Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Impreza 2dr, 04 Lancer EVO
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: I searched but couldnt find the answer I was looking for.

So I found an 06 Legacy Turbo with the EJ257 engine at a local auction sale. It has an automatic transmission which is one drawback because I was hoping to have a backup 5spd in case my tranny blew for whatever reason after the swap.

Anyways now the question is, I dont really know if this engine would be a direct swap to my 5 speed WRX tranny given that the Legacy engine is currently mated to an automatic. So does anyone know if I can just take out my 1.8 motor and LEGO the EJ257 into my engine bay and make it work, or do I have to swap the driveshaft and some other parts from the Legacy to make it work? :help:

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
The Legacy GT comes with an ej255 engine.

If you plan on transferring just the engine from the Legacy, then you shouldn't really need to do much; the engine and your existing transmission should mate together just fine. If your transmission is a phase 1 transmission (I believe phase 1 has 4 bolt holes securing it to the engine) , then the engine will just be secured with less bolts than it was in the Legacy.

The engine and your transmission will physically fit together, however.

·
Registered
97 Impreza 2dr, 04 Lancer EVO
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Now the complicated part is the ECU, what type of ECU would I have to get to make it run? Would I have to get an Ecutek or an Open flash(?) type of ECU?

·
Registered
2011 Legacy 2.5i Limited
219 Posts
Use the intake manifold/ECU/key/imobilizer from an 04-07 STi OR '06/'07 WRX. All of those must be from the same car or it won't run. So basically, that car can only give you its longblock, turbo, and some other bits for a swap.

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
True. If you don't have the original immobilizer key that matches the immobilizer and ECU on the Legacy, it won't run. If you can't get the matching key, you'll have to get another matching key/ecu/immobilizer.

And you can use the original ECU, as long as that immobilizer stuff is worked out.

·
Registered
98 legacy outback turbo
5 Posts
i think you will find that the 06 is CAN data so it will not work in a non CAN data car. i would use an 04 forester xt ecu and re flash it to what ever tune you want. you will have to change the wiring at the ecu and there are many mistakes in subaru wiring books, so it can be a challange but can be done.

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
i think you will find that the 06 is CAN data so it will not work in a non CAN data car. i would use an 04 forester xt ecu and re flash it to what ever tune you want. you will have to change the wiring at the ecu and there are many mistakes in subaru wiring books, so it can be a challange but can be done.
According to my, admittedly not very much, research I just did...Subaru started utilizing CAN Bus in 2007, not 2006.

·
Registered
98 legacy outback turbo
5 Posts
According to my, admittedly not very much, research I just did...Subaru started utilizing CAN Bus in 2007, not 2006.
many people seem to believe this, but an 06 LGT is CAN data. of this I am absolutely sure and even the Subaru wiring book for 06 says that it is CAN data.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts