Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1081 - 1100 of 1211 Posts

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
That Junior must travel a lot. They got him over by me now monthly at 6 Star Performance doing so tuning. I wouldnt mind him taking a look at my timing table. Mostly in the cruise sections. I always feel like theres a lot of area for improvement int hat area

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,084
So.. looks like engine is coming out.
I've popped the cam covers to check the cams and there is some scoring.
I dont know if it was there since the cams are re-used or if this is new.

Left intake.

Right intake.

Opinions ?

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
just looks weird to me because the scoring is on the backside of rotation. If theres no marks on lifters, i'd suspect weld quality on the regrinds

edit: nevermind on the weld quality. those look fully cast after second look, suspect cast quality

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,591 Posts
What's the tubing size on your cage? I'm impressed with the weight number...Making me think I could get away with 1.5" x 0.095" if I can get it all under 2700 lbs.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,087
Man.. I didnt even consider that.
You are right.. the scoring is on the "trailing" edge on both cams.

That makes it even more weird.
Cams are cast.

just looks weird to me because the scoring is on the backside of rotation. If theres no marks on lifters, i'd suspect weld quality on the regrinds

edit: nevermind on the weld quality. those look fully cast after second look, suspect cast quality

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,090
Tonight.. we begin with few studs.
As you can see 2 are already in action.

After some shaving... and 2 screws...

First one is in !!!

We had to use the back door.

And all are in. Now dont be getting any dirty ideas.
These are for the spacers.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
16,991 Posts
I cant see any of the photos? Did Junior set you straight with the tune issues? Im not a big fan of him or Prime for that matter, but the tuning side of our hobby gets under my skin easily. Were the cams bad or no?

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
I cant see any of the photos? Did Junior set you straight with the tune issues? Im not a big fan of him or Prime for that matter, but the tuning side of our hobby gets under my skin easily. Were the cams bad or no?
why you no like Junior. I thought he does a pretty decent job of squeezing safe power out. Not familiar with the driveability portion though where it takes actual time to tune

Whats going on with those James Bond axle stubs. Usually the nut dimples into the relief cut on the end

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,094
Well.. for Junior.. I still havent heard anything... I've pinged the shop where I got tuned and still waiting for a response..

As for Jr tuning.. Sloppy job not checking everything in the map...
I dont think he is that familiar with Vipec/Link ecu..

I did like the fact that he sent 2 cars home before even doing a pull..
Noticed a knock which ended up being a spun bearing about to happen.

Now cam wise.. I went ahead and got a new set. Same GSC S2 but billet part. Better safe than sorry. Considering that this will see plenty of track use.

I must say I didnt know about the cam break in procedure with high zinc oil requirement and keeping the 2k rpm or so for 20min.
So maybe the wear is due to my fault ?

On another note.. my cam wrenches just came in I am debating if I can pull the cam change without pulling the engine out...

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,095
Since wheel buying is on hold until I can find the wheels I like with the proper offset, I've decided to run the spacers. Instead of doing the double bolt thing, opted for the 3" studs.

My lugs are 2 piece open end style..

why you no like Junior. I thought he does a pretty decent job of squeezing safe power out. Not familiar with the driveability portion though where it takes actual time to tune

Whats going on with those James Bond axle stubs. Usually the nut dimples into the relief cut on the end

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
What's the tubing size on your cage? I'm impressed with the weight number...Making me think I could get away with 1.5" x 0.095" if I can get it all under 2700 lbs.
If your road racing 1.5 will not pass tech. 1.75 .120 wall is what you need. No chrom moly

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,591 Posts
If your road racing 1.5 will not pass tech. 1.75 .120 wall is what you need. No chrom moly
Not to derail Rem's thread but...every rule set for road / track / time-attack racing that I've read specs a 1.5" x 0.120" tube for car's weighing 2700lbs. SCCA General competition rules, Global Time Attack, Redline Time attack, Gridlife, SpeedRing...1.5" x 0.120" OR 1.75" x 0.095" are accepted.

1081 - 1100 of 1211 Posts