Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Impreza 2.5RS / 06 350Z
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I've finally been able to get around to making a journal, so here it goes.

My name is Jon and I have been a fan of Subaru for quite some time now. My first purchase was a 91' Legacy SS. That car was not only fun but a huge learning experience in the Subaru world. I owned that car for about 6 years and after many mods and trials it seemed my heart was always wanting a GC. Some time later I was finally able to purchase my 98 RS and had big plans with it ever since. Now the real fun (or headache :rolleyes:) begins. Enjoy.

Mod List

Engine / Drivetrain:
2.5L DOHC engine
Borla replica headers (ceramic coated)
Blitz Nur Spec catback exhaust
STI group N pitch stop mount
HKS radiator cap
Red top Optima battery

Suspension:
STI solid front strut bar
Cusco OST rear strut bar w/ V brace
V5 STI struts and springs (the pink ones :p)
Group N strut mounts
Cusco rear subframe brace
Cusco diff brace
Perrin rear endlinks

Exterior:
V5/6 front bumper
JDM fog light covers
JDM front lip
JDM V5/6 front grill w/ pink "i" badge
Subaru crystal clear headlights
Depo clear corners
Subaru clear turn signals
Fender clear side markers
Lightweight aluminum hood
Front lightweight bumper beam
Rear lightweight bumper beam
JDM rear bumper
JDM rear spats
V6 rear spoiler
JDM rear brake lights
15% tint all around
Hella red supertones
Subaru hood rock deflector

Interior:
V7 STI front seats
V7 STI rear seats
White face gauge face swap (off a 00' RS)
STI pedals
Cobb short shifter

Shoes:
Stock 5 spoke goldies on Bridgestone RE070 Sports

:projectsti.com:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First Time

Here is what she looked like when I first got it.

The engine was blown when I bought it so I got a real good deal on the car. I had the engine replaced soon after @ Garage Tuning. I put a new stock engine since this car would be my daily driver. I drive 100 miles a day so it would help with the gas situation.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First Mods

After getting the new engine installed and getting it on the road the first upgrade had to be the sloppy suspension.

I purchased some V5 STI struts from a members front clip for a good deal and noticed the difference right away. Plus the stance was great!

Here are some crappy cell phone pics of some installed;

Some minimal ride comfort was sacrificed since it's my daily but that's ok. The added stiffness for having fun once in a while is worth it. :burnout:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exhaust

Next mod had to be the exhaust so I chucked that big piece of metal and put in a custom made exhaust I got off a member here. It sounded nice and had barely any drone while driving, but it had a huge flaw...

The hangers were quite off and installation was quite difficult. It fit, but hung weird and ended up melting a bottom part of my bumper and some of the rear spat... no bueno. So, I removed it and got a nice exhaust. I purchased a Blitz Nur Spec from a member on here and it was money well spent.

The fitment was perfect and the sound is awesome. I also added a set of Borla replica headers that I ceramic coated which added to the awesome sound.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interior

Here's some pics of my interior. The STI seats are a bit tall but that's ok :). Only issue I have with them is the seat belt on the passenger side is kind of a bitch to get in. It's probably because I am using the original seat belts that came with the car. I'll have to do some research to see if the belt receiver from an STI will work...

Here is a pretty crappy pic of my gauge face plate change I did. I was lucky enough to stumble across a 00 RS in the junkyard and grabbed all the little miscellaneous pieces I needed to replace like clips, vents, weather stripping, etc... I also liked the way the white face gauges looked and thought I could just swap the faces for an updated look from the stock black ones.

It wasn't too hard besides having to re-position all the needles back to their original position.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Clean!

I've got the same problem with my passenger seat belt on my STi seats as well lol. If you find a solution let me know!

JT
Thanks!! I am on the trail of someone parting out STI interior so I will go and see if the receiver will work with the stock belts. I am assuming the one off the STI is a bit longer so it'll be easier to put the seat belt in.... I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that it works.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Random Mods

Here are some more pics of other mods I did...

I installed the group N pitch stop mount. It was a lot easier to install than I imagined it to be. Just moved that bulky air box outta the way and 2 bolts later it was done. Haven't noticed that much difference but I have yet to drive the car hard to find out.

I also installed some Perrin end links I purchased from a member on here. Got a great deal and the install was also as painless as the pitch stop mount. Now I need to get a bigger sway bar.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Paint Time ^_^

As you can see in the pic from when I got the car most of the pieces were black / black factory primer. I never had enough money to go get her painted so every wash I would sigh at how the primer was washing off and the other pieces were getting demolished by out lovely freeways. I just wanted to be one color...

But during the holidays my family and close friends got together and gathered enough money to have my pieces painted. I was ecstatic and couldn't wait to take off all the pieces. During the removal i noticed that the previous owner had used a weird selection of body clips and bolts to hold all the pieces down which made it difficult in some areas to remove pieces. It took a while as I didn't want to tear or crack pieces but we got it done eventually. After the removal I went down to the local dealership to purchase the correct body panels and $50 later (yeah, that's how many were missing) knew that the install once the pieces were done was going to be a breeze.

Here's a couple of pics of the removal;

After a couple of weeks I got all my pieces back and had the task to put them back on myself but my brother in law came down and helped me all night and we got it done. I am planning a photo shoot so I will get some really good pics up soon.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Cusco stuff...

Here's some pics of the Cusco items I have in my car...

I think we got the V-brace to look seamless on the carpet...

special thanks to The Last Samurai for all the help :banana:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.