Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

101 - 120 of 744 Posts

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Small bump because I'm still trying to find the correct part numbers for the fuel injector seals/orings. They are the same parts as for 98 2.5rs injector seal/orings but I can't find those anywhere. I will stop by a dealer next time I'm in Tx but if someone else has ordered them before I'd appreciate the help with part numbers. I've heard the 90-94 nissan 300zx tt injectors are the same, but I'm not sure the seal kit is. Anyone know?

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Well the injectors will have to wait I guess. I'm about to bolt the block together. I'm thinking of using nevr-seize on the main block bolts and the head bolts. Any opinions on using it? I'm wondering if the bolts will torque properly and stay torqued...

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
Got the shortblock assembled today, here are a few pics:

old and new rod bearing

a little assembly lube

all the rods and crank sitting happily in the block

good piston clearance, all lubed and re attached

the block together

I was careful to use permatex grey to seal the block and kept the grease and permatex away from eachother. I found the permatex grey to be more resilient than the fujibond, and I don't want to be tearing the block apart for any leaks. Try this for yourself: 1- squeeze two globs on to a piece of cardboard, one permatex grey and one fujibond. 2 - allow to dry overnight 3- try and rip the two with your fingernail... the permatex will be difficult and the fujibond will be easier to rip.
I also got the water pump on and I cleaned the oil pump out tonight so it will be going on in the next couple of days. WOW its so heavy already

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Did you go with a new oil pump or reuse the old one?
Reused. I opened it and cleaned everything out. The regulator piston had minor wear and it had two shims. Clearances were tight and its the 10mm pump. It will do the job nicely

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
please tell me youre not going to run the car on only 93 and meth.
meth doesnt add octane, and the ecu is meant to run on 95/96 equivalent octane..

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
You need to check your facts. 93+ Meth will be just fine.
this whole board states that the 20k uses 98ron in japan, which a reputable poster said it was the equivalent to 95/96 octane.
Methanol injection ONLY lowers intake temperature, it doesnt add octane.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
Still haven't checked, have you? Try again

Or should I say, haven't checked enough...

I currently run a jdm legacy 2.5 on a jdm legacy ecu. It seems to work pretty well on US 87 octane. Obviously the turbo engines need higher octane fuel though

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
One of the main things i think people are doing to destroy these JDM engines is you all are running stock ECU's without getting them tuned for USA gas. That is about the most ignorant thing you could possibly do. You cannot rely on the stock ECU to pull timing all the time to keep the engine alive. Granted 98 ron may be similar to 93 octane here in the states, but its not EXACTLY the same. You can ask anyone who has tuned on both of the gases that its not the same. I personally believe you all are getting a ton of detonation on these engines and that is what is beating the rod bearings out. Now, the thin 5w30 or 10w30 oil your using might be amplifying the application, but i believe the tune is the number 1 cause of the problem.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #112 (Edited)
That's nice that you found one related quote of a respected member's opinion. The older ecu's can't be tuned, you need to use piggyback or go standalone. Maybe you haven't read all of the other posts of every other model ej20 spinning bearings. (oh yeah, the newer ej25's do as well) Also realize the smaller percentage of k engines vs other year models swapped. Then adjust for the people who don't prep the engines properly. Next factor in abusive behaviors exibited by some guys who trash their cars. By the way there are some on this board who are running k's currently... on US pump fuel. Find them and ask what magical ingredient they added to keep the engine alive.

In my situation:

-running meth and yes it will help keep detonation away, the failsafe output will also be tied in to drop to wastegate boost if something should malfunction
-completely resealing the engine and replacing all decrepid external components, no air leaks for me
-running 93 octane, of course
-not dragging or doing awd donuts in my car
-not running excessive boost in an attempt to get mad powa like some
-using emanage
-using detonation, a/f, boost, and oil pressure gauges

Also, you might want to tell these guys http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82999 the engine set they are selling is doomed to explode.

(This is all assuming I get the chance to actually drop the engine in any time soon since I'm currently home hunting, lol)

·
Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
2,610 Posts
this whole board states that the 20k uses 98ron in japan, which a reputable poster said it was the equivalent to 95/96 octane.
Methanol injection ONLY lowers intake temperature, it doesnt add octane.

are u sure about that?

maybe i read what i read wrong but i thought it did..then i guess perhaps water/meth/alcohol adds octane??

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #118

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
What don't you understand about the simple math? Let's say, based on the link you sent, methanol has an octane rating of 101 (RON+MON)/2 and the meth injection nozzle delivers 20% of your total fuel.

If 80% of the fuel is 93 octane gasoline and 20% is 101 octane methanol then: ( .8*93+.2*101)=94.6 octane.

If 10% of your delivered fuel is meth effective octane rating = 93.8

Methanol DOES increase your effective octane rating. It's simple science.

Whether or not it's the most effective way to combat detonation is another story.

Back on topic...

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I was trying to say that meth and 93 wont add up to the 98 ron, unless you are using huge amounts of meth.

101 - 120 of 744 Posts