Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

301 - 320 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
'99 OBS
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
HOLY CRAP - I had no idea this thread was still alive and kicking! Sometime after my last post, I was unsubscribed. I don't know how or why that happened; I just assumed that interest had died out.

I'm happy to see that others picked up the ball and ran with it. It seems the thread has been in good hands. I haven't had a chance to read through everything that's happened in my absence, but skimming over it, I see some very well thought out work - with labeled pictures even!
I'll try to read the rest of the thread over the holiday break(s) and answer any unanswered questions, but in the meantime, I'm still available via email and/or PM.

I do have some parts available if guys/gals want to build their own. I can occasionally build a kit, but it's increasingly difficult with my schedule. I also had to reluctantly part ways with my little silver Outback Sport a few years ago, so my development platform is now running around in western Michigan somewhere, and my wife won't let me touch our 05 Outback.

·
Registered
2001 L Sedan
126 Posts
Just did this mod today, all hardware store and radio shack components. Really desperate for some snow to test this out for real... confirmed the operation with binding and felt the release of the pressure when i switched off the system.

defcon thanks so much for the amazing write up.

I think the second best part about this mod is how unique it makes my car. I now have a 2001 L with 66k miles, an assortment of non-intense mods, PLUS a 4x4 lock switch. Nothin in the world like it. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excellent thread, excellent writeup.
I've got all my components on order and will be here Tuesday I hope.

In the interim, we are going to be experiencing less than ideal conditions down here in Alabama. I've got a 2001 Fozzy with the 4eat and wanted to clarify one thing. (Dummy load is pending install). Can I temporarily splice the Duty C solenoid wire into a switch and run without power to the coil? I've read the entirety of this thread and many others and have come across conflicting reports.

TL; DR. Wire in switch without dummy load, any adverse effects? (Temporarily)

·
Registered
4 Posts
So a 2002 outback....any guess as to how which way the solenoid is set up on that one? Meaning: on that car no voltage to solenoid = fully locked or fully disengaged?

I still don't understand how to set up the newer versions with the reversed setup. Can anybody get more specific on that for me?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, got this done and it's SWEET!

Biggest surprise was on very slippery slush-over-ice at highway speeds. I think that tcm goes 90/10 at highway speed even when it's ice rink slick. 4lock really helped.

I used 2 aluminum-housed wirewound 50 watt 30 ohm resistors bolted to a peltier thermoelectric cooling unit. I like to overbuild stuff too.

I used a dpdt on-off-on switch and a 5 pin relay to produce a 3 position switch FWD-AWD-4WD

Here's a diagram of how I did mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize there is a looooong history with this thread, and have read through most of it, but I still have one question... How is this mod different than what Subaru already did on the 02-07 STIs with the DCCD center diff controller?? It seems like I should be able to get one of those controllers and make it work somehow...

Peace!

Edit: Just went back and re-read the entire post, and kinda answered my own question! :) The DCCD is way more technically advanced than the scope of this mod...

·
Registered
1996 Subaru Legacy
1 Posts
It is wonderful that this post is still going strong. Just did this mod yesterday and it is a simple one. Had it done in a couple hours. My car is a 1996 Subaru Legacy so it was a different set of plugs and wires.

The TCU has 3 plugs. The plug that contains the correct wire is B55, the topmost plug with 16 terminals. The correct wire is pin 3, the white wire with black stripe. I also found that a common ohmage for resistors is 10 ohm and 6.8 ohm. So I put those in series and got my 17 ohms that way.

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Outback Red
1 Posts
This is an excellent idea. I have read your how to and I love it. I am currently having my 4EAT rebuilt at National Transmission in Calgary, I have already purchased the required resistors and spdt switch just waiting on them to arrive. The resistors that I purchased have heat sinks around them and I'm going to mount them on an aluminum sheet. It will look kind of like a computer case when I'm done. I will have pictures soon, I just wanted to know where your found the stock grounding points. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is an excellent idea. I have read your how to and I love it. I am currently having my 4EAT rebuilt at National Transmission in Calgary, I have already purchased the required resistors and spdt switch just waiting on them to arrive. The resistors that I purchased have heat sinks around them and I'm going to mount them on an aluminum sheet. It will look kind of like a computer case when I'm done. I will have pictures soon, I just wanted to know where your found the stock grounding points. Thanks again :)
There are some usable areas under the shifter/e-brake cover area. I just setup a hot lead and probed around with the multimeter. piece-o-cake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! writing through an interpreter, so do not laugh much)
I have been looking for info, but could not find anything on my problem. I Impreza 2006 with engine el154. and the wiring is different from the cars until 2006, so find out how to connect the diff lock not. found something similar, the file is attached. You may be able to help sort out? I suspect that did not have to break the chain, but need to apply voltage to the solenoid. or other resistance. :confused:
p.s.: if the wire is cut, the back is turned off, and power flashes. apply a voltage to it I'm afraid.
Park, N, Throttle Closed: ~2 volts
ANY GEAR (R,D,3,2,1), Throttle Closed: 5-7 volts
ANY GEAR (R,D,3,2,1), Throttle Fully Open: ~12 volts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just posting to say this:

I did this in the spring last year and only had brief opportunity to test it before this winter, which has been a dud prior to the past several weeks. Now that we have full ice/snow coverage on the roads I've had a chance to run this in an extended way and I'm still stoked!

I think the thermoelectric cooling unit and aluminum-housed resistors were a good call because the whole thing stays literally cool while I'm locked for hours. Stoked!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just installed my mod. Works greate! Also installed voltmeter as an indicator when "Diff Lock" in ON.

Finished:

Very useful when You have so much snow:

·
Registered
2001 Impreza Outback Sport
54 Posts
Just came across this thread. Will definitely be doing this soon. I did a search for "oem switch" in this thread hoping that someone has tried using an oem switch (like the cruise control switch) to achieve a more factory-like setup. I'm no electrical guy but I'm assuming since the cruise control switch is an on/off type, that it should work for this application. Only thing is that it would be complicated by the wiring for the indicator lamp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, got this done and it's SWEET!

Biggest surprise was on very slippery slush-over-ice at highway speeds. I think that tcm goes 90/10 at highway speed even when it's ice rink slick. 4lock really helped.

I used 2 aluminum-housed wirewound 50 watt 30 ohm resistors bolted to a peltier thermoelectric cooling unit. I like to overbuild stuff too.

I used a dpdt on-off-on switch and a 5 pin relay to produce a 3 position switch FWD-AWD-4WD

Here's a diagram of how I did mine.

Hate to bump a reply years later. So you're saying you did this on a 02? So I should go through and read all the replies to find specific info for the 02? I know the OP was for pre-02. I just picked up a 02 2.5TS with the 4EAT and I'd like to lock the AWD for rallycross.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do wanna add some details to this mod that can bee added or in other words used insted

Im about to do this mod my self but in a more logical way and much easier way

Sooo to defcon5 about your indecator light option. you can easily just slap an led inbetween the resistor pack and switch and mount the led whare ever u feel is right. A led wont change the value of the resistance.

Now i have figured out an easier way to do this without having to solder up a resistor pack and deal with that complication to those not soo electronicly inclined

Insted of the resistor back you just put an old duty c solenoid in place of that(easily obtainable from any junk yard). it may be a fuw bucks more then that resistor pack. but as long as u pull a duty c solenoid out of the same subaru as what you are working with you will be completly fine. all resistance values should match perfectly this way without any math or searvice manual book reading other then pin read outs

I em vary lucky to have my old solenoid from my old transmission and that how i have came up with this idea to use it and share it with those who dont really understand that resistor mumbo jumbo

Just follow the instructions from defcon5 and just use the solenoid in place of the resistors. And if you want add that led inbetween that and the switch to indicate when your in "50/50 lock"

Pros..
No heat dissipation worrys.
Easier to install.
No codes or limp mode as the tcu will read the old solenoid.

Cons..
A solenoid may not be availible to you easily..
May be more pricy to buy a used solenoid rather then buying resistors..

·
Banned
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,236 Posts
Hello! writing through an interpreter, so do not laugh much)
I have been looking for info, but could not find anything on my problem. I Impreza 2006 with engine el154. and the wiring is different from the cars until 2006, so find out how to connect the diff lock not. found something similar, the file is attached. You may be able to help sort out? I suspect that did not have to break the chain, but need to apply voltage to the solenoid. or other resistance. :confused:
p.s.: if the wire is cut, the back is turned off, and power flashes. apply a voltage to it I'm afraid.
Park, N, Throttle Closed: ~2 volts
ANY GEAR (R,D,3,2,1), Throttle Closed: 5-7 volts
ANY GEAR (R,D,3,2,1), Throttle Fully Open: ~12 volts
That information doesn't help with this mod. If your car has a FWD fuse you need to find in the manual what the specs on your duty c solenoid are and where the pins are. Last picture in this post I'm linking on this thread is what I'm talking about here.

https://www.rs25.com/forums/f8/3138447-post282.html

·
Registered
'02 Forester, '15 WRX, '69 360
7 Posts
Finally got around to doing this mod. Mush easier than I though it would be. Really got to test it out in the snow this past weekend. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes. It eliminates the torque transfer lag and the jolt on the clutch pack when it finally does transfer power to the back. Makes sliding around much easier.

Unfortunately, there really isn't anything we can do about the left to right torque transfer. Aside from the factory LSD (which I have) , I don't know of any other way to eliminate the left to right wheel slip, so we will always be limited by that.

·
Banned
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,236 Posts
left to right wheel slip? Like torque steer? Ideally you shouldn't have any as that's the one key feature of subaru's "asymmetrical" awd.

301 - 320 of 346 Posts