Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 RS 2.5 Wagon Aspen White
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post so I apologize for my rookie issues.
I have a 2005 RS Wagon, and I only have one interior dome light (the rear one). I assume there is SUPPOSED to be a map dome light, as there is a small hole for wiring where it should be installed. Now im not completely familiar with the interiors of other similar year subies, but I would be shocked if there wasn't a factory map dome light previously installed.
so my 2 questions are very easy...
1. is there supposed to be a dome map light installed already
2. if so, how can I go about installing and wiring one in?
Any help is greatly appreciated, as I cannot figure this out.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2002, Impreza 2.5RS, PSM
422 Posts
The 2002 -2007 model year 2.5rs/2.5i are considered the base model impreza, and as a result are missing a lot of extras, like the map light. Luckily you can install the map light from another Subaru, there is a thread on here somewhere about swapping the map light from a forester into an impreza. Actually I found it! http://www.rs25.com/forums/f189/t150647-forester-overhead-console.html Also might be worth looking around for a maplight from the same model year WRX.

·
Registered
2005 RS 2.5 Wagon Aspen White
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thank you very much! I am really surprised that wasn't a standard feature, hopefully I will install one!

·
Registered
2002, Impreza 2.5RS, PSM
422 Posts
- how will the fixture fit into my car, will the ceiling need to be modified or would it fit against it as is?
The fixture will fit in the exact location of the bracket for the map light, and will fit against the headliner as is. (look at the pictures in the thread I linked to.)
- I noticed a small hole where the light assembly looked like it would be installed, Is this used in the installation in the wrx/sti and could I use it in my own installation?
I am not sure where this small hole your talking about is, maybe someone who owns an 05 can chime in to say if they have it as well. Or you can post a picture of the hole you speak of.
- what kind of wiring will need to be done. how will I connect this new light to the preexisting light power supply?
Most people run power from the already existing dome light.
- how do I access the areas in interior necessary to install such modification?
Please use the search function, as I believe this has been covered, but you will need to remove the headliner of the car. In doing this modification you can go two routes, one involves swapping the entire headliner from a WRX/STI (which seems like more work than its worth) or you can just simply drill/punch a few holes through the one you already have (once you've dropped it to find the location of the map light bracket.)

**Disclaimer** I have NOT done this modification myself, so I cannot say for sure what you will find, my answers above are however based upon reading other members build threads as well as my own research. Before doing any type of modification to your car please read as much as you can about what it is that you want to do on here and on NASIOC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts