Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
373whp/351ft-lbs @ 5250 rpms , 18psi!

O.K before everyone jumps on me , I actually consider 373 whp a very bad example of what the car is capable of for many reasons :
Horribly slipping clutch at anything over 16 psi (don't know how much power it lost due to this) , car was running extremely rich , not sure how rich but wideband gave out at 10:1 . I was probably running richer than that during the run. Go here to see how rich it was :

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/zaidounh/vwp?.dir=/My+Photos&.src=ph&.dnm=0001.jpg&.view=t&.done=http

Reason why my plugs and wideband were going bad becaue I had 4 gallons of C-16 mixed in with 7 gallons of pump gas which proved to give less performance than when running pump gas on that boost level and the race gas caused the car to run extremely rich and shoots long flames . Obviously I should've tuned the car on that gas mixture before I went to the dyno. I know the real number at 18 psi should've been around 400 WHP if the car was properly tuned for that gas mixture or maybe even running straight pump gas.
In other words race gas in this case actually made my performance worst.
I'll post the graph later but it looks like I have a lot of lag but that's a bit decieving. I had to let boost come on really slowly till 5500 rpms to prevent the clutch from slipping.
Coming soon : +23 psi after a new clutch.

All in all i'm not that impressed with the dyno , all that I need is a new clutch and spend more time on the haltech and you should see numbers in the 400's at around 19-20 psi.

Wayne at CTC motorsports in dallas did a great job tuning and building this car and I wish if I had a little better numbers to show for it , oh well soon enough..............

zaidoun

·
Registered
852 Posts
Zai, not bad my friend!

I wouldn't be to upset, those are VERY respectable numbers, especially for such a rich condition (VERY noticable with the carbon buildup on the rear bumper). This is definetly one of the highest posted numbers of any 2.5 in the US, there is nothing to be unimpressed about. I can't wait until you get it tuned more, and turn up the boost. Geez, I this is just insipiration to build my block.

Did you and Wayne go to FIS for the dyno? I don't know where else you would go. Any tuning take place while you were there, or solely numbers put down?

I'll be in Europe till the beginning of the year, but I want to talk to you more about this when I get back.

Once again, I'm very impressed. Get a stronger clutch in there (I know AP Racing makes a Groupe N version for our cars, contact kastle on i-club, he's running one).

Graham

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Graham : Yeah seeya when you come back. Only I went to FIS , and no tuning was made on the dyno. As a matter of fact no tuning was since last saturday. I found out the car was running rich last saturyday because of a big boost leak I had which I fixed now. So I thought everything should be fine yesterday with race gas but I guess not. I really didn't have time to tune since my wideband doesn't work anymore , I'm getting another one.........
generally when you put race gas in , you have to give it atleast 5 deg. of timing and/or take atleast 10% off of the fuel across the board . I didn't do either:rolleyes:
I think I'll dyno again soon on 23-24 psi using the same clutch and manipulate the avc-r some more to make the 23 psi come on at 6000 rpms and probably make the pull to 7500 rpms , that way the clutch shouldn't slip . It tends to slip when you have +18 psi at anything below 5000 rpms .

zaidoun

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
:eek: Damn, those are numbers I cannot even imagine on my daily driver. Props to you, Zaidallas. Careful on the tranny once you put the new clutch in.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
latest setup differes from before only slightly. I basically went from 8 injectors to 4 550 injectors with custom fuel rails. Still using the 60-1 hi-fi turbo and 4-1 headers.
zaidoun

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well, I'm back. Europe was fun.

With the extra boost and race gas (with correct fuel settings) I don't doubt you'll see MUCH more HP than what you have now.

So, you want to take it 7500 RPM? I'll be sure to be there for that. I just bought my Link, and if you are intersted in doing a a few dyno runs with me Zaidoun, let me know, as I will be turning up the boost as well. I think Jason at FIS would be cool with it.

Graham

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hehe that was a short trip ! what day are you dynoying ? I'll go there with you if I get a chance.
zaidoun

·
Registered
852 Posts
It was too short, but still fun.

I don't have a set date for a dyno, but if you want to turn it up to 23+ psi, along with my new setup and boost pressure, maybe we could split the cost of a session???

Graham

·
Registered
5 Posts
YO DUDE HAVE YOU EVER TRIED VP FUELS MR-1 OXYGENATED RACE FUEL? IT RAISED HORSPOWER BY A TOTAL OF TWO ON MY SINGLE CYCLINDER RACE BIKE (WHICH ONLY PUTS OUT A WHOPPING 70 WITHOUT MR-1). I HAVE USED JUST ABOUT EVERY RACE FUEL AND THIS ONE IS THE HORSEPOWER TICKET IT'S EVEN BETTER THAN NU-TECH WHICH WAS GOOD FOR ABOUT 1.25 HP. I HAVE NOT TRIED IT IN THE CAR BECAUSE I HAVE A CAT. AND I DON'T WANT TO MELT IT DOWN. CHECK IT OUT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
YOUR LOCAL VP FUEL DISTRIBUTOR IF YOU CAN'T FIND IT TELL ME AND I WILL HOOK YOU UP WITH A #. I DID FORGET TO MENTION THAT THE STUFF IS FIFTEEN BUCKS A GALLON BUT IF YOU WANT GOOD DYNO RUNS IT IS WORTH EVERY PENNY.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts