Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 2.5 RS
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally unpacked my engine yesterday, and everything looked good. That was until a friend noticed a small crack on the right side inner timing cover.

The engine is from a 2007 with only 6000 miles.

My question:
I will definitely pull the front covers to look at the belt and the timing and make sure evertything is ok (make sure it hasn't skipped any teeth or anything like that in the accident). If everything is ok is it worth pulling the pulleys and everything just to replace that cover. It isn't a large crack and I was thinking of maybe trying to borrow a friend's plastic welder to fix it.

What are your opinions?

·
Registered
94LSwagonswap OL WRX and
2,411 Posts
Personally if the timing is ok and there is just a small crack in it i would leave it alone.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Depends on where the crack is and what you consider small. Plastic is pretty flexible and needs to be pushed pretty hard to crack, depending on the location of the crack. Check and see if any of the pullies cut into the cover underneath.

·
Registered
1998 2.5 RS
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depends on where the crack is and what you consider small. Plastic is pretty flexible and needs to be pushed pretty hard to crack, depending on the location of the crack. Check and see if any of the pullies cut into the cover underneath.
It is right where the head and cover come together on the side of the motor. I will take a picture tonight if it even shows up. I intend on pulling the front covers to look a the belt and pulleys.

Could it have been cracked during removal/packing/shipping?
I was thinking this also. The pedal assembly got damaged in shipping, and when I was moving it around the garage the fuel pump fell out of the packing. Wasn't packed very well.

If all looks ok I might try to plastic weld it or maybe just epoxy it to keep any dirt out.

Glad to hear that the consensus is that it is ok. I was not looking forward to tearing everything apart on a (basically) new engine just to replace that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts