Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 2004 XS with 168k miles. It was a great deal so I’m not complaining about this next part just looking for advice:
It had typical Subaru oil leaking, looked to me like it’s coming from rear of engine and also head gaskets (coming from behind exhaust gaskets). Valve covers looked okay.
Had rear main seal replaced along with a new clutch, and the mechanic cleaned up the entire engine and tranny of the old burnt oil. I then took it home and performed an oil change.
It’s been a few days and I see the dripping coming back.
1.) dripping off oil filter 2.) coming from under exhaust gasket 3.) coolant is clean, as is oil
How do I know it’s head gasket? And how do I mitigate further damage? I plan to do a coolant change. Is there anything else?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
552 Posts
You can visually inspect the head gasket mating point from under the car. The exhaust is in the way on the passenger side but you can peek around it. Your other option is to wait till it overheats.

Some also seem to have issues with a seal above where the oil filters mount.

Hard to give you much more without being in front of it. If it were me I’d pull it before it overheats. Have the heads spec’d and/or decked by Napa. Put it back together with an OE gasket and water pump with a gates timing kit. Do the plugs, clean the PCV and MAF/MAP.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,239 Posts
Head gaskets will generally create a grey sludge on the bottom of the engine as the oil and coolant mix. Did your mechanic reseal the separator plate when they replaced the rear main? Your motor may be optioned with an oil cooler and the seals are known to leak fairly bad once they fail. Check just above your oil filter for a couple coolant hoses on a sandwich plate and you'll know if you have one or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts