Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, sort of. :) As of now this news is a few days old (yay for WTLW), but I don't think anyone else posted it yet...

SUBARU UNLEASHES NEW 265 HP 2009 IMPREZA WRX
New WRX Based on “Kyo-Ka” Goal:
More Power, Quicker, Sharper-Handling

CHERRY HILL, NJ--Performance leaps to a higher level in the 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX thanks to a 265-horsepower turbocharged intercooled Boxer engine, retuned suspension and wider, lower-profile summer performance tires. The Impreza WRX moves closer to its supercar stablemate, the WRX STI in spirit, performance and styling with a new familial grille, integrated front spoiler and body-side moldings and gunmetal gray alloy wheels.

The project team developing the 2009 WRX had a clear aim, summed up as “Kyo-Ka” (translated from Japanese as “strengthening”). To reach their goal, Subaru engineers thoroughly revamped the car’s performance character. With a larger turbocharger, increased boost and a new low-density catalyst for reduced exhaust backpressure, the WRX engine now produces 265 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 244 lb.-ft. of peak torque at 4,000 rpm (vs. 224 hp and 226 lb.-ft. in the 2008 model.)

To supplement the increased power, Subaru re-tuned the WRX suspension, increasing spring rates and adding thicker stabilizer bars. Standard 17 x 7-inch alloy wheels wear 225/45R17 summer performance tires, compared to 205/50R17 all-season tires on the 2008 WRX.

The 2009 Impreza WRX is equipped exclusively with a 5-speed manual transmission and, like all Subarus, Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive. The Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) stability and traction control system, standard on all Impreza models for 2009, helps to enhance road handling safety. An Incline Start Assist feature can help prevent the vehicle from rolling backward when being driven away from a stop on a hill.

Rally-Inspired Interior
The WRX interior for 2009 gains new WRX-exclusive carbon black checkered upholstery, accented by red stitching. A standard tilt and telescoping leather-wrapped steering wheel is accented by red stitching, and standard aluminum-alloy pedal covers now include the driver’s footrest. Performance-design front seats come with the head restraint integrated into the backrest and provides a one-piece, sporty look. The optional Premium Package gains a power moonroof for 2009; other contents carry over, including the 10-speaker audio upgrade with auxiliary input jack, projector-beam fog lights, dual-mode heated front seats, heated exterior mirrors and a windshield wiper de-icer. A navigation system with video jack inputs is also available.

New GT model for 2009
A new Impreza 2.5GT model for 2009 (4-Door and 5-Door) is powered by a 224-horsepower turbocharged intercooled Boxer engine mated exclusively to a 4-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission with SPORTSHIFT.

Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive
Subaru employs four versions of Symmetrical AWD system across its model line. The type used in the WRX utilizes a viscous coupling locking center differential that distributes torque 50:50 front/rear. Should slippage occur, the system transfers more power to the wheels with the best traction. The version of Symmetrical AWD used in the Impreza 2.5 GT utilizes an electronically controlled continually variable hydraulic transfer clutch.

All Impreza models for 2009 feature a 4-wheel disc Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist. (The WRX and 2.5GT models feature larger front brakes than other Impreza models.) All Impreza models are equipped with advanced dual stage front air bags, front seat mounted side air bags and side-curtain airbags.

Full pricing is expected to be announced August 25, 2008.

About Subaru of America, Inc.
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Subaru of America, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan. Headquartered in Cherry Hill, N.J., the company markets and distributes Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive vehicles, parts and accessories through a network of nearly 600 dealers across the United States. Subaru makes the best-selling All-Wheel Drive car sold in America based on R.L. Polk & Co. new vehicle retail registration statistics calendar year-end 2005. For additional information visit www.subaru.com.

Subaru, Impreza, WRX and STI are registered trademarks of Subaru of America, LLC

Note the STi-style front grille, sporting a WRX badge. :clap:

Bummer that they didn't fix the taillights. :( Nice otherwise...

Interior, note the red stitch:

More pics:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2009-subaru-impreza-wrx-and-2-5gt/952520/

Further quotes...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...x_zone/2009_subaru_impreza_wrx_2_5gt_car_news

"Having just refreshed the Impreza for 2008, Subaru is now announcing an improved WRX and an all-new model—the 2.5GT—for 2009.

Teaching the Not-So-Old Dog New Tricks

At the heart of the improvements to the WRX is a 41-hp bump to 265, shrinking the power gap between it and the bewinged and devilish STI—not to mention out-powering the new Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart. Torque increases 18 lb-ft, to 244. Available exclusively with a five-speed manual transmission, the new WRX gets its gusto thanks to a larger turbo and exhaust, in addition to a more free-flowing catalytic converter.

While the added power is sure to be the focal point for many, Subaru hasn’t ignored the enthusiast’s love for the turns, re-tuning the suspension for more aggressive handling, something the softer-for-2008 model desperately needed. Spring rates and anti-roll bar diameters are increased all around and damping is improved. Subaru says the new WRX will be more responsive with sharper turn-in, a claim we look forward to verifying.

We’re also told the new WRX will be equipped with various exterior goodies such as low-profile summer tires and a grille similar to the STI’s, and will come standard with the previously optional Aero Package. Both the hatchback and sedan will feature ground effects all around in addition to a rear spoiler, and the hatchback gets the diffuser from the STI. Various other small enhancements continue throughout the car—such as red stitching on upholstery—but much of the vehicle remains unchanged.

The New Kid on the Block

As the WRX receives its enhancements, another model will be making its debut for the Impreza lineup—the 2.5GT. Essentially a renamed version of the current WRX automatic, the 2.5GT will slot in above the 2.5i and just below the new and improved WRX. With the same turbocharged boxer engine we’re used to, the 2.5GT will put down the very same 224 hp and 226 lb-ft of torque.

The 2.5GT will come standard with the four-speed automatic transmission and be available in both four-door sedan and five-door hatchback form. Subaru’s Symmetrical All-Wheel-Drive system and Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) will also be standard, as they are across the lineup.

With these 2009 models raising the bar on performance for the Impreza line, we expect Subaru to give the STI a similar treatment in time. Having recently spied what looked to be a future Impreza WRX STI Spec C in near-production guise, we’d like to think that time is fast approaching."

Joe Spitz also has some general info:
http://www.cars101.com/impreza.html#what's new

As well as:
http://www.media.subaru.com/

And of course:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567589

Siper2's Thoughts! :)

- Power and suspension upgrades are a ***HUGE*** thumbs-up, as well as offering summer tires in 225/45-17!
- The front grille is very cool, as well as the wheel treatment.
- Front rotors are the same 294mm ones with 2-pots. Rear rotor size goes up a bit, to 287mm, but is still a 1-pot. 4/2-pots would've been nice, or better yet, LGT rotors/calipers.
- Wish they'd smoked out or turned the taillights solid red

The power boost is long, long overdue for the WRX. Frankly, I think the car deserves it. On NASIOC, opinions, as usual, are heated: most STi owners hate it, there's "not enough of a boundary" between WRX and STi, now. However in my opinion, the cars are blood brothers; the WRX should be closer to the STi than it is to the 2.5i and Outback Sport. If Subaru really wants to make the STi special, they can seriously beef up the spring rates, and offer a Recaro seat package. The things already exist overseas...

A lot of 2008 owners seem upset, but I don't see why they should be - at only a year old, resale is strong. Trade up.

The power boost could mean only good things for Legacy owners, with the 2010 redesign just around the corner. Subaru may be boosting its power in the turbo H-4 models, just a hunch. :cool:

-Chris

·
Registered
2000 BRP Impreza RS
746 Posts
Nice find, but in my opinion they still look like butt, maybe it will grow on me but i don't think so.

