Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a bit of a musing thought the other day:
Picture a fairly base model Impreza, Forester, etc. with rear drum brakes, and only the front brakes were upgraded to 4 pots.
How would the car behave? Would it nose dive every time you'd brush on the brake pedal? :p

· Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
302 Posts
The car behaves normally/predictably, even under hard braking conditions. Remember, drum brakes were enough to stop the land-yachts in the 50s/60s, it's not like they're ineffective.

· Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
868 Posts
I believe the front brakes are responsible for the majority of the stopping power, which is why you rear pads usually have a longer lifetime. I had one 2pot and one single pot caliper on the front of the car once and it definitely dove in one direction under hard braking.

· Registered
24 Posts
That is my current setup. '01 OBS jdm 4 pot fronts, stock drums rear. And it honestly stops quicker and harder than my stock RS. Autocross and aggressive street driving, zero brake instability, even braking in turns.

The swap was easy too, just 06 pads and rotors, done.

· Registered
2000 2.5rs coupe, 02 wrx engine & 05 dash swap
1,654 Posts
Am I wrong in thinking that drums have more stopping power but are less consistent/more prone to heat soak then disc's? Thought I read that years ago, trucks have had rear drum brakes for the longest time

· Registered
2,158 Posts
Am I wrong in thinking that drums have more stopping power but are less consistent/more prone to heat soak then disc's? Thought I read that years ago, trucks have had rear drum brakes for the longest time
the only pro to drum is their cheapness of production, but they are just as effective at stopping in normal circumstances.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts