Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS, 1997 Impreza L, 2022 Outback
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another jdm 2.0 swap but in a 2005.

Bought a 2005 RS Wagon 5-speed at auction with bad timing belt, opened engine and discovered the pistons were introduced to the valves. Anyway decided to go with the jdm 2.0 due to cost. $900 shipped & tax to the house from sunshine state jdm. Their eBay post advertises 50-65k motors, with the way the plugs were worn it seems like this engine had more miles than that. Not sure if there is a way to verify that but I am not bothered because it is definitely less miles than original lol.

They also advertise direct replacement for the ej253, which for the long block is pretty true. There were small differences that were easily to remedy. Once I got the 2.0 stripped of accessories, intake & exhaust manifold, I was able to see what needed to be swapped out.

First was the water crossover pipe bolted to the top of the engine, the coolant sensor is on the opposite side from factory. New o-rings and swapped that out for the original.

Next was the knock sensor. This year for the 2.0 had 2 wires while the 2.5 had a single wire, easy swap back to original.

Then I noticed the PCV outlet is not threaded for the 2.0 and the 2.5 is with a valve that threads into the location. After the intake was put in place I was able to figure out how to adapt a new pcv into place. Got new hose to come up from the nipple that's pressed into the block and found a pcv at the parts store that is the same diameter as the hose. Then just used an elbow and more hose to connect back into the intake.

I did have to use the original 2.5 intake manifold and harness though. From the research I was doing, I don't recall anyone mentioning this. 1) The harness connector is different, and 2) the 2.0 has a tgv system. I got worried the 2.5 manifold wouldn't fit the 2.0 engine, but thankfully to Subaru Legoability it bolted right up.

The P/S pump and A/C compressor are also different but I had the original stuff already hooked up when I pulled the original engine. The alternator looks identical but show different part numbers. I imagine there is a difference in amperage output but the jdm one having less miles was a better choice. I did notice the draw when turning on the blower motor and that's what makes me think the amperage is different between the two. But the jdm one charges so that's not a pressing issue.

Overall it was a very straight forward swap. Very few things had to be changed and what did need to change was easily identifiable. The engine showed up Monday morning and the vehicle was drivable by Wednesday of the same week. It really helps when you already have the engine pulled and have the right tools lol. New clutch, spark plugs, and oil change. No timing gear swap or other adjustments needed. Anyway took it around the block a couple times and everything seemed alright, still need to top off fluids and other minor things but it lives to see another day.

Didn't take very many pictures so sorry about that. But here are a few. The pcv system is temporarily in place, waiting for an oem hose to come in and I can finish it to make it look more factory I will post a few more pictures for reference.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
those pcv fittings are just pressed in to the block. appropriate pullers do the trick.
Adapting really isn't much work, idk if there is any more benefit to having the pcv so close to the block or not either. It is good to know they can be pulled easily though. New hose should be here Monday, ill get a few pictures but it should be very oem looking.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I did one of these swaps into a 2000 outback and it was dog slow compared to very fresh 2.5 rebuild. but, it came in on a hook and drove out so... it gets the job done.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the pcv system, then the last two pictures are of my temporary setup with stuff laying around the garage. For this setup I used 3/4 heater hose for the nipple in the block, a pcv valve off the shelf from the local auto parts store, factory clamps and factory hose connecting to the intake manifold. Altogether parts were under $20. Plenty of room for the ignition coil also.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Auto part Automotive tire Metal

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Hood

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exhaust Vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Car Automotive design

Automotive tire Fender Audio equipment Cable Automotive lighting

Wall Wood Gas Tints and shades Font

1 - 7 of 7 Posts