Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.5RS AW #78 SM B!
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured this would be useful information, for those like myself who can't afford Brembo or equivalent upgrade brakes..

My car hit 100,000 miles the other day, in its 100,000 miles run, it has had one set of brake pad change (Hawk HPS), and about 60 autocrosses.

So my rotors were toast after 3 or 4 runs at an larger course autocross the brakes would fade and the pedal would become all mushy and useless, I had to solve this problem, since my rotors were pretty mangled, I had read on both NASIOC and 25RS as well as ScoobyMods about RS owners upgrading their rotor size to WRX rotor size. Year depending, my 2005 had the 276mmx24mm rotors. WRX bears the 294m24mm rotors. It's a good 18mm bigger in diameter.

Instead of just buying new RS rotors and being done with it I decided to get WRX brake caliper brackets and run the WRX rotor sizes.. It's a cost effective way to get the most out of the OEM braking system without converting to either the OEM Subaru 4-Pot/Big Rotor upgrade or Brembo/Equivalent.

I've taken some comparison shots to show what difference there is..

Caliper Brackets:

Rotor Difference:

Finished:

This improvement is probably more noticeable on the older GC RS's, which pending on year may have the 260mmx24mm rotors. This would be a huge improvement for those cars..

I haven't finished doing the rest of the brakes yet so i'll update with feedback.

I'm on HAWK HPS right now, but primarily will be using these with the better compound HAWK HP+ later this month, maybe next.

There was raised concern when I posted this over on NASIOC by an individual about the 8% torque increase in the front due to this upgrade..

Personally 8% is not something i'd worry too much about if I knew there was better heat management, stability (instead of possibly having too much rear bias and looping it braking hard into a corner) and would only be more critical if I had done a major upgrade, 4pot Rotora/Stoptech/Brembo.

Hope this helps those questioning, if need be I can put up part #'s.

·
Registered
2005 Saabaru 2.5i
376 Posts
You're right about the increased brake bias in the front, but I (also) think you'll be fine. If you ran more brake in the rear, it could well become a handful as you say. More in front will be a help. I use better pads in front on my car to accomplish this. I say enjoy it.

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS Coupe
1,204 Posts

·
Registered
2001 RS-T/2015 XT
159 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS, 2.5 NA
113 Posts
Legacy H6 rear caliper brackets + rotors

DIY: "H6" Brake upgrade for 02-05 WRX/Impreza *Including 04-05 specific info* - NASIOC

excluding brake pads, this is how much the rotor + caliper bracket setup would cost you via RockAuto
[assuming 15201 is a zip code near your location]
Like CO671 posted... the brake upgrade for the rear is either the H6 rotors (290mm solid) or the LGT rotors (294mm vented - NorthUrsalia.com: Legacy GT Turbo Vented Rear Brake Swap). The WRX rear rotors were the same as our RS rotors.

KNS brakes has the kits as well.
Thanks guys for the answers. Just to clarify, I have an 05 RS so the rear 05 WRX rotors and brakes are identical to mine?

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS Coupe
1,204 Posts
Pretty sure that's a no lol sorry

I actually just googled that while on the pooper

10>18mm is pretty significant and I would ASSUME its because the rear 2pot calipers are stationary calipers with 1 piston on each side of the rotor requiring a wider space (approx. 18-19mm); whereas the stock RS/H6 caliper is a 1 piston sliding caliper and only needs 10-11mm of space

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS, 2.5 NA
113 Posts
Pretty sure that's a no lol sorry

I actually just googled that while on the pooper, but I don't know the exact answer.

10>18mm is pretty significant and I would ASSUME its because the rear 2pot calipers are stationary calipers with 1 piston on each side of the rotor requiring a wider space (approx. 18-19mm); whereas the stock RS/H6 caliper is a 1 piston sliding caliper and only needs 10-11mm of space
So you are comparing the 05 wrx to the 05 rs right?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts