Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS BRP
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search haven't found answer. Anyone running 225 50 16 on stock wheels without rubbing? I have lowered the car with Eibach Pro-Kit.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
thinking about getting the yoko avi's??? i was thinking about doing the 225 thing too, but then i just decided to go with 17" wheels...
i've been told that 225 is just too wide. but i really don't think that is the case.
not very much help, sorry :)
greg

·
Registered
796 Posts
I am racing on 225 Hoosiers. I posted some info about it on this thread.

Yes you can run 225 50-16 on stock rims. You can probably even run 225/45-17 on 17x7.5 rims with out much trouble. You probably don't even need to roll the fenders like I did, just get some 5 mm spacers for the rear. And I will tell you this, there is not a much meaner looking car on the road than an RS with 225s all the way around. :D

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS BRP
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Templar, thanks for the info. Where can I get these spacers, will any tire shop have these? Just wondering if you think I will have to remove the fender lining like you did for the Hoosiers.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS coupe (9/01-1/04)
236 Posts
Measurements like 215 or 225 aren't always very accurate. You need to check and find the section widths, that's what's important. From what I've read, anything wider than 9.1" section width (at the widest part) will rub on stock suspension. I've also heard, that with stock rims and stock offsets, the tires will usually rub on the struts before they'll rub on the fenders.

www.tirerack.com posts specs for things like section width and tread width and the like. Check it out sometime.

-scott-

·
Registered
796 Posts
I agree with Scott about finding out the information, unfortunately sometimes it is innacurate. For instance the cross section width of the Hoosiers I have (mounted) is 9.74 inches. Hoosier (and therefore TireRack) specs say it is 9.3 inches wide. Perhaps unmounted it might be a little more narrow, but all of their 225 width tires are listed as 9.3 inches wide.

Anyway, regardless of that, if you go to a manufacturers website and search for overall tire height,or diameter, and cross section width, you can get a pretty good guideline by using the Hoosier specs I posted. I am quite certain that the Hoosier 225s are as wide as you would ever want to put on a GC8 chassis. They are, as I said, almost 235 widths in honesty. However, they are also shorter than stock size by a small amount. An average 205/55-16 is 24.9 inches in diameter. So the Hoosier is right at 4 tenths of an inch shorter than stock. Meanwhile a 225/45-17(again, average size) is 25.0 inches in diameter, which means it is a small amount taller than stock. What does all this mean?

Ok, from what I have seen in the adventures of making the Hoosiers (essentially a 235/45-16 tire) fit on my car, I would be willing to attempt a 225/45-17 if it is no more than 25 inches overall diameter. And you will definately need at least a 5mm spacer in the rear, I had to use a 1/4 inch spacer (6.35mm) and longer wheel studs. Plus, you are probably going to have to roll the front fenders.
To be honest, I don't know if I needed to do this in the rear, but I figured since I was at it I would go ahead. In my experience the rubbing problems on a GC8 occur against the strut in the rear, but against the top center inside fender lip in front during hard cornering or bumps. And somewhat against the top inside fender well during full lock steering (usually only low speed parking lot stuff). I have not had this problem with the Hoosiers since they are shorter than other wide tires I have fitted, even though they are wider. And to be completely honest with you about all of this I am only going to run the 225s for racing. On the street I will run 215/45-17s. I am just laying the info out for everyone.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I just picked up a set of 225-50-16 Hoosiers tonight. All I can say is HOLY FUCK these suckers are W I D E!

I don't think we'll need to go any bigger than this for our needs! Good thing we're a 2 driver car or I'd be worried about the ability of heating them up to proper temps for ultimate grip!

We'll have them mounted up soon and I'll report the gains after we scrub them in.

Again...no reason to go wider than 225's. I doubt that anything less than tooth-chipping-brain-scattering suspensions will benefit from the sheer girth!

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,235 Posts
My 2nd Necro-Bump of the day! I'm on a Roll!

I've worn my set of 205/45/16 Hoosiers to the cords. Time for a new set.
I really want to put a set of 225/50/16s on. The 205/45 was too short!!
Can you take a wild guess from your experience, of if I'd need to roll my fenders, plus need some 5mm spacers, on stock 6-spoke RS wheels, with a set of 225/50/16 hoosiers? I really want 225s, but I just hate the idea of buying a set, mounting and balancing them, only to find that I have a set of 4 fenders to roll, and some more spacers to buy. I guess I'd just like to be prepared.

What about Kumho V710 or Toyo R888s? They are a little skinnier than Hoosiers right?
Hoosiers just happen to be much more plentiful to choose from Used.
JB Racing Tire says that Kumhos and Toyos come and go, but Hoosiers are almost always in stock.

Oh yeah, I'm sporting a set of BC Coilovers too. And a 24mm FSB + 20mm RSB.

Cheers

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS - #74 ST
129 Posts
My experience with unmodified fenders:

• 225/50-16 Kumho V700 (not the Victoracer) on RS wheels fits with the stock suspension
  • 225/50-16 Bridgestone RE-01R on RS wheels fits with Gymkhana springs and Konis; also fits with RCE T2s if you have the right combination of camber and/or springs
  • 225/45-17 Bridgestone RE-070 on STi BBS wheels is the same as the above

If you still have that rubber trim strip around the fender lip, the 225's will rub on big bumps but it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
66 Posts
WOW, I last replied on this thread the day I got out of the Marine Corps! been a while huh?

Almost all of the drag radials run rather large in there categorized sizes. Even with my 225/45-16 high performance summer tires (then) would rub... In the wild guess you ask for, the ones you want will rub. Especially a 50 series. I would check with the manufacturer websites and see the actual specified measurements. My Yoko A520's from above are long gone and out of production, but maybe compare the ones you want with Recnelis' post above...

Hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts