to black wires that went into the automatic shifter it tells the computer that it is in park. It puts power to the solenoid and it should let the key out. I put the two wires together and used a crimp and that fixed it for good.

·
Registered
2006 WRX
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just hit the manual release on the bottom of the lock cylinder and unplugged the shift lock unit. Problem solved!

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
there are to black wires that went into the automatic shifter it tells the computer that it is in park. It puts power to the solenoid and it should let the key out. I put the two wires together and used a crimp and that fixed it for good.

Exactly, I suggest keeping this part of the harness and cutting the wires on the shifter side splicing and clipping them in, clean and reversible option.

more importantly, this turns the fuel pump on

1 - 4 of 4 Posts