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS Impreza 4 door
3,408 Posts
I was about to post that the 2009s are 265 horsepower because I saw it on the Subaru commercials during the X-games.

·
Banned
1994 Aegean L, 1998 Panda!
718 Posts
Good post. You actually put some information out there that wasn't known by many.
Thank you.

I do think that the power boost is long overdue too but they need to take the STi more seriously. Sure its potent in its own right but it is stagnant and needs to differentiate itself from the rest. I remember back in 2001 when many people were raving about how the WRX was coming to the U.S. and quoting its 0-60 time and whatnot.
Then came late 2002-early 2003 and people where all hyped up that a 300HP AWD 6 speed car was going to be unleashed. That was wonderful, however, little has changed with the car and it is being both threatened and surpassed by just about everyone's offerings now. It is time for a change. If I was in the market for a new car for around 35k or so the only thing that would sway me to an STi would be the boxer engine and AWD. It has much to offer but its power is no longer sufficient out of the box compared to what other cars are offering for the same price or less.

It's just sad to see what was once regarded as a legend becoming so common and blending in with everything else as far as performance and styling goes.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice find, but in my opinion they still look like butt, maybe it will grow on me but i don't think so.
I think the rear of the sedans look a bit weak, and I loathe the tail lamps on the hatch.

Otherwise, I really like it. I always challenge those folks (I'm not pointing at you, just in general) who say that "it looks like an econobox."

Well, it's an Impreza. It's a small family sedan/compact car. Always has been, even since the first one for MY1993. If you look at cars back then, the Impreza looked like the Corolla, a couple of Geos..... a whole bunch of cars.

So long as you're producing a mass-market car for a segment as huge as the Impreza's is, well it'll have to conform somewhat. The differentiation should come with specialty editions like the WRX and STi. In that respect, I applaud this upgrade for the WRX, since the '08 was weak at best, compared to the STi. It looked more like a 2.5i, and I'm sure that irked more than a few owners.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good post. You actually put some information out there that wasn't known by many.
Thank you.

I do think that the power boost is long overdue too but they need to take the STi more seriously. Sure its potent in its own right but it is stagnant and needs to differentiate itself from the rest. I remember back in 2001 when many people were raving about how the WRX was coming to the U.S. and quoting its 0-60 time and whatnot.
Then came late 2002-early 2003 and people where all hyped up that a 300HP AWD 6 speed car was going to be unleashed. That was wonderful, however, little has changed with the car and it is being both threatened and surpassed by just about everyone's offerings now. It is time for a change. If I was in the market for a new car for around 35k or so the only thing that would sway me to an STi would be the boxer engine and AWD. It has much to offer but its power is no longer sufficient out of the box compared to what other cars are offering for the same price or less.

It's just sad to see what was once regarded as a legend becoming so common and blending in with everything else as far as performance and styling goes.
I'm confident that the STi will get its just desserts with this initiative by Subaru. Maybe not for '09, but if not, then for '10 I'm sure. Just a guess, but I agree that it should also improve. The car should at the very least get a few more ponies, and a much more appropriate suspension tune.

However, then again, the '09 STi may in fact get a suspension improvement. The spring rates on the stock WRX will now be greater than the STi Pinks.

·
Registered
2000 BRP Impreza RS
746 Posts
I think the rear of the sedans look a bit weak, and I loathe the tail lamps on the hatch.

Otherwise, I really like it. I always challenge those folks (I'm not pointing at you, just in general) who say that "it looks like an econobox."

Well, it's an Impreza. It's a small family sedan/compact car. Always has been, even since the first one for MY1993. If you look at cars back then, the Impreza looked like the Corolla, a couple of Geos..... a whole bunch of cars.

So long as you're producing a mass-market car for a segment as huge as the Impreza's is, well it'll have to conform somewhat. The differentiation should come with specialty editions like the WRX and STi. In that respect, I applaud this upgrade for the WRX, since the '08 was weak at best, compared to the STi. It looked more like a 2.5i, and I'm sure that irked more than a few owners.
You make a good point, but i still dont like it :). Hopefully in a few years they will get a more aggressive look, but yes the power upgrade next year is quite a good step up, and i must say it looks a LITTLE better then the 08, but still like i said not my taste :(.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sooby25RS,

That's fine, hey, poTAYto, poTAHto. :)

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree. I'd actually pay money for the Sedan. I wouldn't even piss on the hatch. IMO.
The only thing that detracts me from the hatch are those taillights. I wonder if there's better JDM ones; probably.

Otherwise, I'd take a hatch over a small sedan any day.

·
Banned
349 Posts
It is a little better but I still dont like the look of the sedan. I cant put my finger on it, but something about it just gives it an non aggressive look(i think it may be the rear of the car...just looks porky). However, the bump in HP is awesome for the WRX. Also having a 224 somewhat base model is cool, except for the fact that you cant get it with a manual.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I think the automatic-tranny market is too huge to ignore, and average horsepower these days is probably north of 200hp, which wasn't the case not so long ago. So I'm sure Subaru wanted to package the GT as something for a large percentage of the mainstream.

As I said before, I agree about the rear of the sedan; I wouldn't say porky, but definitely nondescript. It's okay to be conformist, but the rear of the sedan looks like a Picasso experiment. The taillight shape/angles I think do a lot of it, at least for me.

But, knowing Subaru, there will be several freshenings.

·
Registered
BRP ver5 RSTi, Beater Leggy
370 Posts
I wonder how cheaply the 2.5GT can be had + a manual swap from an older impreza. It's already got the turbo'd ej255, essentially the same power potential as the wrx version. Could be a cheaper route than a wrx?

Might be too much trouble since we don't know exact pricing on each trim yet.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I seriously doubt it would be worth the trouble. IMO, anyway.

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
Keep in mind guys, that this is essentially what Porsche did, although Porsche redesigned the chassis/body as opposed to Subaru who just added/deleted stuff.

They essentially just inserted a car in between the WRX/Boxter and STi/Carrera. Everything is halfway in between. 224hp, 265hp & 300hp. Same goes for price.

It's funny how the 08 owners are frustrated, but technically according to the 09 structure they bought GT's with manual transmission, not WRX's. So they should be happy that they got the 08 at the price they did.

·
Banned
349 Posts
Well I think the automatic-tranny market is too huge to ignore, and average horsepower these days is probably north of 200hp, which wasn't the case not so long ago. So I'm sure Subaru wanted to package the GT as something for a large percentage of the mainstream.
yeah but to not even offer a manual is quite lame. Let's say someone wants something in that price range, but wants a manual. They will go with the other competition if the other offers a manual. Just seems like making it exclusive to an auto is unnecessary.

·
Registered
'02 PSM 2.5 RS
1,688 Posts
I'm really excited about all these changes! Really makes me consider getting a WRX again. Still leaning towards an STi eventually, but I might prefer getting a brand new WRX instead.

I like the aluminum foot rest! I hope it fits in my car and is cheaper then the $70 out now.

The '08 owners should have nothing to complain about. This will be a few thousand more expensive for sure, and they can easily upgrade their '08 to the same or more power for less then that. I see nothing to get upset about, it's a joke to complain about them improving their lineup. No one complained when the '06 got the 2.5L and 4 pots. The switch to the 2.5L was really much more important than a switch to a bigger turbo. Think about which is easier to change. There should be a nice supply of cheap upgrade parts from these in a year or so.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah but to not even offer a manual is quite lame. Let's say someone wants something in that price range, but wants a manual. They will go with the other competition if the other offers a manual. Just seems like making it exclusive to an auto is unnecessary.
Maybe, but the percentage of people who drive manuals has gone down even more, especially with the advent of auto-manuals...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts