Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I purchased a beautiful 2005 2.5rs in February. It was repainted, the interior was flawless, manual transmission, and had the timing belt, head gaskets, and some other assorted work done at 110K miles (currently at 181K). I noticed that the subframes and suspension components were getting some rust but I felt that at $2500 this was still a steal (no rust or rot anywhere else). The car started making a strange rumble when I start from a stop and I'm not totally sure where to start with this. Enough of the fluff. Heres whats going on

Symptoms
  • When starting from a stop in first or second gear, there is a short rumbling/crunching sound. Similar to what a bad CV axle sounds like. Sounds metal on metal. This sound actually vibrates the vehicle slightly.
  • The sound lasts about a second and only happens below 10mph. Highway driving and going around town is fine.
  • When starting and taking a corner the sound is worse.
  • There is no sound when I accelerate slowly (and I mean very slowly)
  • The sound seems to be coming from the rear. And sometimes it sounds like it is coming from underneath me and from the passenger's side
Recent work
- I recently got new Continental Extremecontact DWS 6s all around and an alignment. The sound started after the alignment. Car still drives straight as an arrow.

Other Useful info
  • I don't notice any howling or loud noises related to speed on the highway so I don't believe its a wheel bearing.
  • This only happens when I am in gear. I can slow down to a crawl in first gear and then accelerate and it will make the rumbling/clunking sound.
  • New slight vibration at highway speeds
  • No rumble/sound when downshifting
I think it might be a connection in the center diff or a failing rear differential. Both of those seem like expensive repairs so I hope someone could help rule those out.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
97 OBS 5MT
10 Posts
Sounds like a bad U joint. Very similar to how mine sounded and acted when it went bad. Start there. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a bad U joint. Very similar to how mine sounded and acted when it went bad. Start there. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I'm having my mechanic look at the CV axles, powertrain linkages from the transmission to the rear differential, and the wheel hubs. This is truly a mystery to me and I just don't have the means to look at it myself :( Hopefully they come up with a solution!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts