Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
121 - 140 of 358 Posts
Discussion starter · #121 · (Edited)
Welcome to the fun ColdFusion. You sir, are in luck! I know for a fact that I figured out the 1990 Legacy.

I've got a particularly crazy day today, but tonight I'll dig up the info and PM you.

**Edit** - PM Sent!

well i have the project started, here's some pictures:

bottom of perfboard

with everything together/soldered

and the switch mounted on a blank dash plug

it's going pretty good i guess. i wish i would've done the switch plate better, but maybe i can get another soon. also my skills aren't quite as good as defcon's, but it's passbale anyway :lol:

I know this has been around for awhile, but FANTASTIC thread.

I was thinking it was a total bummer that I was 'stuck' with the 4EAT in my RS, but i've been finding more and more things that are making me feel alright with the fact I have a 4EAT. Nice.

success! got it installed today. wasn't all that complicated, but running my wires was kind of a pain

so i got it all set, pulled out of the garage with the unit off, spun the tires a bit and got that noticeable clunk i always get. slowed down again and switched on and pulled around the bend on my diveway and goosed it a little and i could feel the back end pushing instantly w/out the clunk, and i drifted the driveway a bit. good times. too bad my tires aren't better :(
now some technical info for you legacy turbo guys:

as far as i could tell, the NA's are the same as the turbos as far as the the wire color and location, at least in 92's an 94's. i was looking through some fsm's last night and found this out.

the plug is b33 on the tcu, the one closest to the firewall, and it's black, 2X8. pin location b33 #3 and the wire color is white w/black stripe

when i did the diganostic testing (never did confirm the correct resistance for a turbo tranny) but i went ahead with it anyway.

when i did the first test with the the fuse in, i got about 9.1 volts, and without the fuse, in first and WOT, i was getting about 0.1V

so there yo have it, another happy customer!

edit:btw here's a pic from the fsm, red line is the one you want here. this was actually from a 92 NA legacy schema. also this is the biggest my photobucket would store the image for some reason, so maybe if you need to look real close you can enlarge it or something.

Discussion starter · #125 ·
Freakin' beautiful. Round of applause for reddragons - VERY nice work.

Thanks for adding some much needed tech info for the earlier years of the Legacy platform. Interesting to note that the "inverted" Duty C logic doesn't come around until later - I wonder what drove that decision.

Either way, great job - you'll love the extra push when the real snow falls. In fact, I just remembered I have to go hook mine up again since it got disabled when I was "experimenting". Off to the garage I go....

I definitely want to try this.

I was lead to this thread while searching for a plausible solution to a harsh(more like severe) 3-4 shifting flare in my recently acquired 99 OB Limited.

Terribly sorry to hear about your job loss. Had a nerving experience myself here recently. I would have to agree to the comment made about the greedy people messing it up for everyone.

I am afraid that I don't have your skill set for knowing how to make all of this work. Well, more specifically using the potentiometer, and making the graphic display. Very cool ideas BTW.

As I understand it, you still are in the prototyping phase of this, no? I would be curious to see your notes on what you have so far. I grew up with a father that wrote in nothing but chicken scratch, try me. I have AutoCAD, and can work on drawing out a schematic in my spare time. At work I seem to have lots of this, being on location, and on call for 14 days at a time. . .

I have a 91 Legacy LS as well. I would love to try it out as well. But I recently killed the engine. Haven't had the opportunity to tear into it to find out exactly what I did. :( To be honest, I have been pondering if I could trade the transmissions between the 91 and the 99. The 91 seemed to shift so much nicer, faster, and actually into the correct gear. . .

Best wishes and good luck to you and yours,

Ty

I was lead to this thread while searching for a plausible solution to a harsh(more like severe) 3-4 shifting flare in my recently acquired 99 OB Limited.

I have a 91 Legacy LS as well. I would love to try it out as well. But I recently killed the engine. Haven't had the opportunity to tear into it to find out exactly what I did. :( To be honest, I have been pondering if I could trade the transmissions between the 91 and the 99. The 91 seemed to shift so much nicer, faster, and actually into the correct gear. . .

Best wishes and good luck to you and yours,

Ty
that sounds like an alright idea. not sure if all the electronics are the same. i'd maybe start a thread in the trans forums, maybe try nasioc and legacy central as well. I like the tranny in my 94 ss pretty good. nice shift points, some autos seems to have weird shift points.

that sounds like an alright idea. not sure if all the electronics are the same. i'd maybe start a thread in the trans forums, maybe try nasioc and legacy central as well. I like the tranny in my 94 ss pretty good. nice shift points, some autos seems to have weird shift points.

I'll look into this. Either someone told me, or I read it in a manual (or a combination of both) that the earlier transmissions had some adjustments, and the later ones did not. Come to think of it, I believe a service manual was talking about adjusting the bands via a nut or bolt on the top of the trans. And then a service tech told me that the newer one is all electronic, therefore not adjustable to try and solve the mentioned 3-4 flare.

Somewhere in this thread it was talked about the TCM learning driver habits. Is there a way to clear these without reflashing the TCM?

^^^ i dunno. but i was thinking with a swap, wouldn't yore tcu control all the shifts anyway, even in a comparable trans? i'm not sure what years have the brake band adjusting, but i've seen it somewhere too.

mine lags a bit on the 1-2 shift, but it's pretty tolerable really.

Found the band adjustment in a Haynes manual this afternoon. For the 1990-1998 Legacy "All Models." Go figure, I need to go buy another manual.:bonk:. Oh well.

The "flare" in mine is so severe if you let Cruise control run things for you while going up any kind of a hill, it will knock what ever you had sitting on the front of the seat all the way to the back. It almost hits the rev limiter before engaging the next gear. Didn't let it do that more than a couple times before I became a bit more proactive.

Sorry for straying from the real purpose of this thread.

I recently took on this project with my 2003 Legacy L, following all the directions here. Everything hooked right up, but I will say the output from the TCU was in the same spot, but was a yellow w/ green stripe wire.

I got to test out the mod yesterday and today after 19" of snow we got here in the DC area. There is a noticeable difference in the way the car will make turns from a stop with the transmission locked. With the AWD, the car will understeer until power is transferred back, but the the lock engaged the car went exactly where I pointed the wheels. I also didn't have to work as hard to get the rear end to come around.

Great mod, and thanks for taking the time to document all this :)

Discussion starter · #133 ·
Whew! Brief panic...we lost all the images for a few. Luckily they were still on the server. let me know if anything else gets screwy.

I'm still around if anyone needs help or advice. Heck, if it comes to it, I'll build you one if you want - just PM me.

nice it works. on 96 the rwd is near the strut on the passengers side and the duty c wire is white and black strip. 3 pins in on the connect with 16 pins

had a perfect snow drift around a dead end. i felt perfectly in control while the back brushed against the snow banks around the whole circle.

I'll have to double check and I don't know if it's already stated, but I think the SVX in part already has this built into the crap box. It only is active in2nd and 3rd but is switch triggered on the gear sellector. It holds in lower gears longer and such for better traction but I have a feeling it also locks into the 50/50 split. Will have to check. I basicly us it when I'm in a "need traction NOW" times knowing I'm more likely gonna have less grip coming up. I'll have to check in with other SVX peeps that know their 4EAT shit. If I'm wrong... I'll be more than happy to add this to my 94' LSi. :)

yes this is true. but i have heard the it is only locked in 5050 in 1st and 2nd. and what we are doing is pretty much just taking that fucntion and placing it in a single control for any gear.

Second and third is the "lock" with "manual mode". I'm still gonna double check but not much point then for me if the manual mode locks in50/50 since second and third are what it would be used in. Not much point for it in first or fourth.

I'd like to thank defcon5 for hooking me up with a "Diff Lock" had it about 1 week after my first email to him. It installed in aprox 20 min. He is the most thorough person I have ever dealt with, and one of the most outgoing. Fantastic quality and directions. If your not up to tackling the build of the board I highly recommend shooting him an email. +++ for a great guy and a great idea. Now I just need more SNOW :) !!!

Woke up to a small amount of snow day after install and OMG what a DIFFerence ! Wow the amount of control the car has now is unreal. i did a couple donuts in the parking lot reversed direction and slid into the garage bay completely controlled (car wouldn't do donuts before due to under-steer). If you haven't done this mod yet you dont know what your missing.

lol wish i could run this we have been having snow after snow so far but i got no car AWD lol... b4 i knew about about the 50/50 lock i use 2 auto cross my legacy in D2... but the center diff didnt like that to much and now that i know about it i cant do anything b/c its burnt up lol.. but this is an awsome mod thanks!

Discussion starter · #140 ·
Well, a few days ago we just got our first 'real' snowfall here in the Detroit area, and let me just reinforce how freakin' FUN even a lowly 2.2l Impreza can be in the snow. I'm not Pastrana, and my car has almost no power, but when I can flip the switch and pull off a solid 1/4 mile "s-turn" drift with perfect control - nothing else seems to matter.

Ok - I'm going back to giggling like an idiot as I clean the snow off of my rear windows (proof of a good drift - maybe I'll leave it...)

FYI - With winter here, I'm getting a lot of questions about how to build the mod etc.. As good as the RS25 PM system is, it's a hassle to log in and check everytime, so I set up a new email account (defcon5industriesatgmaildotcom) to handle questions about the mod - so if you have any questions - feel free to ask.

121 - 140 of 358 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.