Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally there. Hopefully I can get in sometime this weekend for my 30k mile tuneup. I checked out my.subaru.com for a list of things that need to be checked out. It said spark plugs, I'm wondering if that is really necessary.

What all did you guys have done, and what do you recommend? Just give me any and all input.

Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had done most of it myself , only thing i needed was a coolant flush. I have a list of all that they do, alot of just inspect this check that stuff.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
you can check your manual, it has a list of everything. its all easy. as for plugs, i replaced them with the NGKs from the dealer. also got the fuel filter from them. then, ATE brake fluid, EBC red brake pads (ok, these wern't required strictly speaking), coolant from autozone, oil, filter, redline for the gears. i think that's it.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
Same here, did it all myself. I looked at both the normal and severe schedules and also checked/added anything to the list for my peace of mind.

[An alignment is the only thing I have someone else do]

Also, so as not to burnout I did a little each weekend, took about 6 weeks to complete.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
I did it all myself also 25000 miles ago. Just make sure you remember to change all the fluids; (Brake fluid, clutch fluid, coolant (only use Subaru coolant), transmission fluid, and rear diff fluid). Subaru coolant has a special additive in their coolant so there is no chance for it to rust certain parts.

http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/general/FtScheduledMaintenanceW99.pdf (It's on page 2; under "Engine cooling system and engine coolant" - 2nd paragraph)

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
I need more proof on that coolant stuff....if it will put you at ease using only Subaru coolant that's fine, but just remember there is no need to.

There is no special metal or alloys in a Subaru's cooling system that requires a Subaru specific coolant. Any quality brand (silicate free) coolant that is certified for use in aluminum engines is formulated with sufficient rust and corrosion inhibitors for all brand cars, just change the coolant at the intervals specified.

The only concern I have is if they have sufficient lubricants for the water pump since most brands don't mention anything about it.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
From my personal experience, I once flushed my radiator with Prestone antifreeze. I checked my coolant 2 weeks later, and what I found under the radiator cap was some rusty colored bits floating on the top. I freiked out and took it to the dealership. Since then, there has not been a trace of any rust colored bits since. Prestone is a well known brand name in the coolant business that says their coolant contains anti-corrosive ingredients that will not cause rust. I guess Subaru engines are the exception... sometimes it's just right to get Subaru's genuine shit. :p :run:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts