Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has been sitting for a little bit and it has 214k. Need me some new clutch parts. Bearings etc. Also needs some suspension and brake work, if i were to replace all these things, would STI parts from the same year, or give or take a couple years be fine?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
667 Posts
Hi Zach, could you clarify what parts exactly you are trying to upgrade?

Clutch parts? Won't work from an STI
Bearings? Engine bearings, or? STI engine bearings will work.
Suspension, fully assembled 2004 STI suspension would be the only year sti that is a bolt on. You could use 04-07 STI springs on 04 non-sti stock struts, however.
Brakes? Well yeah, you could literally bolt the STI brembos onto your car, fronts directly fit, rears you have to get mounting brackets, and custom rotors or e-brake shoes for the ebrake to work. Expect to spend $1200+ for them on your car (Brakes, pads, rear brackets, 04 front rotors, custom rear rotors or shoes). Plus you need basically 17x8" wheels. Some 17x7" wheels clear brembos, but most don't.

Just remember that most used STI parts have been rode hard and put away wet. 04 STI suspension will probably be knocking (they all do eventually). Brembos will possibly need a rebuild. For the money you pay, you are probably getting high mileage, hammered parts. Better to buy new imo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the problem is that i haven't diagnosed exactly what specific parts will be replaced, i have had a whirring noise that happens when im in low revs, and goes away when i hit higher revs or when i engage the clutch. Based on second opinions we think it is the throw out bearing. Also a clunking noise in the rear right whenever there is someone sitting in the back seats, which makes me think suspension..Brakes are pretty obvious to tell when somethings wrong. I appreciate the feedback and would even be willing to get your number or snapchat etc if you would like, to show you some of these noises, before i go ahead and buy any parts, and to confirm that these are the parts i will need :)

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
667 Posts
Sorry bud, i don't have social media.

If it's a clutch related sound, even it it's "just" the throw out bearing, or pilot bearing or whatever, with the amount of work it takes to pull the trans or motor, you may as well just buy a oem-replacement Exedy clutch kit, with all those components. Plus a flywheel, unless yours is resurfaceable.

For the other parts, it really depends on your budget, and what you intend the car for. Regular replacements will be a few hundred dollars for KYB Excel struts, cheap rotors and good brake pads will be a couple more hundred.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry bud, i don't have social media.

If it's a clutch related sound, even it it's "just" the throw out bearing, or pilot bearing or whatever, with the amount of work it takes to pull the trans or motor, you may as well just buy a oem-replacement Exedy clutch kit, with all those components. Plus a flywheel, unless yours is resurfaceable.

For the other parts, it really depends on your budget, and what you intend the car for. Regular replacements will be a few hundred dollars for KYB Excel struts, cheap rotors and good brake pads will be a couple more hundred.
I actually have bought a full clutch kit from lordco flywheel etc so im covered there, and got KYB rear struts, gonna re use the springs and top hats etc considering they fit. Just did the front brakes about 25 minutes ago..i have access to a racetrack and hoist etc, so i thought it was more logical to get the clutch kit either way..hopefully the sounds disappear..it was an 04 with 214k on oiginal clutch, good chance thats the problem, even if its not, new clutch is probably required asap anyways...cheers for the second opinion lad!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts