Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Enthusiast
2001 SRP L
2,513 Posts
I'm visiting from the SVX forums and I thought I would share a little discovery we made in the hope it will be useful to you guys.

I've never seen an USDM Impreza, so I'm making an assumption that some of you have the 4EAT automatic gearbox and that it is similar to the one fitted to USDM model SVXes.

The USDM 4EAT has a power mode that comes on when you kick down on the gas. The power mode causes the gears to shift at a higher RPM for increased acceleration when overtaking.

The JDM 4EAT in my cars also has a power mode, but it is activated by a switch. I traced the wiring and found that the switch connects pin A4 of the TCU to ground. That's the 4th pin of the 1st connector.

After I posted that on the SVX forums, a guy called Nomake Wan compared the wiring on his USDM car and found pin A4 was not connected. So he grounded it to see what would happen. When he put shifter in D, the power mode came on, just like the Japanese cars.:cool:

Since then, a lot of USDM SVX owners have started connecting up switches to enable power mode and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. It makes the car feel much more responsive and sporty to drive.

A few guys on the Legacy forums also tried it, but with mixed results. It works for some but not for others. It depends on the firmware version of the TCU.

Maybe it will work for you, maybe not. But it is probably worth trying.
i find this very cool! thanks

·
Registered
03OBS
402 Posts
so this mod keeps it in this "sport" mode consistently? sounds like its not the best idea ever for gas-mileage concscious people, but if its as simple as grounding the pin then installing a toggle shouldnt be that difficult, either. anyone have input on that theory?

<not the best with electronics :lol:

·
Registered
99 Impreza L
32 Posts
Has anyone with a 4EAT impreza noticed a light or cutout in their clusters for "Power" mode like on the SVX?

·
Registered
1998 Impreza RS2.5 #29
93 Posts
so this mod keeps it in this "sport" mode consistently? sounds like its not the best idea ever for gas-mileage concscious people, but if its as simple as grounding the pin then installing a toggle shouldnt be that difficult, either. anyone have input on that theory?

<not the best with electronics :lol:
ive have had mine done since my post on 9/17 and have not seen a decrease only thing thats going to hurt gas milage is how heavy your foot is

·
Registered
02MBP/07 2.5i SB&HEADS/DT:STG2
1,048 Posts
I drive in or drop it into 3rd most of the time i am moving (exception = freeway or cruising). Seems, i get the same results as what the svx thread describes from doing this. any chance we can save a lot of wiring & possible screw ups by just doing this? in 3rd my vehicle doesn't constantly switch between gears in traffic, power is there when i want it without having to floor it, & it engine brakes like a manual. sounds like power mode.

·
Registered
03OBS
402 Posts
ive have had mine done since my post on 9/17 and have not seen a decrease only thing thats going to hurt gas milage is how heavy your foot is
thanks! Im thinking of doing this to my forester so I was curious.

·
Registered
2002 Volkswagon Jetta
660 Posts
2000 subaru outback, i want. Where is this A4 Pin exactly? In for pics along with... everyone else.

·
Registered
02MBP/07 2.5i SB&HEADS/DT:STG2
1,048 Posts
the picks are in the original thread on the svx forum for those waiting around here. there's more than enough info over there to go do it.

·
Registered
Impreza outback MY99
43 Posts
Awesome idea although i'm a little hesitant about trying it. Turboaddiction any update with how things are holding up?

·
Registered
2001 Impreza L
732 Posts
In for updates.

My friend's 97 Lexus SC300 has something similar. There's a switch on his center console that allows shifting at higher RPMs while accelerating.

·
Registered
00' Legacy L
41 Posts
I ended up figuring something out. On our TCU's their are 2 connectors a grey and white one. I ended up looking at the pinouts for both and figured out that pin 20 on the white connector might be the correct one.

I grounded it out and it does seem to be a bit sportier. The shifts also last a bit longer as well. But I think it is all relative to each driver so I am going to do some more trials and un-ground it for a week and see if their is a real difference.

I can post up pin-ups in a bit if anyone wants to look at them...

21 - 40 of 53 Posts