Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 141 Posts

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
MY16 Impreza Sport Limited
4,773 Posts
Ok here's the rundown on the evolution of auto makers and the new design for automobiles.
There's only so many ways to make a car look different from the rest and as we slowly progress into the future, looking like an individual design is quickly fading. Of course they're all starting to blend back into one mutual blob, they all started from the same format.

On that note, I love it. I honestly think it looks like a modern, updated version of our cars. The front grille is shaped similarly, the head lights and the lower grille, the bumper signals right near the fog lights. Granted they stole the rear diffuser from an Evo X but overall. I still love Subaru and their designs.

·
Registered
'01 L-wag BRP
239 Posts
I'm both relieved and dismayed.

For one, I HATED the idea of separating the Impreza/WRX. But looking at this reveal makes me think the designers agree with me.

on the other hand, I hated the new impreza when it came out but now I kinda like it, (even bought my wife one) so I don't really hate this car.

it does need less anemic wheels though.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Granted they stole the rear diffuser from an Evo X but overall.
Are we looking at the same cars, cause the rear diffusers look different. If you look at the 2015 WRX's rear diffuser, it's the 2003 Spec C's rear diffuser with some fins.

Even then, I think they took styling cues from aftermarket RX-8 rear diffusers. There's even room to put the triangle (rotary) brake light in it.

-----------

Do I like the design? No. Will it grow on me? Probably not. So far, for me, the GC body style, the blobeye, and the last body style are the only ones I like.

It's bad enough the Impreza has gotten big, but this thing just looks gigantic. Also, not very aggressive. Maybe the STI will change that, but I don't see that happening with this Subaru Legacy WRX.

·
aka arangov3
Do noffin Foz
2,802 Posts
with all the money spent on the presentation you would think that someone wouldn't have to crawl over and turn on the thing to make it spin

other then that it is about time they make the 6 speed on both the sti and wrx because that alone would have driven me away from one but I would rather have a wagon still

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Whoever designs the Subaru wheels is all over the place. We had those old ugly 5 spoke star pattern WRX wheels, which no one liked. The last WRX/STI had nice wheels, but they were like swapped. The WRX had the really nice wheels, while the STI had the okay wheels.

·
Registered
2001 BRP 2.5rs
1,206 Posts
I think it's an improvement over the last body style. I like it. Do I love it? No, it'll be extremely difficult for me to "love" any new car ever again the way they're now developed.

That being said, I actually really fancy the new interior. Much more high quality, attractive, and less plasticky looking.

As for the side looking bland, I think it has mostly to do with the rear fenders looking small. Last year, they looked to bulge out a lot more. I think the new WRX's rear fenders are probably around the same size; it's just that they're more hidden streamline with the taillights, whereas last year the rear fenders bulged out separately.

Last year

Now.

·
Registered
2001 BRP 2.5rs
1,206 Posts
Also, I think some might be quite disappointed when the new STI comes out. I was hoping for the new FA20 turbo layout to also carry over on the STI, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The STI will still be a 2.5L. Unless Subaru designed a 2.5L FA (very doubtful), rumor has it, it'll be an "updated" EJ25 with direct injection and the front mounted turbo.

·
Registered
'01 L-wag BRP
239 Posts
Also, I think some might be quite disappointed when the new STI comes out. I was hoping for the new FA20 turbo layout to also carry over on the STI, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The STI will still be a 2.5L. Unless Subaru designed a 2.5L FA (very doubtful), rumor has it, it'll be an "updated" EJ25 with direct injection and the front mounted turbo.
that's the most depressing thing in this thread

·
Registered
98 GM6 EJ207 V7
704 Posts
I don't wanna go OT but I just want to throw out the Legacy Concept they unveiled at the same time looks pretty sick. I never get excited about "concepts" but bravo if it comes out looking anything like it. As far as the new WRX...I'll reserve judgement until I see it in person, but I'm sure it will grow on me over time. It looks very plain jane to me now...but the one I saw was red and I'm not a huge fan of red.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Wow, I am really digging that interior, minus the steering wheel and the size. I hate when anything more than the airbag and horn are integrated into the steering wheel. Just give me little finger paddles to control the radio or something. Also look how far that thing stretches forward. It looks like you can put a large pizza on there and still have space to put a shoe box behind it. The GEs dash is pretty large too though.

And that Legacy Concept is terrible. I feel like I'm looking at a Ford Fusion concept with a Subaru badge on it.

Guess the only thing to look forward to is the like..2020 WRX/STI or something.

21 - 40 of 141 Posts