Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try the scotty's cocktail tonight but i'm wondering long term what the fix is. I can only imagine what the dealer would charge for a new transmission ($4k?). Is there a way to crack it open and just replace the syncro's or the bad gears? I've rebuilt engines before but never a trans.

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Outback Sport
7 Posts
did you ever get an answer? I'm going through the same problem: a MAJOR grind when shifting into second. I'm trying to gauge how difficult it's going to be to replace the synchro's myself. Any advice?

·
Banned
03 Legacy GT wagon
6,471 Posts
well, first off, you should have started your own thread.

you cannot replace anything on the transmission main shafts (gear shafts) without special tools, shop press, etc., since you have to separate the shafts 1 piece at a time to get down to what parts need to be replaced.

this all assuming you can get the transmission out of the car and split apart, which requires some knowledge and experience. i have done it, and i dont recommend it for the inexperienced driveway mechanic.

the easiest and cheapest way out of your issue is probably to ignore it until it REALLY breaks and then swap out for a used transmission

·
Registered
2005 Baja Turbo
1,448 Posts
I'm going to try the scotty's cocktail tonight but i'm wondering long term what the fix is. I can only imagine what the dealer would charge for a new transmission ($4k?). Is there a way to crack it open and just replace the syncro's or the bad gears? I've rebuilt engines before but never a trans.
Yeah, there's a way. It requires a $1200 torque wrench, and you'll probably have to buy or make a $2,000 holding fixture. Why? Because one of the nuts on the end of the output shaft I believe is torqued to 450 ft-lbs of torque. It's a 36mm nut. Most impact guns won't even put that much force out, so you'll need a special socket and a good multi-foot breaker bar.

Or you could have a dealership do it for you, which is kind of a bargain. And yeah, you gotta pull the nut off to get the gears off to get the syncros out to put new ones in. It's easier to just get a new used good condition tranny, or if you're gonna tear it down, put new gears in while you're in there.

·
Banned
03 Legacy GT wagon
6,471 Posts
for experienced users, usually the process is take the tranny out, split the case, pull out the mainshaft, buy the new parts that you need (from the dealer), and then take the mainshaft to a shop and have them replace the bad parts. then, install in reverse order

for inexperienced users, the solution is take the car to a shop and pay them lots of money

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
Extra-S gear oil
If that does not work get a good low mile used tranny as a stock rebuild does not really make much sense...

·
Registered
7 Posts
well I have no experience working on the transmission so that's out of the question. Would it be cheaper to replace my old transmission with a good used one? Or would I be better off getting the transmission fixed?

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
Try the Subaru Extra-S gear oil as it really does improve shifting better than any of the redline shockproof cocktails & 75-90ns - it may stop your grinding.

If it does not I'd just get a good used tranny from the newest model year car you can find with your final drive gear ratio & a speed sensor input.

·
Banned
03 Legacy GT wagon
6,471 Posts
Subaru 75W90 Extra-S Gear & Transmission Fluid

is this a good place to get the Extra-S or can I get it somewhere cheaper?

Also, it says that a 5 Speed transmissions takes 3.5 quarts. Is this true for a 1997 Impreza Outback Sport?
is it a 5-speed?

you cant buy the fluid in quarts anywhere else that i am aware of. subaru doesnt sell it in quarts. they sell it in barrels and that seller is dividing it up and reselling it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes it's a 5 speed. I have figured out which package I need.

One question: I am going to get this Extra-S plus a SynchroMagic Coctail that's supposed to fix grinds. If the grind isn't fixed and I have to rebuild the transmission, can I flush out the Extra-S oil, save it and reuse it after the transmission has been rebuilt?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts