Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've been looking into getting a 22B kit for my RS since I bought it basically. I did the body last summer but I can see the cancer coming out in the rear wheel wells slowly, there was alot there. (I live way up north where the salt on the roads is there 8 months of the year). I think in a few years the car could be in a state too far gone to spend the time on. The 22B kits look SICK. I've seen the HTAUTOS website and Aeroism kits online. I've also seen the ebay ones. I've read the Aeroism kits are great but arent made anymore. Is that true? Has anyone had any experience with the Ebay fenders and Quarters? I was looking at them cause I can buy them piece by piece instead of dropping ???$2500??? all at once? BTW my impreza is White.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f138/t163463-my-400-99-impreza-transformation.html

·
RUSSIAN FOR HIRE
2000 Impreza RST
2,425 Posts
you can also buy front and rear seperate from the same seller for 355 front and 375 rear if thats what your interested in. again though idk how cheap or ghetto these products are. just doing a search on ebay for what your talking about because im working graveyard shift at work and have nothing better to do lol

·
Where are my keys?
98 OBS, 04 XTI
1,571 Posts
I would recommend against body kits that are made of any cheap product (ie fiberglass)

There are a few members that have done a 22b build using a steel body. do some searching im sure you willl find it

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1993-2001 Subaru Imperza B22 Style FRP Front Fender + Rear Quarter Panel Kit | eBay
this is the ebay front and rear fenders I found. The car and the craftsmanship on the model is horrible, screwed on? really? but I believe most of the guys who have done a 22b kit used fiberglass

Great white for instance, great looking car used a Aeroism fiberglass kit. Im NOT going to shell out $4500 for a CF kit that I would paint anyway. http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/126185-great-white-firewarrior-4.html
I havent found one car done with steel, besides rust is why I want to do this, fiberglass doesnt rust and its easy to work with.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you can also buy front and rear seperate from the same seller for 355 front and 375 rear if thats what your interested in. again though idk how cheap or ghetto these products are. just doing a search on ebay for what your talking about because im working graveyard shift at work and have nothing better to do lol
Wow your job kinda sounds like mine!!

·
RUSSIAN FOR HIRE
2000 Impreza RST
2,425 Posts
you can screw it on then bondo it up before painting it i think if your a good body worker you can make it look good. but fiberglass cracks easily. but i dont see you hitting your fenders or quarters to much so shouldnt affect you to much.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can screw it on then bondo it up before painting it i think if your a good body worker you can make it look good. but fiberglass cracks easily. but i dont see you hitting your fenders or quarters to much so shouldnt affect you to much.

I did a decent job with my car this summer I have gotten alot of compliments from random people on it. Mostly just wondering if anyone can give a review of the various kits.

Model cars are the same way, for a good modeler its easier to make a shitty kit look great than for a noob modeler to make a great kit look even look like the real car. Its all in the prep

·
RUSSIAN FOR HIRE
2000 Impreza RST
2,425 Posts
i hear ya. let the world know if you get the kit! i for one would love to hear about it. i would want the 22b wagon kit but dont have 2 grand laying around unused lol. ok now lets hear some reviews people.

·
Loves Gravel
2001 STM 2.5RS Sedan
389 Posts
The eBay one is made by AIT (www.aitracing.com). The front fenders fit good, the drivers side body line to the door is sunk just a bit causing contact. All you do is take a piece of metal (I used an old license plate) and pull the fender out to match the lines, few self tapping screws to secure the bracket and done. You'll need to drill out the mounting points, but use the OEM fender as a guide. For the rear, I shaved the 1/4 lip so the panel sat flush. Use self tappers or rivets and done. Body filler around the edges if you want it seamless. I was very happy with it. Its wide though. For reference, WRX wheels are sunk.

Ill see if I can find some shots of my old coupe...pretty sure they're on my facespace.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The eBay one is made by AIT (www.aitracing.com). The front fenders fit good, the drivers side body line to the door is sunk just a bit causing contact. All you do is take a piece of metal (I used an old license plate) and pull the fender out to match the lines, few self tapping screws to secure the bracket and done. You'll need to drill out the mounting points, but use the OEM fender as a guide. For the rear, I shaved the 1/4 lip so the panel sat flush. Use self tappers or rivets and done. Body filler around the edges if you want it seamless. I was very happy with it. Its wide though. For reference, WRX wheels are sunk.

Ill see if I can find some shots of my old coupe...pretty sure they're on my facespace.

That would be awesome thanks man!!! glad to hear it was a decent fitting product. How about the material strenght and thickness?

·
Loves Gravel
2001 STM 2.5RS Sedan
389 Posts
That would be awesome thanks man!!! glad to hear it was a decent fitting product. How about the material strenght and thickness?
Id say it was thick enough to be workable, and plenty strong. I slid the ass into a snow bank (10mph) and it was fine. Just bounced off the bank.

finally a legitimate review lol
;-)

·
Registered
'00
489 Posts
aerosim still does sell teh kit. i've been to his shop numerous times and my jaw drops everytime i go thurr. his stuffs are very nice and they run wider than teh 22B. if you can afford it get teh CF, 22 lbs for teh whole kit, if i remember correctly... dam!

good luck...

·
Loves Gravel
2001 STM 2.5RS Sedan
389 Posts
My one beef with AIT panels is it doesn't have the integrated side skirts. The aeroism kit is badass though. AIT panels weren't designed to be molded on. Easier to make the aeroism kit look more "authentic."

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
if your daily driving the car im going to recommend you just buy oem quarters over fiberglass.... the longevity of fiberglass will never last in places where the seasons change. to mention if you wreck say goodbye to your hard work

·
Registered
99 White Mock 22B / 2004 Forester XT / 2013 BRZ Limited
6,691 Posts
I have daily driven and raced my RS for about 3 years now with a fiberglass widebody. I can see some cracks here and there but the paint wasn't the best to begin with so not positive with the kit itself.

The one I bought was built off a mold of an HTAutos kit and it is pretty strong. Fate066 has the same kit and I have seen him bang on his fenders and they pop right out with no issues of cracking.

The Aerosim kit looks amazing but in the end it is all in how much you want to spend and if you go cheap, how much time/money you want to spend on making it look right. The Aerosim WRC version is the widest that I have seen also. Depending on your tire size, the AIT/HT/ebay ones will be a little smaller. I have 275's and you can see the poke in the front on mine. The AS is supposed to fit a 17x10 with 275 with no poke.

Just for reference, here is mine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.