Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 744 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Cool build! Might be fun to do a swap myself, I just really don't have the garage space, the tools........

....Or the spare car. :lol:

·
Registered
Self swapped Woods beast
637 Posts
Your tear down pics are bringing me back to when I did the same to my 20k. It's been a great engine to me.

·
Registered
Family 4door
958 Posts
Sweet engine set! I might switch up my 20g to the same 20k (wrx vf22 right?). Hopefully you have better results than some. Subscribed.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Got bored tonight and labeled the ecu pins with colors. The boost sensor was in one of the diagrams, but not on these two pinout pages.. I wonder why? Either way I plan on double checking all pins from ecu harness to each sensor and device. Some pics:

colors labeled to the right on each page

seperating harnesses while checking continuity from ecu to sensors, etc. You can see I taped them in three groups where I cut them from the main harness and on the ecu side, just in case I need to double check. The only wires that were the same color within one harness bundle were light greens and I put a piece of tape on the ecu harness and main harness to tell them apart.

bye bye stupid little ground jumper, these are all connected together in the white plug, so it will be eliminated. Those wires are just the power and shield grounds for the sensors

these gray cables are the shielded ones for the sensors, I won't need them because my L harness already supplies them. The only other shielded cable I will need to add is for the boost sensor.. piece of cake, it has plenty of slack

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Piece of cake wiring

Assuming the injector plugs are the same type, I should only be wiring in the:
-maf sensor plug
-boost control solenoid and map sensor plate and ignitor
-tps and iac plugs

Everything else the ej20k needs is already in my L engine harness, so I will just be fishing the boost control plate wires (has map sensor and ignitor all together) through the grommet where my L engine harness already comes through the firewall. When this is done, I will be able to drop an n/a engine in if the 20k block ever has problems. (or I could just bolt the 20k heads onto a 1.8 block and keep on boosting, haha.)

Other than that I have to order a lhd throttle cable that will reach, change engine gaskets and check/adjust valve specs. I will also be buying a generic downpipe and mate it to my current setup. Oops, almost forgot I'll be getting another clutch.

·
Registered
2006 WRX
611 Posts
Interesting route you took there -- rewiring the entire car just to keep the harness in there.

One word of advice: Cut those wires to different lengths so when you go to merge the two harnesses, you don't have a huge bulge in your harness (due to shrink wrap and such)

I found an excellent resource for the ej20k swaps, PM me.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Almost finished splitting the block. Forgot to buy an allen to fit the piston pin access screws. I labeled several ziploc bags and put the different screws and small parts in them. I also took pictures to be able to identify where all of the small parts will go. I'm just going to pressure wash the heads myself and take the block to get hot tanked and the crank to get polished. Here are a few pics:
clean pickup

heads came off easily and no gasket residue :)

Still has good crosshatching

Just a couple more days for me to find the tool to access the piston pins and the block will be off to be cleaned :) I'm going to wait and order the bearings until after I'm able to measure the journals, but I believe they are 48mm.

(don't laugh at my cheapo sockets)

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Got a 14mm hex and finally split the block today. Its in my trunk ready to go to the shop. :) Everything looked nice, no spun bearings and it came apart pretty easily. I used a piece of 8 gauge power wire with a knot on one end to pull the wrist pins after taking out the outer circlips.

half of the block with the crank chilling inside

the crankshaft, its going to get polished (I took the rods off)

identification for the crankshaft, for posterity:

and last but not least the ultra kewl oil cooler

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Ok, the only plugs that don't match my stock L harness are the tps, mass airflow sensor and iac. The others are all the same so plug and play except for those three and the boost control/ignitor plate wiring which will go directly through the stock firewall grommet with the other engine harness. For some reason there is a ton of slack in the engine harness so that will help when I relocate the two engine harness plugs closer to the middle of the engine to clear the turbo inlet.
-The boost controller plate actually bolts right onto the passenger shock tower. I will have to figure out somewhere to mount my cruise control motor, its kind of bulky, but there's no rush for that, it can wait. I will also have to bend the heck out of the a/c lines unless I can get a local shop to fabricate a couple of short extensions for the high and low pressure lines. This way they can run close to the firewall. I should be able to do the power steering fab myself, but since its currently disconnected anyways, no rush on that either.
-So basically picture the same L harness with three extra plugs grafted into the original tps, iac, and maf harnesses. Then one more harness coming into the engine bay through the original grommet. After that, I will tie the three ecu harness into my original ecu harness (like I've previously done) and that will be it for the wiring. Everything will be done near the end of the harness so none of the dash gauges will be affected.

-Tomorrow I will wire in the tps, maf, iac, and mount the boost control plate and run its wiring into the car, that should take all of 30 minutes if not less. Then, if I'm feeling feisty I may even wire in one or more of the turbo ecu plugs, depends on the weather. :)

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Ok, despite helping my friend work on his kawi all day and the hurricane force winds I managed to get the boost plate mounted and the wires halfway ran, and soldered in the extra maf plug. I think I'm going to solder the tps and iac plugs on the day I swap the engines. The harness doesn't have much slack and I don't feel like removing the manifold for just those two plugs. Just a few pics:

necessary tools, some prefer heatshrink to tape

the plugs and boost solenoid stuff

L maf sensor harness with 20k maf wires soldered in

now with one extra maf plug

boost solenoid/ignitor assembly mounted, they are now taped to keep little bugs from making homes in the tubes

resistor that was where the boost assembly is, temporary mounted

·
2 > 1
96 GM8 & 93 GF2
827 Posts
AH I wish I could see these pics. Screw school. Sounds like everythings going well with the swap. Maybe soon rs25 will have its own ej20k crew.:clap:

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
picked up some stuff at the shop

Here are the block and crank, ready to be assembled, now I just have to clean my pistons up a little and I'm still waiting on the headgaskets and bearings. :)

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Decided to clean some of the extra casting to help oil flow back to the pan a little.

before

after

before

after

Now I'm going to go pressure wash the block, there is still silicone here and there and some carbon the shop missed. I also noticed this little nick (that wasn't there before the shop hot tanked it) but I'm not going back and fussing over it, I can dress it myself and it will be fine.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
cool looks great, what bearings did you end up going with?

ACL oem replacement. In fact here they are along with the new wrx pump :)

here's one piston cleaned up

the poor turbo full of oil from the pcv system

then after about 15 minutes of cleaning with degreaser and soft brushes

heres the compressor turbine all cleaned up

·
Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
2,610 Posts
i nicked the top of the cylinder surface on my ej18 block..take some jb weld and fill it in then sand it off. works great and you cant even tell its there!

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
i nicked the top of the cylinder surface on my ej18 block..take some jb weld and fill it in then sand it off. works great and you cant even tell its there!
You know I was actually thinking of doing that too, lol. When the headgaskets come in I'm going to check and see where the bead sits. If its close, I might do it.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Well, my headgaskets came in today and... they're the wrong thickness. :_sure: So I email the seller to try and get the ones I paid for (..51"/1.3mm) and they email me back double checking that I got the wrong ones. I then notice another set for sale that is .054" which is 1.37mm, exactly the size I need. I am trying to negotiate now to try and get the ones from the other seller unless my seller can get them. Otherwise I'm hoping he can refund mine since it took almost three weeks to get them, and they didn't send the ones I paid for. (crosses fingers hoping the seller will be reasonable)

Update: the original seller agreed to give me a refund and I bought the 1.37mm version. They should be here within a week. Now I just have to doublecheck all of the torque specs and I will be ready to put it back together. :)

·
Registered
98 RS ver4 sti & CW MK6 GTI
119 Posts
Not to throw your thread way off topic but im rebuilding my 20K right now and I need the torque specs for the motor. Where did you source yours? Wanna share??

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Not to throw your thread way off topic but im rebuilding my 20K right now and I need the torque specs for the motor. Where did you source yours? Wanna share??
Emailed you. Thanks also for the help on the other info.

I'm trying to decide on a clutch and this one seems to have more than adequate capacity. Does anyone know if it will work correctly with my 96l transmission? I know the transmission may give out but I just want the clutch to bolt in correctly with the 20k and transmission. I have a cable clutch system. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-RACING-STAGE-2-CLUTCH-KIT-02-05-SUBARU-WRX-2-0L_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ33730QQihZ005QQitemZ150165230079QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
Says its for "02-05" wrx, but arent they the same basic design from 94-05? Thanks

21 - 40 of 744 Posts