Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

81 - 100 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
470 Posts
Quick Clip: 2015 Subaru WRX (Sound bite) - YouTube

Exhaust Note teaser. It's definitely running ELH. Not sure how I feel about that. I've read arguments about Unequal vs Equal quite a bit, but I don't know that (unless you're building a serious racecar) that there's enough difference to warrant a change on a stock car.

Also, pretty sure this is the CVT version they're driving.

·
Registered
2005 2.5RS
150 Posts
Some other details that I couldn't fit in the review: the steering rack is tighter at 14.5:1 (versus 15:1 previously), the steering wheel is smaller (but not as small as the BRZs), the seats have a movable headrest due to safety requirements (but they're really nice anyhow), the front stabilizer bar is upgraded from 21mm to 24mm, the rear bar is 20mm (previously 19mm), rear springs are 62% stiffer than before. Also, SI-Drive now adapts intelligently to driving style, going to the 8-speed stepped mode when driving aggressively. The car also stays in the SI-Drive mode you last used (I or S, not S#). This is due to the way the car was rated by the EPA. The MPG numbers you'll see are basically a mix between I and S, not optimum MPGs which is why, on paper the CVT gets only 19 city / 25 hwy / 21 combined whereas the 6MT gets 21/28/24.

·
Registered
'99 BDP Impreza RS
1,270 Posts
Comparing them to GC mirrors (and many other cars) they protrude from the door so oddly and don't match or line up with anything. Now automotive designers decided to put a small triangular window in the corner, I assume to increase visibility (doubt it makes a difference though I don't think I've driven a car with these mirrors) and stuck the mirror against the door in a goofy fashion. Just my opinion, they don't look good and don't need to not look good. Like going out of your way to make something look worse. The old design wasn't broke, why fix it?

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
470 Posts
There's dozens of cars that have this implemented. Visibility issues are probably the main reason, but foreign and domestic brands have been doing this for quite some time... and they still are.

Subaru started this design on the '12 Impreza. It's made it's way onto every new vehicle design since then. XV Crosstrek, BRZ, Forester, now the new WRX and soon-to-be the new Outback and Legacy.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
I don't think it's for visibility. I think it's probably so they can make a smaller side window. This way, when the side window is rolled down, it leaves an empty space where you can mount larger speakers. None of those speaker clearance issues we have with the GCs. If they mounted the mirror there, they would end up with a larger side window or a tiny sliver of a glass that doesn't roll down.

That's the only conclusion I could come up with. It's definitely not for visibility.

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,381 Posts
the wagon isn't going to happen.
stop trying to make it happen.

THAT BEING SAID I WANT A BLUE ONE.

I really wanted to splurge for the STi.
but now im slowly being convinced to get a wrx.

81 - 100 of 141 Posts