Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
EJ205 1996 Brighton coupe
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After winning the Detroit Region SCCA RallyCross MA championship 2 years in a row, and having the fastest times at the National RX Championship, I know where I want to go and my old rust widebody coupe can't take me there. This car has been a test bed for this new chassis I always wanted to be perfect. All the engines, radiators, transmissions axles, everything I broke was only to make this car right the first time.
(thread Here: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t192124-widebody-rallycross-coupe.html)

About 6 months ago I picked up a beat up, but rust free sedan for dirt cheap (my 24th Subaru). This past week I finally finished all my side projects and brought it in to start the tear down. Two days later the only thing left attached is the windshield. All lines, brackets, doors, wires, sensors, fuel tank... All removed.

Short term goal with the new car:
Add lightness. Going to tube the front and rear parts of the car in attempt to reduce weight as much as possible while increasing stiffness. I will seam weld the car as well. When the chassis is complete, I will transfer over the Powertrain from the Coupe. I would like to have this car ready for RallyCross nationals Summer 2017.

Long term Goal:
I am getting married in June. After the wedding I can start putting adult money into cars again, and I will install a Rally America/ ARA / NASA spec Cage. my goal is to get the car to weight 2100-2200lbs with a pro rally cage. I will have a few set ups for the car, a tarmac set up in lightweight mode, with tarmac suspension for track days and tarmac hill climbs. I will have a soft/light RallyCross set up. and Eventually have an Open Heavy set up for the car with proper gravel coilovers and 700 lbs of ballast to meet the 2900lbs class minimum weight restriction, as well as a restrictor.

I currently use a JDM ej205 engine for 9.0:1 cr, VF48, and sti TMIC, 1000cc ID injectors, AVO inlet, ACT 9lbs flywheel. I plan to keep the car close to this set up for a few years, as this engine/turbo are cheap to maintain and replace and I am happy with the power to weight ratio of my Coupe.
I also plan to re-use my 1999 sti RA limited DCCD 5 speed trans and r160 rear diff. I like to keep it light, and I haven't broke anything yet, other then a issue I had with a few axles. If the trans lets go, I'l be upgrading to straight cut gears. I love the close ratio of the RA gear set and 4.44 FD.
I will re-use my wrx 4 pot front brakes and H6 rears, HP+ all around. new hydraulic hand brake set up.
Suspensions will very depending on the form of racing. I currently have a Rallycross strut and spring combo, and a set of sti struts for tarmac.
I will re-use my spec C lateral links.
I have a TSS fab rear subframe arriving in a couple weeks.
going to solid mount the T bar.
I have a set of hiem joint trailing arms.
front subframe and control arms will get Poly bushings (already have them).
I have 05 sti steering rack, but this may change to a wrx rack with a 2:1 steering quickener.

7/27/2017:

8/28/2017

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
A few pictures I took while we were stripping the car:

rear window was broke when I got the car. Makes it easier to replace with lexan:

It was cold enough here in Michigan, the insulation usually came out with a tap of the hammer.

Then I got sick and had to look at the car sitting like this for 4 days:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
While I was sick last week, laying around the house, I made some sketches of my plans to tube the front and rear of the car:

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
What are you planning for metal on the front end? thin wall steel tubing? My impreza is going to be going for a bit of a refresh aswell, i've got a few tricks up my sleeve for it...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are you planning for metal on the front end? thin wall steel tubing? My impreza is going to be going for a bit of a refresh aswell, i've got a few tricks up my sleeve for it...
I'll be using a variety of tube diameters, but mostly be using cage quality steel. nothing exotic as I am cheap. I hope to remove every ounce possible from the front of the car. I'll be removing a lot from the rear as well. Where GRC teams use Kevlar and Carbon, I'll be using plastic.

I think 2000 lbs without a cage in it, is realistic, possibly less.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Maybe, I think to keep it functional as a car/rallycar it will still need to be about 2200lbs. The MTCS impreza was something like 2000lbs without the driver, and there isn't a lot of car left there. He has a cage but probably only about 40lbs of it. Did you ever weigh yours? mine was actually quite hefty at 2650lbs on a truckstop scale.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I think if you did get it down below 2000lbs without a cage it would just be floppy.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found some sketches of sedan wide body concepts from about a year ago, hidden in my desk at work.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Picked up some steel form a local supplier on my way home yesterday:

After helping a local kid diagnose a bad coil pack, helping a friend find an exhaust leak, and selling a used stock exhaust, I changed the oil and prepped my current RX car under the new car, last night. RallyCross Saturday, will likely be icey frozen ground with little to no snow. going to be a rough one with temps around 0*F with wind-chill.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still have the heater?

Living in Socal, I may go with an aftermarket blower unit like Rem's
I put the heater in the garbage can yesterday. Goes out on Monday if you want it.

I'm going with a smaller aftermarket heater unit.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I just said I was going aftermarket too :lol:

Just curious on your feedback in the cold ;)
In my current car, I deleted the HVAC controls, put the heater motor on a on/off switch, and left it set to "defrost". It takes awhile to warm up in the cold, due to the giant radiator I use, but it defrosts and warms up the car at any temp.

My buddy up the street has a swapped GF wagon, and he uses a computer fan for his heat, it's enough to defrost the windows.

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,709 Posts
This is awesome, hopefully I'll see you at the rallycross this weekend!
Sorry to hijack...you guys going to the rallycross at Crystal? If so, I'll be there with the Fervor OBS. Come say hi!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry to hijack...you guys going to the rallycross at Crystal? If so, I'll be there with the Fervor OBS. Come say hi!
Just saw this, but yes, I was there in my Coupe. It was running like crap. But at least I finished (Sorry about your shifter, I heard that's what ended it for you guys). I like the new Fervor tow rig too BTW.

1 - 20 of 307 Posts