Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
95 **** Piece
6,822 Posts
Cool. Hopefully this works out a little better for me this time around. If I bust up another sensor I'm just going to buy the resistor or whatever it is that makes the ecu not angry and sort out how fast I'm going later. :lol:

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
there is such a thing? it would have to be a variable rate resistor that worked in square wave.

could see if rob would omit the vss out of a chip?

·
Registered
95 **** Piece
6,822 Posts
there is such a thing? it would have to be a variable rate resistor that worked in square wave.

could see if rob would omit the vss out of a chip?
They use them in the VW subaru swap world.
you sure it's not the cluster that's pinned incorrectly?
Fairly sure, I spent a good bit of time wiring in the cluster to make sure I did it right or can at least trace my steps easily. I wired in the signal wire for the vss and left it hang. I was hurrying and in like 15 degree weather when I wired in the power/ground for the vss. I reversed the signal wire and power wires on accident and something didn't like it. Both a new cluster and VSS should be here tomorrow, and I know for sure I have the plug wired right now....so hopfully I will be able to drive my car again.

·
Registered
99 rs RBP wrx 5mt swap
408 Posts
isn't power suppost to be off the #18 fuse? i am running way rich right now too need to get this solved to get my ecu done up then get a tune so it runs right

·
Registered
95 **** Piece
6,822 Posts
It's hard to tell, but this is a picture of my speedometer working. :banana: Good thing I toasted the first 2 sensors being a ruhtard.

·
Registered
2000 AW RSTi sedan
180 Posts
Just stumbled across this thread and was wondering what are the specifics of your swap just so I know what to avoid/watch out for.

Just fyi, my car's a 00 RS, motor is an EJ20K, V3 trans (cable speedo), V4 cluster. Well soon to be, still working out the details of the swap before I put my car under the knife.

Can the V3 ECU recognize the output from the VSS?

·
Registered
95 **** Piece
6,822 Posts
As far as I know/can tell, all subaru VSS's work in all subaru trans, at least manual. They also all use the same pulse for the signal reading, so the ecu should be fine with it. again...afaik. Just make sure you don't get the wires mixed up or you will eff the sensor. The only real "issue" I had (aside from being dumb with colors) was that I needed to trim the bottom ring off the vss for it to go down into the trans far enough to read.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BR is ground

GB is ignition

GY goes to cluster

This is how I hooked mine up.

pin 2 (middle one) is ground pin 1 goes to ecu pin 3 goes to 12v ignition
I hooked mine up this way in my 2000 outback sport 2.2 and it worked. I have to keep the tcm plugged in for it to work though. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1999 RSTi
180 Posts
Handwriting Rectangle Font Material property Writing

this is how I got the vss working in a buddies old sf forester hope this helps out someone

21 - 33 of 33 Posts